Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

So i have this B18C1

Old 07-12-2010, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So i have this B18C1

& im all over the place with it..
as of right now it looks like i cannot afford to do a turbo setup..

so i wanted to something in the mean time to get a little UMPH outta the motor

i already have a 2" 1/4 exhaust with a resonator and a 400CFM high flow cat

i was thinking of :

getting a DC header for now 4-2-1
MAYBE a skunk2 intake manifold ( if not just leave the stock manifold)
cold air intake (AEM or whale *****)
and a tune
what do you guys think?

im not looking to break the bank but i wanna get the motor running good not too rich or too lean.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So i have this B18C1

dc header: im 50/50 on this, if its your DD then yes
s2 intake mani: yes
password whale *****: yes
tune: yes

jus my $.02
Old 07-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EJ6-2nr
dc header: im 50/50 on this, if its your DD then yes
jus my $.02
How come 50/50? I was under the impression that DC is a good upgrade over OEM.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dymond
How come 50/50? I was under the impression that DC is a good upgrade over OEM.
I liked mine, but it wouldn't be money well spent if he was eventually shooting towards a turbo set up. Whale *****, really? LOL never heard that term...
Old 07-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There are a couple options that will make your car more fun to drive for under a grand, if you do most of the work yourself. There are:
-Cams (itr/ctr/sk2/etc): ~300
-Clutch/flywheel combo: ~2-400
-Nitrous (55shot): ~300

Any of those relatively simple things will net you more fun driving your car, and to be honest, I am thinking of spraying my b16. Reason being a friend of mine has a y8 in a 4dr ek, and this past weekend he ran a 14.6 with i/h/e/spray on street tires, full interior and power options.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want to turbo it down the line I wouldn't spend over a grand on all that stuff. Try to get things you would still use if you boosted so you won't waste money. Or decide to go NA and stick with it.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^True, if you do decide to spend money in your motor, make sure its on things that can be used NA or FI.

Edit: honestly, I wouldn't spend the 300 skunk2 wants for their IM, I would hunt and find a p30 b16 intake mani since its the best manifold to use up until like 8000rpms.

Edit pt2: ignore the comment about the p30 IM, forgot the gsr head is different than b16/itr
Old 07-12-2010, 10:17 AM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by italian_virus
so i wanted to something in the mean time to get a little UMPH outta the motor

i was thinking of :

getting a DC header for now 4-2-1
MAYBE a skunk2 intake manifold ( if not just leave the stock manifold)
cold air intake (AEM or whale *****)
and a tune
I don't think you will be making much umph with those mods.....

DC header- 2hp
skunk manifold- 4hp
CAI- 4-6hp
Tune- probably nothing, the engine is still stock

So you spend all that money and make 10hp, lol

Start off with something decent like ITR cams, then maybe get a strong clutch and lightened flywheel which will be good for future power upgrades...turbo if you do it
Old 07-12-2010, 03:12 PM
talks to himself

Received 78 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Deetz
Start off with something decent like ITR cams, then maybe get a strong clutch and lightened flywheel which will be good for future power upgrades...turbo if you do it
I just bought my B18C1 too so I was wondering the same thing. I agree with a lot of the posts here though especially this one. CAMS look like they'd be the best option.

I also heard that the GSR motor's Intake Manifold wasn't that great so maybe look for a good upgrade on that too. Anyone confirm/deny this? I'm still learning.

Making power is all about burning fuel and eliminating looses so, the more air you can get in cylinder (better intake, forced induction, etc...) and the more rotating mass you can eliminate (anything that rotates ANYTHING) will all pay off in the long run.

Adam
Old 07-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The GSR clamshell (or whatever you wanna call it) isn't the best IM imo, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to throw $3-400 away from a net gain of 2hp max! The way I learned about power adders (Honda's atleast) is that the external is useless without the internal being able to support the mods. Example: lets say you spend $300 on a Skunk2 IM and another $60 on a Hondata gasket, then you take an hour or so swapping manifolds and hooking everything back up. You more than likely still have a stock TB, SRI/CAI that's not sucking in enough air (2.5-3" needed really) and a stock head, you aren't going to feel the ~7-10 hp (at the crank, so 3-5whp) advertised. That money would be better suited going towards some cams and port matching your TB and IM.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by D Griff
If you want to turbo it down the line I wouldn't spend over a grand on all that stuff. Try to get things you would still use if you boosted so you won't waste money. Or decide to go NA and stick with it.
This
Old 07-12-2010, 03:39 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Deetz
I don't think you will be making much umph with those mods.....

