Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

So I bought a new engine.... (56 ouch)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I bought a new engine.... (56 ouch)

Ok so I've been at school for the last 9 months and now schools out and summer is here. Over spring break I picked up an engine which I plan to be my summer project. The engine supposedly has a lot of work done to it, and is built and ready for boost. It has crowler rods, arias pistons, a pyr racing head(?), fully ported and polished. The guy who owned it said he drove it for 500 miles to break it in and then before he had a chance to take it to the track the tranny locked up, and although it runs and would go through all the gears, it wouldnt go in gear. He took it to a shop to have it looked at and they said it was most liekly something with the clutch/flywheel. So they had it on their lot to be fixed and it was vandalized, badly. I mean this guys car was tricked out, and whoever vandalized it cleaned it out completely, except for the engine (they got the turbo tho).

Ok, so I pick up the engine from this guy, first off he has no idea how to remove an engine, cause he had all the work done at a shop, so I have to waste like 4 hours over 2 days helping him get this out (not to mention he lives 2 hrs away from my house). So we get it out, and he real nice, gives me almost a whole turbo kit, the engine, axles, tranny, ecu, everything for a sweet $2300. HAHAHAH I am giddy like a school child.

So now summer is here and I need to get this b17a1 into my tiny 93 ex coupe (civic). I need to know what I need, every last part, to get this in, and some opinions wouldnt hurt either. I know I need the hasport mounts and subharness. I was going to buy a whole new tranny and not even **** with this one, but then I heard it had good gearing for turbo, so I dont know what to do, advice? I also know ill need hondadata s200, and ill add the boost option after i buy a turbo and put it on, but i plan to run N/A for a while. Oh the CR is 8.5:1

Now that said.... pics...

Whaddya think? Good deal for 2300? Ok deal? Think it will be fast? Should I get a new tranny or keep this one and try to make it work, and if I should get a new tranny which one?

Thanks for any advice, sorry for the long *** story.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:24 PM
PSU
formerly DxHatchback

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: So I bought a new engine.... (turbotime)

hmmm, looks like it needs cleaned up, but seems like a good deal
Old 05-28-2004, 03:27 PM

For a old school gsr block. I was unaware that they made rods for the b17.

If thats a cable tranny bolted to that engine you will need a hydro one. Or a hydro to cable conversion kit if they make them.

Modified by _BEN_ at 9:38 AM 5/29/2004
Old 05-28-2004, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: So I bought a new engine.... (_BEN_)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by _BEN_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> For a old school gsr block. I was unaware that they made rods for the b17.

If thats a cable tranny bolted to that engine you will need a hydro one. Or a hydro to cable conversion kit if they make them.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes they make rods for B17's but they arn't a off the shelf part they keep in stock it is something they have to order and have made.

Ditch that cable tranny and get a hydro.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:31 PM
big strong guy

Default Re: So I bought a new engine.... (99blackcivicSi)

PYR is preety good, Good luck with the engine, I would have doen a leak down test, and Compression check before hand though!

Eric
Old 05-28-2004, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Isnt the b17a1 a cable tranny? so did the guy have the cable to hydro conversion on his car or did he have a obd0 car? if so you will need a cable to hydro conversion kit.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: So I bought a new engine.... (rainmanEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rainmanEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">PYR is preety good, Good luck with the engine, I would have doen a leak down test, and Compression check before hand though!

Eric </TD></TR></TABLE>

Best post in here. That would suck if the results came back not so positive...
Old 05-28-2004, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

was the motor in a gsr or was it swapped into something? hasport mounts would be nice or stock third gen integra will do, shift linkage of course
Old 05-28-2004, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The motor was in a 92 gsr, so i assume it was stock before he did all this work. The interior of the engine is incredibly clean, and the oil is (was) too. These pics are after it being stored outside under a tarp for 3 months (i know, sad). But yeah it does have the cable tranny on it, although we cut the cable to get it out, so im not sure how much that will cost to replace. But all things being equal, $2300, for all that, plus a partial turbo kit (manifold, pipes)? I think i made out
Old 06-08-2004, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so im shopping for trannys, what hydro tranny should i get that will drive decent n/a but will still work for turbo?
Old 06-08-2004, 11:30 AM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome deal..

