Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

So I'm going from a Stock 2000 DX to...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2002, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I'm going from a Stock 2000 DX to...

So I'm going from a Stock 2000 DX to... a USDM B18C, AEM CAI, DC 4-1 Ceramic, custom 2.25" w/ Magnaflow muffler, Centerforce Stage 3 clutch and 7.5lb flywheel, Neuspeed Koni Yellows with Neuspeed Race springs, Sparco SPEED seat w/ Camlock race harness and a fully stripped interior (not even a passenger seat), with the battery relocated in the rear right side for better weight ditribution. Suspension Techniques rear 18mm sway bar, both front and rear upper strut braces and rear lower tie bar as well. Removed AC and no PS. Also, a full GSR brake conversion with KVR X-drilled rotors, HP+ for front pads, and EBC green in the rear (working on changing that). If I'm forgetting something, that's because there's too much to list and too much to pay for!

All in all, just over 10,000$ CAN... I've finally saved up a big chunk and getting all this work done late april, after I finish exams. Already put down a huge downpayment to the shop that's doing it all.

You guys think I'm gonna be happy? Anything you would have done different?

[Modified by Flex My DX, 8:49 PM 12/20/2002]
Old 12-20-2002, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: So I'm going from a Stock 2000 DX to... (Flex My DX)

Heh, I did the same thing. Only opposite.
From a quick, great handling automobile to a friggin commuter car in three days.
Old 12-20-2002, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So I'm going from a Stock 2000 DX to... (ekfour)

You're not installing stuff yourself? You should take this opportunity since it is such an extreme amount of parts to atleast install some of it yourself...And for those of you that are scared, a motor swap really isn't that difficult at all. Do it yourself and save lots of cash!
Old 12-20-2002, 10:31 AM

Default Re: So I'm going from a Stock 2000 DX to... (b16a ferio)

I can do suspension work myself. But not a swap. I barely have two screw drivers at my house, I have a nice garage but no engine hoist, I've got friend who could help me out and have the required tools but they have no time, families, etc.

As for doing the work myself, there's no such thing as warranty. And the place that's doing the work has an excellent reputation and will fix lotsa things for very little, if not free, should problems arise in the future.

Some of you must understand, that two years ago, I barely knew how to drive, let alone 5-speed, and had definitely never worked on a car in my life. And this is my first car.

Also, I have no time, I got to school and work full-time, so I can get an education and go somewhere in life, and to be able to pay off my mods.

[Modified by Flex My DX, 7:32 PM 12/20/2002]
Old 12-20-2002, 10:43 AM
Please don't hurt me!

Some of you must understand, that two years ago, I barely knew how to drive, let alone 5-speed, and had definitely never worked on a car in my life. And this is my first car
you gotta start some where
shops are only trying to get money out of you not be your friend and help you out
get some friends (make sure they know stuff)
start working on your car ull save a lot of cash this way

we've all been there
Old 12-20-2002, 10:51 AM

Default Re: So I'm going from a Stock 2000 DX to... (couter)

I'm getting so much stuff at once, that I'm getting a deal on just about everything. The B18C is installed for 3000$ US / 4500$ CAN. I wouldn't save that much if I wasn't counting installation.

But as I said, I go to school full time from early Jan, until late April, I and my friends don't have time to do something like this, and when I send in the car, I will get it back in a week instead of having someone work on it all summer long (weather that includes myself or not).

The price I am paying is fixed - if anything goes wrong, I'm still paying the same price. So none of that... "Hey my full swap is missing this, that, and the other.. now I have to buy it" ...
Old 12-20-2002, 11:03 AM

Default Re: So I'm going from a Stock 2000 DX to... (fowler)

Dang, three days. Well, my tired elbow really appreciates the support from the armrest
Old 12-20-2002, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So I'm going from a Stock 2000 DX to... (couter)

Some of you must understand, that two years ago, I barely knew how to drive, let alone 5-speed, and had definitely never worked on a car in my life. And this is my first car

you gotta start some where
shops are only trying to get money out of you not be your friend and help you out
get some friends (make sure they know stuff)
start working on your car ull save a lot of cash this way

we've all been there
I agree. I own a shop, and I will tell you it will be far cheaper and far more rewarding to you if you do the work yourself.

You'll learn so much about your car, how everything goes together, and you'll be more prideful and not run it into the ground if you do it yourself, becaouse you know what it took to make it what it is.

Do it yourself. Buy a Haynes and a Chilton's manual, go to Autozone or Pep Boys and rent some tools and a hoist, you and your buddy take a weekend off, skip school on Friday and you'll have it in and running by Monday.

