Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Smoking my taillights?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 12:32 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoking my taillights?

I want to buy 99-00 si lights and I want to smoke them to make them a little darker. What product should I use for this? Think it is a type of paint correct? Thanks in advance to anyone who helps.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Smoking my taillights? (1996_civic_Coupe)

if you go on ebay and type in "car make/year tailight smoke cover" they will probably have them.. i almost bought some for my 98 coupe. its like 21$ for the two taillights. its like a film that you can put over the tailights. and its removable so if you change your mind its ok.
Old 08-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Smoking my taillights? (DOUBLExDEUCEx22)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DOUBLExDEUCEx22 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you go on ebay and type in "car make/year tailight smoke cover" they will probably have them.. i almost bought some for my 98 coupe. its like 21$ for the two taillights. its like a film that you can put over the tailights. and its removable so if you change your mind its ok.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't buy eBay **** quality. Go somewhere that has VHT nightshade. It's a can of spray paint and works AWESOME. There is directions on the can and you can choose to go dark with like 3-4 coats or light with just one, then finish with clear coat it and it's shinny too!
Old 08-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what store will have that stuff?
Old 08-08-2008, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Smoking my taillights? (SOHC_civic_si)

Originally Posted by SOHC_civic_si

VHT nightshade.
DITO!!!!!!! best stuff to use with my experience.
i bought mine from summitracing.com also buy 2 cans JUST INCASE you mess up youll have plenty to fix your mess up quickly.

do yourself a favor FIRST get some 2K grit wet sandpaper and sand the raised lettering off the taillights before tinting them!

also when tinting them it helps to have some halogen lights over the top of them for ruffly 10mins before painting... that will warm them up nicely and keeping the lights ON while painting them will help prevent the tint from running and have them siting as flat as posible!

it sprays just like spray paint and acts the same as well! to much and it will run like a ****! BUT if it does run dont worry to much you can always just use the 2K grit wet sandpaper and sand ALL the tint off and retry again!
i tinted my old taillights about 5times before i got it good just how i liked it.

BUT BE WARNED!!!!!!!!! when tinting your taillights your blocking the light output, even tho at night it will not be a issue since the VHT stuff rules! BUT during the day depending on how much you spray on the taillights the glare from the sun can make it really hard to see the brake lights during a bright day!
but if your going to fully tint the whole taillight then why get OEM SI taillights

heres a few different types of tinted ways ive done myself...
the first being my personal favorite at least for my black car... that way backup lights and turn signals are clearly visable!

sand the lettering off before tinting...

just keep sanding them..

and heres a short video of mine with JUST ABOUT the right amount of tint on them...
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=6sogcMcvlLo

if you want to be pretty safe and custom.... this is my little PROJECT ive been meaning to complete but buying all the LED flex strips sure aint cheap and ive always been puting it on the back burner...

heres a video of my pathetic first attempt to be safe.... thats why there is holes in the baked apart outter taillights. dont try to bake apart the center taillights they are really glued inplace!

http://s40.photobucket.com/alb...5.flv

and NO im not going to use BLUE lights in the taillights. its just the only spare flexstrips i had laying around to do a quick test. i need to spend ruffly 100bucks for all the lights. 2-4 yellow/orange flexstrips 9.5inches long each, and i think 6-8 red flexstrips 9.5inches long for the brightest brake lights posible!!!! and then ill just pull the bulbs from the top taillight section.
its definatly alot more work and money BUT its nice and custom and no one else should have my setup at least not until i complete mine and really show them off.LOL
Old 08-08-2008, 09:07 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Smoking my taillights? (addiction2bass)

Thanks guys you rock now I need to go pick some of this up. Hey anybody know where I should go to get this, I would guess autozone or something like that.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:36 AM

Default Re: Smoking my taillights? (1996_civic_Coupe)

i know that no place localy around me has it. i had to order it from summitracing.com

http://store.summitracing.com/...w=sku
Old 08-09-2008, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you can't find VHT, try getting your hands on Pactra Racing Finish #RC294 Window Tint. You can find it at your nearest hobby shop that sells rc cars.

I found it was much easier to take apart the taillights when I used a hand-held steamer or heat gun.