Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

So I changed my MTF and was shocked to find...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 03:41 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I changed my MTF and was shocked to find...

Or rather what I didn't find.

My tranny has made a loud grinding noise when coasting down RPMs since I bought it a few months ago, so I figured a MTF was in order.So I start by pulling off the Drain plug; it's tough but nothing a breaker bar can't handle. I loosen it, ready to shove the pan into place and am surprised to see no line starting as I screw the plug out. I pull the plug off to find... NOTHING! The tranny was bone dry, nothing but oil on the end of the plug and VSS. Not even a freaking plug washer! Last owner was a "mechanic" apparently. I'm worried my tranny might be permanently damaged somehow but will never know till it blows. I even jacked the opposite side up to see if there was some sitting toward the other edge, notta. So I popped the washer in and tightened down the plug (it doesn't sit flush now, maybe out a 1/4 or 1/2 of a mm, so I think it's fine as long as there's pressure on the washer.) I poured 1.9 quarts in using a funnel that measures tenths of a quart (I'm lowered in the front so I'm not level.) And we'll see how it does, I think I've solved my grinding problem though (haven't tested it yet.)

I'll update as I go. I'd appreciate your opinion on this. I really don't know how strong a 2000 Ex tranny is. ...Also, my head code seems to say 01, 88 in the date indication. I don't see how I have a 7th gen head right? I'm still sure it's a y8 mini - me so, Idk.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: So I changed my MTF and was shocked to find...

Good luck. I suspect you are hearing the grinding of dying transmission bearings.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My tranny made noises when it was low in the past and I used Synchromesh and it fixed her right up.. But I can't ever remember it being BONE dry, just really really low...
Old 07-13-2010, 03:51 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Good luck. I suspect you are hearing the grinding of dying transmission bearings.
Ugh. That's what the guy at the Honda graveyard next door said too! FML. Damn Lemon Honda. Good thing these trannys are fairly cheap in comparison to other cars. It's been running strong since I've had it, and only grinds when coasting through the RPMs. And I heard that people had grinding and MTF change fixed em up, so idk.

Anyone have an answer on my Head issue?
Old 07-13-2010, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its not a lemon. idiot previous owner yes, lemon no. If its a stock d series trans they can be had for a hundred bucks. It's not a huge deal to swap a transmission.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:36 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

^ Ha, very good point. My friend has swapped three trannys in his stealth, so it'd be no prob. But on a worse note, I think my tranny is indeed dying.

It still grinds the same and I forgot to mention (but was reminded when it happened on my test drive) that there will be subtle grinds from the tranny even as I'm just driving, they can be felt through the linkage. Oh well, drive it till it dies I guess. Any info on my head and also... what size bolts do you need for a flywheel cover? I was told 6m with 10mm heads but they're far too small.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

If you are interested in attempting to fix your transmission before it is completely destroyed, here's a good ISB DIY:

http://www.d-series.org/forums/trans...ng-change.html
Old 07-13-2010, 04:55 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

^, Okay, so that wasn't the bolt I removed when doing my oil change... I did the large one with the 3/8 hole. That was my damn fill hole wasn't it? God damnit, I think I over filled my tranny and need to drain it now. Ugh, $16 of fluid for nothing. I think it's still dieing but I'm extremely pissed and embarrased I confused the bolts. This would probably explain why I didn't see any fluid, it could still have been low though Idk, I even lifted the other side. And I'm lowered so it won't level off evenly. I guess if it's dieing it's not the biggest worry.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:12 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Ugh, so I ran out and sure enough, fluid flew out of that hole this time. It was pretty black, so Idk. So i need another $16 worth of oil, a need another washer and guess what?! Another fill plug now, because that damn washer is fused to it now. And I go to court tomorrow so most of my money will probably be going to that. PERFECT. I seriously never saw that smaller plug. I saw the first plug with a 3/8 hole and pulled it and saw no fluid. Great.