You'll be happy you did.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: So I'm going from a Stock 2000 DX to... (Mr Miyagi)

Dang, three days. Well, my tired elbow really appreciates the support from the armrest
Ha ha, glad you like it
Old 12-20-2002, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

getting all this work done late april

LOL, dreamer, I mean I support you but hahahaaaaaa, kinda funny.
I am in Western NY and can help you with ALL of those installs.

EBC pads suck. And, uh, Hawk Blues or HP+ what are you talking about? They are two different pads. I suggest Porterfield RS4 pads all around. They are incredible street and autocross pads.

Also I suggest GC coilovers instead of Neuspeed Race springs... there is MUCH greater customization, adjustability and swappability possible with the GC's.

Dont ya want a front lip too? or a cf hood? or HID? or a cf hatch? Lexan windos?
nice list of mods to go after, good stuff.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:45 AM
New User

Default Re: So I'm going from a Stock 2000 DX to... (owen_the_soyboy)

some good tires
Old 12-20-2002, 11:47 AM

Default Re: So I'm going from a Stock 2000 DX to... (owen_the_soyboy)

I was waiting for someone to tell me that I'm a dreamer. Ah well... downpayment is made, the only reason this isn't being done NOW is beacuse I want to concentrate on my studies the next 4 months and it's winter here until June anyway!

As for the pads, I'm on crack. HP+ is what I meant to say, not Hawk blues. I'm currently working on finding something else rather then the EBC, I know they don't have a good rep.

Coilovers = waste of money as far as I am concerned, and as far as I'm willing to spend. I don't want/need height adjustibility. The SP3 Koni Yellows that I'm getting are specifically designed (not sure if "by") but for Neuspeed springs and have 5 perch setting - they are not the regular, 3-perch Koni Yellows.

I have a front lip, the "CTR Style" one, like the SiR, but goes down more agressivly. A cf hood is another grand, that will have to wait. I'm already thinking of Lexan but haven't found out what kind of costs are associated with doing that.

[Modified by Flex My DX, 8:49 PM 12/20/2002]
Old 12-20-2002, 11:48 AM

Default Re: So I'm going from a Stock 2000 DX to... (RK)

SiR wheels w/ Kumho 205/50/15 s... could be better, but if I upgrade tires, I will upgrade wheels as well, and I'm not in a financial situation to do that this spring. I'll just wait until the tires are smoked after a couple lapping events and go on from there.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:23 PM

Default Re: So I'm going from a Stock 2000 DX to... (efzero.com)

Thanks. That's how I see it as well. I'd love to it on my own, perhaps with some help from friends. But the lack of tools, money for tools, time, school, work, and not being able to drive until it's all done makes it all quite impossible.
Old 12-20-2002, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow that sound like a lot of **** to do too your car man...

I think you should leave the suspension to yourself, I mean save a couple of bucks and just install the suspension yourself and as you said let the shop do the motor swap...

Another thing to save money on is the brakes...you dont really need to spend a **** load of cash too improve the braking...I mean u can improve your braking with the front caliper and drum brakes in the rear setup instead of converting to GSR 4 Caliper setup..

One word comes to mind which is "Fastbrakes", they offer an upgrade kit for 96-00 Honda Civic

If you get the complete kit, you get:
1990-2000 Integra or Civic EX calipers (probably find those yourself...)
CNC machined 6061 T6 aircraft grade aluminum mounting brackets
11" OEM quality rotors
grade 8 hardware
hub centric rings

and lastly for brake upgrades, is a Intgera GS-R 4040 prop valve and brake booster

= a lot of savings, I am sure you can find some this items for real cheap.

Best thing too about having a front caliper setup is you save some weight because you dont the extra calipers and rotor setup for the rear.

I know I have seen you in the ClubSi Ontario form..ask around about what I have listed and you can find the calipers, GSR prop valve and booster for real cheap

Hope everything works out for you and keep us updated..Good luck dude

[Modified by EL-Driver, 10:56 PM 12/20/2002]
Old 12-20-2002, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think you're going to be happy with a fully stripped interior, especially if it's your only car. In fact, that's just plain asinine to me. It is, though, your choice.
Old 12-20-2002, 03:14 PM

Default Re: So I'm going from a Stock 2000 DX to... (Mike P.)

Well I'm pretty sure you PM'ed me, so I PM'ed you back.

Thanks for the brake suggestion, I'll have to look into it. But I'm running out of time.