DC header- 2hp
skunk manifold- 4hp
CAI- 4-6hp
Tune- probably nothing, the engine is still stock

So you spend all that money and make 10hp, lol

Upgrade the exhaust to 2.5 or 3" if your shooting for over 350hp, clutch, fly, are all worth it when your going boost.. SAVE the 1000 your going to spend for a good kit.

Why waste $$ now when your going to take it off later? Save for your turbo kit.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D Griff
Agreed.

If you wanna boost it later down the line, just wait 'til you can afford it. Trust me you will not be satisfied when you will have spent a grand on parts to be 2 tenths faster. After spending a thousand dollars to have little gain in power, you will realize that your only another thousand dollars away from having a setup that will make some decent power. Using stock internals that is.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm well first off thanks guy for your input

but i dont see myself boosting this at least for another 2 years or so..

thats why i wanted to see if theres anything i could do now that i could give me that little umph lol

the header i have to get b/c its going on a 95 civic coupe and the stock header needs to be changed

the exhaust was done 2 years ago its all mandrel bent, i dont wanna drop down more $$ to beef that up.. UNLESS i get a sick deal on an Apexi WS2 exhaust system

i did a compression test on the motor & the numbers were mint! (210 210 210 205) its from a 96 GSR and the motor had 208xxxkms
Im in the process of dropping the oil pan soon & take a look inside

& i totally agree with you guys with regards to spending that $1000 parts and not getting the power i desire..

with regards to the IM i just assumed an upgrade was necessary cause the stock one is garbage?

& with regards to the tune.. i had a previously a D16Z6 in it, and inside my exhaust was black.. i was running too rich.. thats why i wanted to tune the motor to somewhat balance that issue and also help me on fuel mileage? & i was under the impression you can get a little whp gain with a tune?..

again please excuse me if any of these comments sound dumb.. its my first time doing a swap so im still a n00b @ this and i do appreciate anyones feedback

so just to clarify right now my best bet would be to upgrade the

Headers DC 4-2-1
&
Cams either ITR/CTR/SK2

now i know this is a stupid question but i gotta ask it
if i get an Skunk2 intake manifold can that be used if i boost the car later? or will that have to be replaced as well?

Thx boys
Old 07-13-2010, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also** i forgot to mention

im changing the timing belt/ water pump/ tensioner
spark plugs/wires
changing the brake fluid & clutch fluid to Racing Blue Dot 4 fluid
and im also gonna do a combustion chamber cleaner on the motor
Mobil 1 15-50W oil
91 Octane gas ( is it worth putting 94? my only concern is if i dont find a gas station that carries it im screwed ;s)
and im putting in an 160A high output alternator
ive also upgraded the Big 3 in my system ( for all those that dont know its the grounds on your car, battery to alternator, engine to chassis, battery to ground)
& the transmission oil, im putting Amsoil and lucas 50Wt
Old 07-13-2010, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you go with the IM, it can be used again when you go boost. Another solid investment would be a stage 1 or 2 clutch and a lightened (10-12lb) flywheel. In order to really get the hp claimed with the IM it would be in your interest to either invest in a bigger TB or get your stock one port matched. A tune would help the life of your motor and help provide a smooth powerband, but its not going to necessarily unlock any extra hp, if there is none to find. You seem to be headed in the right direction. Good luck.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So what r u planning on tuning with? thatl cost money. 15w50 is way to thick of an oil for you, I wouldnt run it. Stick with whats recommended for your motor and make it a synthetic of coarse. The best bang for your buck would be a wet nitrous system you could have for around 350 bucks brand new. Now you might want to add a lil insurance items like a better fuel pump and ul probably need an upgraded clutch to hold this newfound power youll be throwing at it. With a 75 (factory recommeded really would b like a 55 shot) you could beat up on a lot of cars out there. It should put you in the high 13's. Get colder plugs, always run 91 (a lil octane booster wouldnt hurt, can get the store brand for like 2 bucks a bottle), and retard your timing by a degree or so and your good to go!

