Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SMOG ticket

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 SMOG ticket

it says section 27156(b)vc.

i was driving and he pulled out from around a corner and pulled me and then pop my hood and ****. and look underneath my car. anyone else had this? i need to go get it ref. but im going to put the stock peice in. how much was it for ref and ticket? just so i kinda know.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So i just got pulled over in my 99 civic si and..

Originally Posted by eK_HatchY
it says section 27156(b)vc.

i was driving and he pulled out from around a corner and pulled me and then pop my hood and ****. and look underneath my car. anyone else had this? i need to go get it ref. but im going to put the stock peice in. how much was it for ref and ticket? just so i kinda know.
I couldn't understand where you were going with this... He pulled you over and propped your hood for....?
Old 08-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

popped hood for being wayyyyyy loud. i have no cat
Old 08-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc27156.htm

welcome to cali. cops are king douches down there, but unfortunately they'll rape you unless you have carp leagal parts on your car.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your screwed.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

V C Section 27156 Gross Polluter Air Pollution Control Device

(b) No person shall operate or leave standing upon a highway a motor vehicle that is required to be equipped with a motor vehicle pollution control device under Part 5 (commencing with Section 43000) of Division 26 of the Health and Safety Code or any other certified motor vehicle pollution control device required by any other state law or any rule or regulation adopted pursuant to that law, or required to be equipped with a motor vehicle pollution control device pursuant to the National Emission Standards Act (42 U.S.C. 7521 to 7550, inclusive) and the standards and regulations adopted pursuant to that federal act, unless the motor vehicle is equipped with the required motor vehicle pollution control device that is correctly installed and in operating condition. No person shall disconnect, modify, or alter any such required device.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah..i can put my cat back in and pass a smog test if that what they want me to do. no bigge but after i do that how much am i going to have to payyyy . freakin out lol. uhhguhgughgcfgshkdlfsdgsdhfg
Old 08-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

perhaps it's a fix it ticket? just leave your cat in. if you're THAT worried about the minimal gains you receive from running a test pipe just buy a high flow cat. i noticed no difference in driveability on my car with a test pipe vs. cat
Old 08-04-2010, 10:48 AM
gwl
Honda-Tech Member

It is not a fix it ticket. You should call the courthouse and ask them how much is the fine. Or you can look it up or go to the courthouse to find out. Some cops will even tell you if you ask them.

Even on smog exempt cars, older than 1974, you still have to keep the smog devices intact. But it is rarely enforced. People thinks since it is smog exempt, they can yank all the smog stuff out. Smog exemptions is for smog tests not for smog devices.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah..i can put my cat back in and pass a smog test if that what they want me to do. no bigge but after i do that how much am i going to have to payyyy . freakin out lol. uhhguhgughgcfgshkdlfsdgsdhfg
I've actually gone through this, last year around this time to be exact.
What do you have done to your Civic? If you can, put it back to stock and you'll be fine.

Basically the process went like this for me:
Got letter in the mail, telling me I could bring it to a State Referee station, or just pay off the fine- a ridiculous $445 (if I remember right).
Make appointment with the nearest BAR state referee station. You call the # on the back of the letter you'll get in the mail, and they'll tell you when and where you go to get it done. I got mines done at a school called Rio Hondo. Process was simple. They just smog your car, and if you pass you're good to go. I passed because all I had was an intake on my car (swapped the oem back in). You pay $7 dollars, and the technician gives you a certificate showing you passed. You then just go to the court, show them the papers, and instead of paying the stupid silly amount, you just pay a $25 dollar court processing fee.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SMOG ticket

Wow... Im really glad i dont live in cali i feel bad for you guys who do. Here if they tryed to implement Emission testing the farmers would go ballistic because none of there vehicles would pass so there would be a big problem here. So its just easyer just to test it in big citys but in the middle of illinois there isnt enough population density to worry about but i do understand california being a very smoggy state.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:45 PM
gwl
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 97ej6dx
Wow... Im really glad i dont live in cali i feel bad for you guys who do. Here if they tryed to implement Emission testing the farmers would go ballistic because none of there vehicles would pass so there would be a big problem here. So its just easyer just to test it in big citys but in the middle of illinois there isnt enough population density to worry about but i do understand california being a very smoggy state.
Smog laws varies within different counties. I think farm equipments are exempt but you never know.

From DMV website,

Which counties require a smog inspection for the registration renewal?

Counties that Require a Smog Inspection for Vehicle Registration Renewal
Alameda, Butte, Colusa, Contra Costa, Fresno
Glenn, Kern, Kings , Los Angeles, Madera
Marin, Merced, Monterey, Napa, Nevada
Orange, Sacramento, San Benito, San Francisco, San Joaquin
San Luis Obispo, San Mateo, Santa Barbara, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz
Shasta, Solano, Stanislaus, Sutter, Tehama
Tulare, Ventura, Yolo, Yuba

There are six counties that require smog certifications within certain Zip Codes only. These counties are:

El Dorado, Placer, Riverside, San Bernardino, San Diego, and Sonoma.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well thanx for tha iputs ha. it is pretty shity. people have to worry about gettin hoods popped and ****. usually if they found out you didint have a cat. they would tow yo car. i got lucky. the guy was kinda dumb but was nice compared to other douche bags. and hopefully it goes just like you said explodingibals. ha
Old 08-05-2010, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well thanx for tha iputs ha. it is pretty shity. people have to worry about gettin hoods popped and ****. usually if they found out you didint have a cat. they would tow yo car. i got lucky. the guy was kinda dumb but was nice compared to other douche bags. and hopefully it goes just like you said explodingibals. ha
Let us know! It should be this straight forward. I think you're right on the tow. Since your car is suspected to be a gross polluter, it shouldn't be driven, even to home. I don't get it though. Since you can't drive your car, how can you even legally bring it to the smog referee? It'd suck if you got another ticket while driving to the referee.

lol and at least you got pulled over when driving. A cop came up to me when I let my car warm up outside work while I closed up shop. Right when I got out of the shop 2 cop cars were outside and the officers walked up to me, lol. They said there was a report of a group of people racing in the area and my car matched the description of one of the cars. What BS!!! So they popped my hood and only found an Apexi intake. Evil turds!!!
Old 08-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL! Wow wat luck man
Old 08-09-2010, 07:08 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Getting cought without a cat could be around a $1000 ticket.
Put your cat back on and leave it alone.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:09 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Getting cought without a cat could be around a $1000 ticket.
Put your cat back on and leave it alone.
Can't remember where I saw it but a couple hp isn't worth 1000 bucks if you get caught.