Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

So I bought a 98 Civic ex and it has D16y7....

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default delete

deleted please close

Last edited by sweettalker; 08-01-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: So I bought a 98 Civic ex and it has D16y7....

i dought if u went legally u wouldn't win much out of it and u would have to pay a lawyer and go through court it takes too much time to get on with your life. their isnt much diff between the motors. who says someone cant say they replaced a motor or he can say a previous owner before him swapped it and he didn't know because as u said its not basic knowledge to know. your better off to just settle with the loss. the value of the car doesn't go up because of the motor they all retail the same. its not really worth getting a vtec head you wont net as much power. a better mod would to use a y8 transmission instead to make it funner to drive. goodluck
Old 12-31-2010, 11:07 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My opinion is that you need to be asking a REAL lawyer about what your legal options are and not people on a forum that you don't know and barely frequent.

You say he tricked you? I say you didn't do your due diligence. See what assumptions get you?
Old 12-31-2010, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No ac and non vtec, you got a dx rather then a ex. But I would sue him though. Just make sure that you will make money while also paying the scummy lawyers.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

peice together your missing ac parts from autowreckers. check your vin is it really a "EX" i agree with the tranny swap. you feel a bigger difference than doing the mini me and imo easier. bolt on a y8 intake mani and call it a day. I would deff investigate and make sure he indeed did sell you a 98 ex and not a 98 dx with a ex climate control. Then work from there. good luck
Old 12-31-2010, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lesson learned, don't worry about it.
If I was the seller, I would say I didn't know the difference and neither did you... It's a dun-deal. Caveat emptor.

Just boost what ya got, or sell it.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Court cost and/or lawyer is going to cost you more, not to mention the many frustrating hours that come with it.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did he make you aware that there was an engine swap? Did he say anything about the engine at all? Or did you just want to buy the car from him and he said, "okay".

This is your fault. You're telling us not to tell you things like, "you should've known better" because you can't face your own mistake. You should've known better. Had you asked questions about the car, had a mechanic look over the car, and looked at the car yourself (since you seem to know at least which engine came in which civic), none of this would've happened.

With that being said, even if he did tell you there wasn't a swap (lied), there is no way you can prove it. It's going to be all based on he said/she said. At the end of the day, the judge will want proof. No case will hold up in court based on hearsay. You're going to waste a lot of time and money chasing after him legally. The best thing to do would be to contact him. But most likely, he's going to say, "what are you talking about?" and walk away.

Good luck.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:57 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just do the mini-me and call it a day.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the title which says 98 honda civic
It has power windows, power doors, power steering, but the ac condensor and the line isn't there. It also has a moonroof which was a clear indication that it was an EX.
Also how would I know if I have the Y8 tranny or not? IF he blew the stock motor and got a y7 as a replacement, I doubt he would have changed the tranny to y7 as well. I am sure he kept the Y8 tranny and the ecu.

Another question is, would the EX model ecu work when you just slap on the y7 motor?

As far as he said she said, I have email convo and text messaging with him saying it's a 98 ex, he never said motor was swapped, he also said everything is original not modified.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:46 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

A Y8 ECU will not work with a full Y7 engine. You're completely sure it's not just already mini - me'd and it's just a Y7 block? A Y8 tranny should have B000 stamped on it, around where the block's stamp is, I think.
Old 01-01-2011, 10:08 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Your 4th-6th VIN digits will be EJ8 if you have a US Civic EX coupe or sedan. Those cars originally came with the D16Y8 1.6L SOHC VTEC engine.

Your transmission, if it's manual, would be a K4F (it would say this on top, if it says it still at all). Auto transmissions, I think, might be the same as other Civic automatic transmissions.

A Y8 ECU WLL work with a Y7 engine. You'll just have a check engine light (CEL) for VTEC not working.

Your ECU, if it's for an EX originally, will be a P2P ECU.

From working at a parts store and checking out lots of customer cars, I'll tell you it appears it's pretty common for people to blow up engines and then replace just the engine. The original transmission is often retained.

Most buyers don't even seem to know. It's possible that the owner at the time of the engine failure didn't know either. They were probably just told the blown engine was replaced so their car was fixed. Even if they were told this engine doesn't have VTEC, there's a high chance the owner didn't have a second thought about that.

Unless you paid a lot for the car I wouldn't bother trying to sue. I might talk to the seller and see about possibly getting some cash back since what they advertised was in effect not what they sold.

