Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Smog question... searched (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/smog-question-searched-946659/)

Harry_Randal 08-02-2004 07:32 PM

Smog question... searched

Ok here is the deal... I have a 95 CX I just picked up... I went today to get it smogged cause my tags are due and I am putting my b18c1 in this weekend... so I figure "Hey... buy myself 2 years"

Well I didnt pass the NO part...

I searched and didnt see much related to that part... I seen on guys but it didnt help me much

My question is, what could be creating this?

Here is what I got...

Stock CX motor
plugs are NGK (forgot the number, but they are the ones the timing cover says to use)
Cat is intact and seems to be good flowing, no noise from it no smell from it
o2 is there and appears new
I dont think this model has a EGR valve, but I am not sure, if it does someone tell me
all the stock piping

ok even with the timing retarded it failed horribly in only this part...

Should I run some top end clean through it... change the oil and try again? or is that not worth it?

thanks in advance

taz77 08-02-2004 08:36 PM

Re: Smog question... searched (Harry_Randal)

what are the readings? CO, HC, NOx, O2, CO2?

your car does not have an egr...
what is your BASE ignition timing?
what temp is the coolant at, when the car is at normal operating temp?

we'll start with those... at the very least, let me know what the gas readings are...

Harry_Randal 08-03-2004 10:41 AM

Re: Smog question... searched (taz77)

Thanks I will find out today....

Harry_Randal 08-03-2004 01:00 PM

15 mph test:
2524 RPM
%CO2 14.4
%O2 0.1
HC 65 (max: 97 ave: 21)
CO 0.24 (max: 0.59 ave: 0.06)
NO 1241 (max: 731 ave: 150)

25 mph test:
2333 RPM
%CO2 14.4
%O2 0.0
HC 70 (max: 62 ave: 13)
CO 0.25 (max: 0.59 ave: 0.06)
NO 1229 (max: 798 ave: 136)

Whats in bold is whats failed.... https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...s/emthdown.gif

edit: ignition timing is 10 BTDC

stockegsix 08-03-2004 01:40 PM

HAHAHA! i was in the same boat as you 2 years ago when i got my 92 hatch too. right after getting the car i wanted to get it smog with the stock cx motor. I failed, the car needed a new cat, and im not about to spend money on that motor since I was gonna drop my b16a that weekend. Lucky for me my hommie use to work for a smog shop and he hooked me up.

tips:
use 89 octane
"guaranteed to pass emissions" from pepboys
clean o2 sensor w/ brake cleaner.
get a new air filter at walmart. $10

nonsense 08-03-2004 01:57 PM

Re: Smog question... searched (stockegsix)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stockegsix &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tips:
use 89 octane
"guaranteed to pass emissions" from pepboys
clean o2 sensor w/ brake cleaner.
get a new air filter at walmart. $10
</TD></TR></TABLE>

the lower the octane the better for passing smog. I'd use 87 with some ISOHEET.

DAguyLS 08-03-2004 02:50 PM

try sea foam, it worked wonders for me.....you can pick it up at advance or pep boys or anywhere car shit is sold.

taz77 08-03-2004 06:00 PM

Re: (slamdcivic)

it's very possible that you have carbon buildup in the combustion chambers and seafoam, or any decarbonizer will help. seafoam is a little hard to find in cali... at least in the bay area.

but from your readings, it's most likely your cat that has gone on you.

don't worry about your fuel octane... it doesn't have any effect UNLESS you go too low of an octane.

don't bother with the "guarantee to pass" cause that won't help with your nox.

before u do that... check your cooling system. make sure it's working right. if your car is running warmer than usual, it'll cause the nox to raise.

nonsense 08-03-2004 08:22 PM

Re: (taz77)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by taz77 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">don't worry about your fuel octane... it doesn't have any effect UNLESS you go too low of an octane.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's not exactly true. higher octane fuel burns slower, that is why you use it in situations where pre-detonation might occur. So if you run too high of an octane you may not be completely burning the fuel mixture which can cause higher emmissions. I would run the lowest octane you can w/o detonating at the desired RPM ranges (ie 1500 and 2500 in this case). You can always run it low on gas and put in a couple gallons of 87, then go put in some 91 when the test is over.

taz77 08-03-2004 08:32 PM

Re: (nonsense)

well, i guess i can't argue with that logic for now... i don't know the proof that it does or doesn't affect emissions. i'll find out next weekend.
but in either case, that's not really his major concern right now. running too high of an octane, unburnt fuel.. that would cause the nox to go down, not up as high as his readings show.

LSzar 08-03-2004 08:40 PM

Re: (nonsense)

i recently got my car BAR certified (b18b in EG) and i encountered many problems while testing it (failed 2 times). what i found to be the most critical approach to passing the state ref test was to change out your cat and run a bottle of sea foam. when i ran sea foam through my intake manifold, my NO dropped from 2000ppm to 700ppm! it also helped with the HC and CO as well.