Usually nitrous will run anywhere from 2$-4$ a pound and youll have a ten pound bottle
Old 07-13-2010, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ahh sorry nitrous is outta the question, it does not appeal to me at all

really you think 15-50W is too think for this motor? hmmm
& yeah i was looking @ some colder plugs some NGK would do nicely
Old 07-13-2010, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Dont need colder plugs if ur not spraying. Im sorry for you that you find nitrous not appealing. Intake mani is a waste of money, Id just opt for cheap headers if u plan on getting dc's, Cams would be a decent choice but wont really make to much power without extra compression or boost. Plus youll need dual valve springs on ur exhaust and maybe stronger if u plan on running skunk 2s and ul def need a tune if you go that route. Dude just keep it stock and save ur money cause everything uv said may add 10hp for a grand or so and imo its just not worth it

and yes thats too thick for ur motor. 5 30 or 10 30 is the thickest id run...always stay away from 1040, usually the bigger spread means more bullshit has been added for the oil to go from 50 to 15 once the motor gets up to temp.

How do u plan on tuning? what program u using? or piggyback?
Old 07-13-2010, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i used to run 15-50 Mobil1 in my F20a, but that was in Texas and the motor had 180k miles
Old 07-13-2010, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hotter enviroment is def better for that thick of an oil put I wouldnt do it. Not unless I had a ton of horsepower and clearances that were loose just for that reason.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:34 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by italian_virus
hmm well first off thanks guy for your input

but i dont see myself boosting this at least for another 2 years or so..
If you use the all the money you plan on throwing away with these parts u want, you can be boosted in 6 months.

You dont need any tune unless u throw a set of cams in.. Any or all bolt ons do not require a tune. Keep the stock basemap and youll be fine.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if your just getting the tune to stop yourself from running rich i would skip it. just make sure you are using the right ECU and you will be fine.

depending on if your actually going to boost, and how much your going to boost, i would get some ctr cams. most people like them when doing a turbo set-up. i have nover done it myself but i have heard people are happy with them. plus they will help you with a little umph while your all-motor

the stock mani doesnt suck but most opt to change them out. i did too. and i believe you can use a skunk2 mani, but a victor-x might be a better purchase if your going to turbo later.

and i cant tell if your saying that you dont have a header or not already, but if you can use a stock one I would. a dc header wont do a whole lot and would be a waste if you are going to boost.

a better way to spend the money, like another person said, would be a good stage 1 clutch and a lightweight flywheel. it doesnt necessarily add power but makes a differecne.

havent been here long but had a gsr myself and had alot of fun with it with those upgrades
Old 07-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A different intake manifold like a Blox, Skunk2 or something designed similar to the ITR manifold will help. Please note that a B16 or ITR intake will NOT fit. Different bolt patterns. Don't get something too short for a DD either. Edelbrock's manifold isn't bad necessarily, just it won't be good for a DD.

Depending how much power you plan to make, the stock clutch is ok. The flywheel is fine too. A friend of mine had a turbo GSR with stock flywheel and it still revved up super fast once boost hit, and he had low compression pistons so it was a dog out of boost still. Keep the OEM flywheel.

For cams, ITR, CTR or "stage 1" cams are fine. Even GSR cams have been used with great success.

Getting engine management ahead of time wouldn't be a bad idea, get it wired in and if you can get it tuned cheap, it could gain a little power. Get a Moates Ostrich, a RTP Demon, Hondata, just don't rely on a FMU or a piggyback like a VFAC or something.

A 2.5 or larger exhaust would be good. Depends what your goals are.

---------------
Don't waste money on a header, cold air intake
Don't waste money on little bottles of octane booster. For it to be effective at increasing the octane, it will have to be a lot larger quantity to do what those bottles claim. Toulene is a cheap octane booster and it's readily available at hardware stores. Look it up online, there's tons of info about it.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

man i did a turbo set up for 1000 and i got a turbonetics kit...but i just got lucky....but yeah you can get sk2 cams used for 200 and just use ebay headers 4-1 and you can find pro series manifolds for about 70 to 150 on craigslist easy...that and some itr valve springs and a tune might satisfy you...sk2 tuner1 cams did good for me with boost

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So i have this B18C1