Getting another Y8 in there should be relatively easy and inexpensive (as far as swaps go) as well. I would personally just keep driving it as it is and then upgrade if you're looking for that.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that y8 probably spun a bearing and the previous owner(s) were too cheap to buy a y8 so they settled for y7. as for legal issues im not a lawyer i usually think you get what you paid for- bought as is unless its written other wise
Old 01-02-2011, 06:42 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

From working at a parts store and checking out lots of customer cars, I'll tell you it appears it's pretty common for people to blow up engines and then replace just the engine. The original transmission is often retained.

Most buyers don't even seem to know. It's possible that the owner at the time of the engine failure didn't know either. They were probably just told the blown engine was replaced so their car was fixed. Even if they were told this engine doesn't have VTEC, there's a high chance the owner didn't have a second thought about that.
OP's situation actually happened to me. I bought an EJ8 and found out it was mini - med'd after the guy stole my cash. Worked forever to get the VTEC portion back in working order.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:07 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

lol @ fraud

Buyer beware, it's your job to make sure everything is legit. Not the sellers fault that you didn't know that there is more than one type of D16.

Originally Posted by sweettalker
PS : Please do not post things like, you should have known better, it's your fault, or I'm retarded for doing such a thing. I'm just looking for professional/mature opinions that could help me out thru this whole thing . Thanks in advance
I can't stand posters like you.

You only want us to agree with you and tell you things you want to hear, and apparently anything else is unprofessional and immature

Get real.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:20 AM
H-T White Ops

I'll put it this way.

Probably about 80%, if not more, of the customers who come in and turn out to have a replacement SOHC engine in their Civic (1) had no idea until I told them and (2) don't care as long as the car still runs.

I don't believe these swaps are done in order to defraud anyone. It's more than likely that the original engine had issues and needed to be replaced.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NOFX
Your 4th-6th VIN digits will be EJ8 if you have a US Civic EX coupe or sedan. Those cars originally came with the D16Y8 1.6L SOHC VTEC engine.

Your transmission, if it's manual, would be a K4F (it would say this on top, if it says it still at all). Auto transmissions, I think, might be the same as other Civic automatic transmissions.

A Y8 ECU WLL work with a Y7 engine. You'll just have a check engine light (CEL) for VTEC not working.

Your ECU, if it's for an EX originally, will be a P2P ECU.

Unless you paid a lot for the car I wouldn't bother trying to sue. I might talk to the seller and see about possibly getting some cash back since what they advertised was in effect not what they sold.

Getting another Y8 in there should be relatively easy and inexpensive (as far as swaps go) as well. I would personally just keep driving it as it is and then upgrade if you're looking for that.
This was the type of mature response I was looking for. Yes the check engine light is on but I know the head doesn't have vtec because vtec solenoid isn't there.
I am hoping the ex tranny and the ex ecu is there but I will check it later tonight.
If all the EX parts are there, I will just do the mini me swap and call it a day.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:36 PM
H-T White Ops

Have you checked for any CELs yet? You can usually get any OBDII (1996 or newer) scanned free of change at Autozone or possibly other parts stores. If you wish to bring the scan tool home, it costs about $150 to rent, which is returned to you (including tax) when you return the part.

Good luck with your other parts.

Others might be able to tell you more based on photos.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:36 PM
H-T White Ops

Have you checked for any CELs yet? You can usually get any OBDII (1996 or newer) scanned free of change at Autozone or possibly other parts stores. If you wish to bring the scan tool home, it costs about $150 to rent, which is returned to you (including tax) when you return the part.

Good luck with your other parts.

Others might be able to tell you more based on photos.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can run a y8 ecu on a y7 but one more thing you forgot to mention is that without having a y8 head its NOT going to have a KNOCK sensor.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:10 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

you can run a y8 ecu on a y7 but one more thing you forgot to mention is that without having a y8 head its NOT going to have a KNOCK sensor.
It could still have a sensor without the right head. Unlikely, but it very well could.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

would be no place to mount it but i guess they could make a bracket or let it hang but more vibrations will cause the ecu to retard timing.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If he made a Bill of Sale saying it was "Sold As Is", and you signed it, you agreed to buying the car "As Is."

You can ask him to give you your money back, but I don't know.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:41 PM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by Pancho2193
If he made a Bill of Sale saying it was "Sold As Is", and you signed it, you agreed to buying the car "As Is."

You can ask him to give you your money back, but I don't know.
Also keep in mind that in many states any private party sale is considered "as is" automatically.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah so for any legal issues I'm not sure of man, your better off just cutting your losses and learning from a mistake. You might lose more if you try and sue him.

Quick Reply: So I bought a 98 Civic ex and it has D16y7....