Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

so i jumped a curb...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so i jumped a curb...

yeah, so it was rainy as **** tonight and i have hardly any tread left on my tires. i went to make a turn and when i turned my wheel, i kept going straight and caught some air over a curb. afterwards, my driver-side front tire is rubbing up against the fender and upon inspection, the axle is rubbing against the control arm... is there a way to fix this myself or do i need to take it to a shop... if i can fix it, what do i need to do...
Old 10-25-2003, 10:48 PM

Default Re: so i jumped a curb... (JReed)

stop being cheap and buy soem new tires.. then take it someplace to fix all the **** you broke
Old 10-25-2003, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Camber kit maybe? But im probably wrong, get a 2nd opinion on that, but also your going to want to get a wheel alignment as well cause if you caught air you probably fucked that all up, good luck.
Old 10-25-2003, 11:03 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JReed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah, so it was rainy as **** tonight and i have hardly any tread left on my tires. i went to make a turn and when i turned my wheel, i kept going straight and caught some air over a curb. afterwards, my driver-side front tire is rubbing up against the fender and upon inspection, the axle is rubbing against the control arm... is there a way to fix this myself or do i need to take it to a shop... if i can fix it, what do i need to do... </TD></TR></TABLE>
i'd suggest that since u have no clue, take to a shop and have them replace the parts. It could be as simple as a new lower bushing or a tie rod or as shitty as a lower arm and perhaps the hub and lower ball joint. Then u get to decide what you're going to do about the bent or cracked rim.
Old 10-25-2003, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: so i jumped a curb... (mathusala)

my guess is a bent axle, bent LCA (lower control arm), possible bent fork, bent rim, at the very fuggin least new tire. buy a helms, call some junk yards, do the work yourself and save a couple hundred bucks. Good luck. I totalled my hatch two weeks ago by hitting curb.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:23 AM

Default Re: so i jumped a curb... (BeerMan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BeerMan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my guess is a bent axle, bent LCA (lower control arm), possible bent fork, bent rim, at the very fuggin least new tire. buy a helms, call some junk yards, do the work yourself and save a couple hundred bucks. Good luck. I totalled my hatch two weeks ago by hitting curb.</TD></TR></TABLE>
before you guys start talking to other people about front suspension parts, you should learn their names. An lca is the link that connects the trailing arm to the chassis and supports the shock... in the rear. The lower arm and fork are cast iron and don't bend easily so check the chassis mounting points and associated bushings.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mathusala &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
before you guys start talking to other people about front suspension parts, you should learn their names. An lca is the link that connects the trailing arm to the chassis and supports the shock... in the rear. The lower arm and fork are cast iron and don't bend easily so check the chassis mounting points and associated bushings.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whatever, you also have a front lower control arm, and yes they bend easier than you think. How do I know this? Because I did it last weekend running over a curb.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mathusala &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
before you guys start talking to other people about front suspension parts, you should learn their names. An lca is the link that connects the trailing arm to the chassis and supports the shock... in the rear. The lower arm and fork are cast iron and don't bend easily so check the chassis mounting points and associated bushings.</TD></TR></TABLE>

A friend of mine bent his VERY easily.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:21 AM

Default Re: so i jumped a curb... (Carlo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Carlo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

A friend of mine bent his VERY easily.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ya, this really is a whatever - "easily" is relative. compare bending stamped steel to cast iron.
Old 10-26-2003, 07:27 AM

Default Re: so i jumped a curb... (BeerMan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BeerMan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Whatever, you also have a front lower control arm, and yes they bend easier than you think. How do I know this? Because I did it last weekend running over a curb. </TD></TR></TABLE>

so go to the majestic site or the helm's manual you spoke of and find a front lca. there is an extension off of the lower arm but it's part of the lower arm, not a separate component.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a totalled teg that hit a curb. 3 control arms are bent, the axle was snapped, airbags deployed and smashed windshield, shattered the wheel and rotor.

Here's some pics. LCA's do bend.

The car was not lowered. LCA's are bent.

Old 10-26-2003, 08:06 AM

Default Re: so i jumped a curb... (dwnthehatch)

whoa i guess i was lucky when i popped a curb and only popped the 2 passenger side tires
Old 10-26-2003, 08:14 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dwnthehatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I bought a totalled teg that hit a curb. 3 control arms are bent, the axle was snapped, airbags deployed and smashed windshield, shattered the wheel and rotor.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

man those two pics look exactly like what i see... the wheel/tire is rubbing up against the back of the fender and i looked and the axle is basically resting on the lower arm. what all did you have to do to fix yours???

i know i need an alignment and all that, but since it was raining like crazy last night i didn't feel like sitting out there for an hour inspecting things since it was dark and there wasn't anything i could do to fix it yet any way... the wheel is curbed really bad on the lip, but it's not cracked or bent, there is still air in the tire... and yeah i know i need new tires to whichever jackass said that... i was actually going to go earlier this week but my grandfather who i was REALLY close to passed away and i had to go to houston for the week...
Old 10-26-2003, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought the car just to keep the motor and transmission. I'm parting the rest of the car out. It actually ripped the sway bar out of the LCA. I just put a new axle in it so I can move it around. Both DS tires are rubbing on the springs.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if parts need to be "fixed" then Id recommend taking it to a shop, your front wheels are a pretty important part of you car and you definately want to make sure their accurate. If parts need to be replaced I'd recommend going to a junk yard and getting the parts and doing the job yourself
Old 10-26-2003, 08:23 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dwnthehatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I bought a totalled teg that hit a curb. 3 control arms are bent, the axle was snapped, airbags deployed and smashed windshield, shattered the wheel and rotor.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
That's butt-ugly. I've never said you couldn't bend lower arms, but you can also bust the mounts loose at the chassis, bust the ball joint, and crack the hub. wish you had better pictures and then you could see that that's exactly whats happened to your car. You didn't bend the cast iron shock fork and you didn't bend any control arms,, unless you want to call the tie rod a control arm.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know what control arms are and they are bent. I am not going to pull the wheel off for you to prove it. I was ASE certified in suspension when I was a mechanic. I gave up that job to work on computers since I make 3x the money.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:03 AM

hitting a curb sucks. i ran into one a couple of months ago goin about 40mph. had to replace the spindle, lower control arm, and winshield cause of the airbags. my rim got pretty fucked up too. ended up costing me $1500 to fix not including the airbags.