Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Smoked Taillights/Mud flaps

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoked Taillights/Mud flaps

i wanna smoke my taillights and i was wondering whut kind of paint should i use. also if anyone knows of a place that sells smoked black taillights and could point me in the direction it would be great.

on another note. splash guards and mud flaps are the same acording to the service guy at my local honda service and parts. on the reciept it said splash guards but when they came in they were def. mud flaps. they cost me $70.20 and are beautiful....
Old 09-28-2005, 09:22 AM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Default Re: Smoked Taillights/Mud flaps (Bless)

You can get mud flaps at a junkyard for under 20 dollars. Clean them up and make them new, and spend the $50.20 on something else.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Smoked Taillights/Mud flaps (JDM-EJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can get mud flaps at a junkyard for under 20 dollars. Clean them up and make them new, and spend the $50.20 on something else. </TD></TR></TABLE>

or for free from a friend; most people hate them and take them off
Old 09-28-2005, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Smoked Taillights/Mud flaps (civicdxtyper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicdxtyper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

or for free from a friend; most people hate them and take them off</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly. Ask random people, you'll find someone.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:28 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bless &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on another note. splash guards and mud flaps are the same acording to the service guy at my local honda service and parts. on the reciept it said splash guards but when they came in they were def. mud flaps. they cost me $70.20 and are beautiful....</TD></TR></TABLE>

the way i see it, splash guards are the hard molded plastic pieces that you got for your civic, and mud flaps are the big hanging rubber things on the back of dualies with yosemitie sam and naked lady outlines on them.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Smoked Taillights/Mud flaps (UberMunkey)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by UberMunkey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the way i see it, splash guards are the hard molded plastic pieces that you got for your civic, and mud flaps are the big hanging rubber things on the back of dualies with yosemitie sam and naked lady outlines on them. </TD></TR></TABLE>

This post was pointless, as is your existance on Honda-Tech.

Bottom line: Get the mudflaps at a junkyard, or flag people down on the street for them.

/thread
Old 09-28-2005, 01:25 PM
cute little bastard

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by UberMunkey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the way i see it, splash guards are the hard molded plastic pieces that you got for your civic, and mud flaps are the big hanging rubber things on the back of dualies with yosemitie sam and naked lady outlines on them. </TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL its still the same purpose foo! Who cares what its called

And you could've got them new on ebay for 45
Old 09-28-2005, 02:01 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This post was pointless, as is your existance on Honda-Tech.

Bottom line: Get the mudflaps at a junkyard, or flag people down on the street for them.

/thread</TD></TR></TABLE>

easy there buttercup, this entire thread is useless, as are half of the threads in eg/ek. lets not try to start a pissing match over something so trivial.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:06 PM

How was this thread pointless? He asked what kind of paint he would use to smoke his taillights, that's a question that would belong in this forum. Sure, the rest of his post was, but he did have one valid question.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:28 PM

i didn't mean it was pointless in that he didn't ask a question, i meant it was pointless in the fact that 10 seconds of searching could have found him an answer to his question, just like half the posts in eg/ek. you are right, my post, while on topic with part of the thread, wasn't really necessary. my apologies for making everyone read it.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:39 PM
Me Gusta History

Well i'm gonna have to agree with him...mud guards are solid and unmoving, mudflaps are rubber sheets meant to stop debris from being sprayed from the large open wheels.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bless &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i wanna smoke my taillights and i was wondering whut kind of paint should i use. also if anyone knows of a place that sells smoked black taillights and could point me in the direction it would be great.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is what you are looking for. http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/vhtnigpain.html

If you search on h-t for night shades you should see some previous posts. I would suggest taping up the car and painting the taillights on the car with light coats. I made the mistake of taking mine off b/c I didnt' want to get paint on the car, then I did several coats in my apartment. Well, the lighting was off in the apartment so I sprayed it WAY too much.

They turned out so dark the lights wouldn't really shine through it so then I had to re-wire my taillights so the brakes all lit up on the top and the turn signals were the outside top as well.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:49 PM

dealers are crazy, i bought a few new gromets to hold my new bumper up, it came out to over 50 dollars.... its just ridic sometimes
Old 09-28-2005, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Smoked Taillights/Mud flaps (96 SOHC VTEC)

When I smoked mine, I bought this tint spray from http://www.summitracing.com. My lights turned out really well, I sprayed about 3-4 coats on it, plus 2 coats of clear. They turned out really well, and light shines through just fine.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When I smoked mine, I bought this tint spray from http://www.summitracing.com. My lights turned out really well, I sprayed about 3-4 coats on it, plus 2 coats of clear. They turned out really well, and light shines through just fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same stuff.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Smoked Taillights/Mud flaps (96 SOHC VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96 SOHC VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Same stuff. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, it worked really nice. I wound up doing a light wetsand on them too, turned out real nice.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

imma go cop me some of the mudflaps my dam self. i think they are hot
Old 09-29-2005, 07:49 AM

well thanks to the guys that answered my question, and i had already posted before i searched. so sorry for that. you guys should be a little less tense about the searching thing. but thanks. i think im gonna order it the stuff to spray my tails from summit thanks..
and about the mud flaps. when i searched for them, there were a bunch of people saying that there was a difference between the to. and i was just saying that they guy in honda service said they were the same thing.