Old 06-08-2004, 12:12 PM

Default Re: (turbotime)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok so im shopping for trannys, what hydro tranny should i get that will drive decent n/a but will still work for turbo?</TD></TR></TABLE>

well if you want a NA tranny and a turbo tranny then look for a GSR. if you want strictly turbo then get a LS. before you put it in, might as well save the money for a good LSD.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EGhatched)

lucky bastard, that was a good deal, but yea.. you shouldve checked for leaks and done a compression check.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i didnt have a compression tester handy, and i still need to get one, but the inside of the engine is pristine. He says he put chevy big block valve springs in it or something? I dunno the guy wasnt smart but appartnely he had some dough to throw at this engine. If I can get a compression tester I will test it and post results. I turned the crank over a few times and its def. compressing on all cylinders, i mean there are no turns that feel weaker then others.

Before we put it in we're taking the oil pan and head off, doing a thorough clean and check before throwing it in. Thanks for the info on the GSR tranny, I think thats what ill get, with an LSD. Whaddya think? If this guy wasnt shitting me on the internals and all then this should put some decent power to the ground eh? Also, do I need a hasport subharness to wire the ECU in my civic? WHen we pulled it out of his DA the harness for the ECU and the DASH were all in one harness, so i figure i need something different since my civic has seperate hanresses for the two?

Again thanks for any help, im trying to get this engine in and runnin before summer ends and im worried im not gonna make it, all your help speeds up the process greatly
Old 06-08-2004, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh, shiti forgot i HAVE A GSR tranny, but the guy wasnt sure on its condition, it locked up on him and he wasnt sure if it was the clutch or the actual tranny. How much do you think it would cost for me to take it to a tranny shop and get them to diagnose it? I pulled the code off it:

YS1 - 1032488
Old 06-08-2004, 01:07 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbotime &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also, do I need a hasport subharness to wire the ECU in my civic? WHen we pulled it out of his DA the harness for the ECU and the DASH were all in one harness, so i figure i need something different since my civic has seperate hanresses for the two?

Again thanks for any help, im trying to get this engine in and runnin before summer ends and im worried im not gonna make it, all your help speeds up the process greatly</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you're getting hondata, you'll use a socketed p28.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:12 PM
Electrician

Looks ok. But I hope everything turns out ok with the motor. Sometimes people lie and give you their problems.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGhatched &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

well if you want a NA tranny and a turbo tranny then look for a GSR. if you want strictly turbo then get a LS. before you put it in, might as well save the money for a good LSD.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ummm no he dosnt want an LS tranny. Dont even begin with the "Longer gears let you stay in boost longer" crap either....
Old 06-08-2004, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah the guy sold the engine cause some ******** totaly raped his DA. It was quite sad to see such a sweet car so badly vandalized.

There is always the chance something may go wrong, but from the looks of his car, i think he was telling the truth. His DA was Si blue, it had a full bodykit, the interior was totally destroyed, everything from the seats to the dash was worthless. It all added up too well for it to be a lie (unless he trashed his own car for some reason?)

So if I get hondadata do I even need the gsr ecu he gave me? Will I need a diff harness or will be civic harness attach to this engine (since ill be using a p28 i assume im using the stock civic harness?)

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2004, 01:44 PM

Default Re: (Dyzee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dyzee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ummm no he dosnt want an LS tranny. Dont even begin with the "Longer gears let you stay in boost longer" crap either....</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL. then I have been informed wrong. tell us what you think about tranny choice for boost.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice motor, rare and good
peace
Old 06-08-2004, 02:10 PM

First I will start with an exerpt that sums it up:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
plain and simple, a gear is a torque multiplier.
The higher the number (and thus, higher mulitplier), the shorter the gear.

A shorter gear will always out accelerate a longer gear, all else remaining the same. Fact.

For the street, consider drag radials, differentials, traction bars, and staged boost as the correct way of obtaining traction. Using a longer geared tranny is like reaching over your shoulder to scratch your *****.

If you want the sick top end, drop a LS 5th gear.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Heres the URL: Read, Learn, Remember.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=421083
Old 06-21-2004, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok we moved the engine to my buddies house for cleaning and inspection. I cut the cable to the tranny while removing the engine, even though im converting it to a hydro clutch do i still need the cable intact? How much would a new cable cost you think?
Old 06-22-2004, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

u can use the tranny with hasport mounts and their conversion. if there is nothing wrong with tranny just use that tranny.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbocivic94)

98 Spec R Tranny IMHO

Quick Reply: So I bought a new engine.... (56 ouch)