Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Smoke coming from under dash

Old 09-16-2004, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke coming from under dash

Ok, I just swapped a JDM b16a in to my 95 hatch on Tuesday. They sent me an auto ecu with my manual engine, so I've just been driving around with it the way it is until the manual ecu comes in. Everything was fine up until today. The engine light stayed on but no biggie.

Today I went and washed the car. On my way home I could smell something but I wasn't sure if it was my car or not. Then I pulled up to a light and smoke was coming out of my vents. The car was also WAY down on power at that point. I pulled it over ASAP and shut it off. I popped the hood and everything seemed fine under the bonnet. I got back in my car and I could hear something. It almost sounds like water gurgling or boiling, and it smells like liquid evaporating. The sound was coming from directly under the center of my dash. I'm not sure what all is under there. I think heater stuff mostly. Anyway, I looked under the car and something was dripping, but it might have been from the car wash.

Any ideas????

I should also point out that at the moment I don't have a temperature gauges, but I don't believe it to be over heating.

Modified by Sound Streamin' at 7:32 PM 9/16/2004
Old 09-16-2004, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just went and moved it, and there is a nice little puddle of coolant under it.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sound Streamin')

Check the hoses.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Which hoses? Could the ones that go to the heater core be causing it?
Old 09-16-2004, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sound Streamin’ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Which hoses? Could the ones that go to the heater core be causing it?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

my guess is a heater hose that goes from the engine to the heater core in the cabin
Old 09-16-2004, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dantastic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

my guess is a heater hose that goes from the engine to the heater core in the cabin</TD></TR></TABLE>
its not ofter that the heater core will cause smoke. but its possible. did you smell antifreeze in the car with the smoke? look to make sure that all of you hoses are clamped. check the coolant level while cold. start the car and let it warm up, and look for leaks.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can a heater core blow if the coolant is too hot or something like that? When what I thought was smoke hit the windows they fogged up... could it have been steam coming off?
Old 09-16-2004, 05:14 PM

why don't you have a temperature gauge in your car ?
Old 09-16-2004, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Because I have the JDM SiR gauges, and the temperature gauge is on the other side of the cluster from the stock one, so it doesn't work. I'll wire it up eventually. I have a water temp sensor that I'm going to throw on there tomorrow anyway.

It definitly over-heated tho, which would explain the loss of power. I checked the rad and it was right empty, so I topped it up and went for a spin. Everythign is fine now, no steam, no gurgling under the dash.

I guess now I just need to find where in the hell it's leaking. I checked the engine bay when I got home just now but can't find anything. Hopefully the heater core is ok too. It still blows heat... dont know if that means it's ok or not.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:56 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sound Streamin’ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Because I have the JDM SiR gauges, and the temperature gauge is on the other side of the cluster from the stock one, so it doesn't work. </TD></TR></TABLE>

that cluster should be plug an play, your temp sensor should be working
Old 09-16-2004, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sound Streamin’ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can a heater core blow if the coolant is too hot or something like that? When what I thought was smoke hit the windows they fogged up... could it have been steam coming off?</TD></TR></TABLE>
its your heater core. and yes, a heater core and expand and split due to high tempatures.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that cluster should be plug an play, your temp sensor should be working</TD></TR></TABLE>

Really? Because I always assumed that since it was on the right side now, it would need to be wired in to the right side plug.
Old 09-17-2004, 01:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

did a gsr swap into a hatch the other day, i had a hard time getting the coolent hose off of the heater core in the engine bay, i moved it a little much and broke the heater core, and it smoked inside a bit (because of the steaming hot water) and yes.. sadly enough, it makes a puddle of water on the floor.. my suggestion to you would be to just loop the heater core out until you get time to replace it..
Old 09-17-2004, 08:32 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sound Streamin’ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Really? Because I always assumed that since it was on the right side now, it would need to be wired in to the right side plug. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yes really, it should work.

plug and play
Old 09-17-2004, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok well when I have my dash apart to work on the heater core I'll pull the cluster and see wtf is wrong with it.

I never really got a puddle. It was wet but I think it may have been condensation. Will a blown heater core still blow heat?
Old 09-17-2004, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it most certianly will