I can drive this till Friday right? That's the next time I can make it to Honda with that amount of money.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL this thread made my day...but sorry about your issues though and yeah best bet is too jsut refill with fluid and see how it goes. If continues to grind just buy another tranny for $200 or so
Old 07-13-2010, 05:34 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

actually, now that I look at it, I don't even think that's the fill plug either. Yes, I am the only man who can **** up a simple MTF change, like seriously. What is the large gray plug smack dab in the middle of the tranny wall? This is the plug that I ****ed up. When I test fitted that washer, it fit perfectly into the hole that the plug went into. So instead of thinking it was a washer that sat outside the bolt, I thought it sat inside the thread hole, because it fit perfect. So call me an idiot, I ****ed it up, itll be fixed. I think it can limp till Friday. It's just embarrasing and really annoys the hell out of me. when I get annoyed I talk a lot, explaining the three in a row comments.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:35 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

LOL this thread made my day...but sorry about your issues though and yeah best bet is too jsut refill with fluid and see how it goes. If continues to grind just buy another tranny for $200 or so
Yep, and I'm going to college to be a teacher. NICE.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Might want to double check what fluid your putting in. I work at a shop and i checked on ALLDATA and it said just to use regular 10w30/10w40 motor oil...
Old 07-13-2010, 06:07 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

^. I know this, dude. Went to Honda. Bought Honda MTF, I'm not that much of a ****ing idiot.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SpecialBrownie
^. I know this, dude. Went to Honda. Bought Honda MTF, I'm not that much of a ****ing idiot.
do what?..I'm using mobil 1 10w40 in my tranny.Has been working fine....What i'm trying to get at is that your tranny doesn't call for Honda MTF it calls for 10w30 or 10w40 MOTOR OIL...
Old 07-13-2010, 06:21 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

For temporary use only! If the dealer gives out actual MTF, it's legit bro.

How the hell does a Honda tranny not call for Honda MTF? W.T.F.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

10w30 is actually fine. It's cheaper and will work...especially if your trans is about to blow anyway.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

age old debate on the transmission fluid.

MTF is recommended, but you can use motor oil, too.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:25 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Eh, I have to go back to Honda for a new washer and plug anyways (still don't know what plug it was), so might as well pick it up. Total will probably only be $20.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For temporary use only! If the dealer gives out actual MTF, it's legit bro.

How the hell does a Honda tranny not call for Honda MTF? W.T.F.
No not for temporarily use only. I work at a Complete Automotive Service Center and use ALLDATA. I'm not sure if you're familiar with ALLDATA but this is what a lot of the top leading mechanics use. From the dealer/manufacturer it calls for 10w30/ 10w40 motor oil. I was shocked myself to read this. I confirmed this with one of our parts supplier and they said yes 10w30/10w40 motor oil. Other Manual transmission such as B-series and K-series recommend Honda MTF. I ordered my D15 swap straight from japan and i went to change my MTF fluid and guess what came out? Yellow fluid( Motor oil)...
Old 07-13-2010, 06:29 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Most mechanics use 10w30 too, which is why i wanted to do it myself. I just feel better with it and it comes with additives. Guys at Honda even told me to not trust mechanics if I want actual MTF. So, yeah. You just worded your stuff weird.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't get all mad man, i'm just trying to give you some options...Also use
I use this all the time at the shop fix's tranny slips and grinds...it's amazing
Old 07-13-2010, 06:30 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

^ My bearings are probably shot though, I doubt it'll quiet them. And how would I add it to my MTF to equal out to 1.9 quarts?
Old 07-13-2010, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Most mechanics use 10w30 too, which is why i wanted to do it myself. I just feel better with it and it comes with additives. Guys at Honda even told me to not trust mechanics if I want actual MTF. So, yeah. You just worded your stuff weird.
Like i said we just use what the manufacturer calls for...which is 10w30/10w40...You shouldn't need to take your car to a shop for a plug to be removed then installed and put fluid in. Not rocket science lol. I love honda trannys thought just drain and fill no transmission filter
Old 07-13-2010, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ My bearings are probably shot though, I doubt it'll quiet them. And how would I add it to my MTF to equal out to 1.9 quarts?
I think that bottle is equal to a quart. You put the lucas in first then the rest of the .9 MTF fluid in. I've had great results with it.

Quick Reply: So I changed my MTF and was shocked to find...