Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Smokey Exuast

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smokey Exuast

Im riding a 98 EK with b16 swap, with an HKS hi-power exhaust. Recently for the past 2 weeks, everytime i red line theres a cloud of smoke coming from my exhaust. And also, now that its getting colder, the carbon monoxide coming from my exhaust is visible , but the problem is that, the carbon monoxide continues to come out of my exhaust for about 15-25 minutes. Im just wondering if this is all normal problems coming from my exhaust.

Thx dudes
Old 11-18-2005, 07:07 AM
cute little bastard

Default Re: Smokey Exuast (imonx850)

What color is the smoke?
Old 11-18-2005, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's black smoke you are running rich,
bluish smoke you are burning oil,
white smoke you are vaporizing coolant.

easy solution: don't hit redline ......but that is easier said then done.

Now also you mentioned something about the cold, when first starting your car in the cold it is normal to see condensate/steam/white smoke out the tail pipe, it is normal to see that all the time when it is really cold (probably not gonna happen in FL)

(it's not the carbon monoxide you are seeing, it's water, kind of like your very own mini cloud out your tail pipe)
Old 11-18-2005, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, the smoke coming from my exhaust is black, so Im running "rich", is that a good thing or a bad thing??? Also I live in Florida and it condensates alot! Is any of this bad? or good? and why can't i red line?

thx pals
Old 11-18-2005, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (imonx850)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by imonx850 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, the smoke coming from my exhaust is black, so Im running "rich", is that a good thing or a bad thing??? Also I live in Florida and it condensates alot! Is any of this bad? or good? and why can't i red line?

thx pals</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I wouldn't worry about a head gasket cause it's not white and your not over heating.I love how everyone thinks white smoke coming from the exhaust is always burning coolant and a bad head gasket. Anyways, sounds to me like your not familiar with why engines have a red line. It's there for a reason and should be hit if you can avoid it at all costs. It's fine to get close to it, but honestly your just thrashing your engine by hitting red line. Just please tell me you aren't hitting the rev limiter . Anyways, your are running rich. I would checkout your fuel delivery system for general problems and I would suggest checking the O2 sensor for proper operation. Do you go through a full tank of gas quickly? Running rich is not the worst thing in the world, but it kills your gas mileage and carbon build up can become a problem. If everything checks out o.k., try running some "sea foam" stuff through your gas tank. I wouldn't suggest running sea foam through your oil cause it's not going to help you in your situation and it can further damage poor seals in the engine. This will help remove the carbon from the cylinder heads, valves, injectors.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:37 PM

Default Re: Smokey Exuast (old man neri)

[QUOTE=old man neri]white smoke you are vaporizing coolant.
QUOTE]

Not necessarily true, when cold condensation can occure when cold, once fully warm thats when you should check for white smoke.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Now im scaredddd = /, thx alot duuude!
Old 11-18-2005, 07:52 PM
grammer nawzi

Default Re: (imonx850)

Enough with the useless "it could be this or that", pull out your plugs and look at them. Plugs don't lie, if you are running rich, they will show it; if you are running lean, they will show it. Pull out your plugs and tell us what color they are.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:58 PM
EJ7

You could have a faulty o2 sensor, I'm running rich because I had to unplug the secondary.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sicky)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sicky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Enough with the useless "it could be this or that", pull out your plugs and look at them. Plugs don't lie, if you are running rich, they will show it; if you are running lean, they will show it. Pull out your plugs and tell us what color they are. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 11-19-2005, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Smokey Exuast (Mohsin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mohsin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[QUOTE=old man neri]white smoke you are vaporizing coolant.
QUOTE]

Not necessarily true, when cold condensation can occure when cold, once fully warm thats when you should check for white smoke.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, I know, that's why I also stated this:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by old man neri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now also you mentioned something about the cold, when first starting your car in the cold it is normal to see condensate/steam/white smoke out the tail pipe, it is normal to see that all the time when it is really cold (probably not gonna happen in FL)
</TD></TR></TABLE>

but whatever, it really doesn't matter.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A friend of mine had the same problem, and he thought he was running rich too, turns out he was just cheap. He has a ls/vtec swap using 87octane gas. this made the worst smells and clouds of smoke you'd ever see coming from a nicely done 10,000 95 civic. If you currently use 87 or 89 try using ultra or super 93-94 octane gas, it makes a big difference. Just a helpful suggestion. Try that before you go tweaking ur engine. Cant use the Cheap Pee-Like gas with todays high performance motors.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Smokey Exuast (BubbleBoyB16)

I wouldnt bother with plus. Many gas stations put the same thing in the regular tanks as they do in the plus. So its usually the same thing. IF you dont believe me than go check the ratings at the station and if you look closely you will see it says 89( +/-2 octane) so they can technicaly put 87 in both 87 and 89 and they do.

And I don't think low octane gas will cause black smoke. Maybe bad gas, but not low octane gas. Just cause its low octane doesnt mean its low quality(cough cough retards). Anyways if its a b16 you should be running premium because they are high compression.

imonx850 - Anyways you might have a sensor problem that is causing it to run rich up top. Are you running a chipped ecu? Check engine light? How long have you noticed it doing this?
Old 11-19-2005, 05:04 PM

02 sensor if ur car is running rich and shooting black smoke, not definaley but most likely is ur 02 sensor
Old 11-20-2005, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

aite, i'll check my o2 sensors today. BUT i just changed out my spark plugs and wires like a week ago.... So i don' tthink the problem is my plugs. And only fuel i pump in my car is 93 V-Power from shells = / even when it was $3.50 a gallon.

Thx again pals