Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   smoke coming out of valve cover breather,, please help (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/smoke-coming-out-valve-cover-breather-please-help-2410842/)

sleepergo 10-17-2008 03:06 AM

smoke coming out of valve cover breather,, please help

well it jst started today . there was smoke coming out of the breather/filter that is located on the valve cover on my b16. got a few opinions. some guy told me its probably jst overheating since its a b16 tranny and they suck in the freeway. and sum other guy said it might be a blown headgasket.i got the headgasket replaced about 2 months ago. so i thought that wasnt the reason. im thinking it might be burning oil. because it smells like oil. ther is an oil leak but noting major. jst a few drops. can it be burning oil? i put sum oil jst in case and it did the same thing. let me know wat u guys think https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emsad.gif

00b20vtecoupe 10-17-2008 03:42 AM

Re: smoke coming out of valve cover breather,, please help (sleepergo)

its normal to some extent i have oil that blows out of mine i ran a hose to a catch can for it. if theres alot coming out though it may be sumthin else.

lsvtecturbosol 10-17-2008 06:34 AM

Re: smoke coming out of valve cover breather,, please help (00b20vtecoupe)

It is normal to have a small amount of smoke coming out of that hole. Hence the hole being there to vent. It normally goes back through the motor though for smog reasons but yes it's normal.

Although if it is A LOT of smoke you may have some blowby on your piston rings.

slacks 10-17-2008 07:43 AM

compression test time https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

TravisCadello 10-17-2008 07:49 AM

thats normal. but have you changed your oil? if so and you ran lower voscosity oil than maybe its burning that oil faster than the 10w30 or maybe the brands are diffrent. or piston blow by. try in thicken up your oil with a stp oil treatment bottle its like $2.39 at autozone. its nothing to really freak about though. Good Luck Man !

sleepergo 10-17-2008 08:43 AM

ok u guys are saying not to worry bout but. this was not a little bit of smoke. as i was driving. sum came out of were my e brake is at. and then i seen smoke coming out of the hood. well ill try new oil. im runing 10w 40 it was my homies old motor he said to run that. by the way lsvtecturbo whats bloby on the piston rings .hope it works. thanks.

davefromPA 10-17-2008 08:51 AM

is your car overheating at all? a ton of smoke is a bad thing. its burning oil. the problem is where is that burned oil coming from and how do you stop it. piston blow by is a piston ring not seated correctly anymore which allows oil to get into the combustion chamber. that also causes blue smoke out of the exhaust though.

lsvtecturbosol 10-17-2008 09:41 AM

Re: smoke coming out of valve cover breather,, please help (davefromPA)

Ok if you are getting so much oil smoke that it is getting into your car and you can see smoke coming out of your hood THAT is NOT normal and you should worry. If you have smoke coming out of that breather when the car is running rev it up for us and tell me if the smoke shoots out of that hole or not. Also check to see if there is smoke coming from the exhaust.

This is definately not normal.

davefromPA 10-17-2008 10:05 AM

Re: smoke coming out of valve cover breather,, please help (lsvtecturbosol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lsvtecturbosol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> rev it up for us and tell me if the smoke shoots out of that hole or not. Also check to see if there is smoke coming from the exhaust.

This is definately not normal. </TD></TR></TABLE>

^good idea. let us know how that goes after the car is smoking already.

Frickr 10-17-2008 12:19 PM

Re: smoke coming out of valve cover breather,, please help (TravisCadello)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TravisCadello &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats normal. but have you changed your oil? if so and you ran lower voscosity oil than maybe its burning that oil faster than the 10w30 or maybe the brands are diffrent. or piston blow by. try in thicken up your oil with a stp oil treatment bottle its like $2.39 at autozone. its nothing to really freak about though. Good Luck Man !</TD></TR></TABLE>

running a lower viscosity oil will not change the burn off point of the oil. and any kind of oil treatment is usually a bad idea. if you have to resort to that its just a bandaid on a big cut. it may hold it for a little bit, but sooner or later the problems going to come back and usually worse.

you will have a little blowby in every motor. its nearly impossible to completely seal off the combustion chamber even though its idea, in the real world it doesnt happen. it just depends on to what extent the oil is coming out of the breather hole.

a little - i wouldnt worry
a lot - i would start off with a compression test and a leak down test and go from there.

sleepergo 10-18-2008 03:09 AM

okay well i have reved it a little but nothing . i guess it happens wen im actually driving it or going past 3k or 4 . as for the exhaust ima chek that out.. ill probably jst fix my automatic eg coupe cuz . i dont have the time or money to fix it . then again b series are always proble.

davefromPA 10-18-2008 05:08 AM

drive it till it smokes then park and rev it. thats more accurate.

fin781 10-19-2013 05:21 PM

Do a compression test.
My guess. Possibly burnt valves or maybe bent valves.
I'm actually dealing with this same issue with a friend.
Soon as start up. Smoke shoots out the valve cover breather. Really bad. A lot of smoke. He has no crank case breather as well.
You have to ask your self how would the smoke from combustion get to the valve cover. Valve guides. Or valves. Do a comp test ASAP. You can get them at harbor freight for like 20$

Johzabat Ortega 04-25-2017 01:49 PM

Re: smoke coming out of valve cover breather,, please help

Sorry I'm new to this site need some help I rebuild my b18a1 did new crankshaft new rods pistons rings head gasket intek mani gasket oil pump water pump but I was coming home from work and the car died the belt came off so I really timed it but its smoking white smoke when I turn it on