Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

snapped timing belt!!!some ?'s on this

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default snapped timing belt!!!some ?'s on this

ok well me and my girl were driving and the car had just shut off, it took about 15 min.s after going over the engine that the timing belt had snapped..how i found this out is i took the cap off the distibutor and had her crank it and it was not turning so i took the valvecover off and the belt was LOOSEand the cam was not turning..anyways, i have a few ?'s

1.what is the chance that i have some bent/bad valve now?

2.is it a must to change water pump while changing timing belt?

3.what would cause it to just up and break?

the car is a 1993 eg coupe EX with a engine out of a 95 ex..what engine is in this car.. D 1 6 ? ? whats the last code, or is it diff? im not sure on the milage of the engine and dont know if the timing belt has ever been changed..im assuming it hasnt seeing this has happened.

any info would help..this is not my car is it my girls but i think imma buy it off her
Old 03-19-2007, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you'll have to take the head off and check the head and have your valves checked. more than likely you have a bent valve if it snapped at idle. if you were in motion you may have it worse but take it apart and see then. its really the only way to tell.

multiple things could lead to it breaking.

if you're lucky, its a bent valve. cost about 100$ to fix and then a new headgasket
Old 03-19-2007, 11:10 AM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: snapped timing belt!!!some ?'s on this (SLO B18)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SLO B18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1.what is the chance that i have some bent/bad valve now?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pretty high, unfortunately.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SLO B18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2.is it a must to change water pump while changing timing belt?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, but it isn't all that expensive and I'd recommend it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SLO B18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">3.what would cause it to just up and break?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Timing belts can fail with no warning and no real signs of wear. That is the reason why there is a suggested interval for changing them as a preventive measure.