Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

smog failure, install new cat and got worse need expert analysis

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smog failure, install new cat and got worse need expert analysis

Ok guys here's the story, I got a notice in the mail for a smog check being due so i went out to get one. Well the first smog check I didn't do anything to the car prior to the smog, i just drove it around town and kept the rpms at around 3-4 rpms then got it smogged. I failed the smog and the smog guy told me to get new spark plugs and a new cat and it should pass.

First smog test report

I went to a muffler shop and had them install a new cat for me and i installed new ngk spark plugs on the car, i even installed a new pcv valve and cleaned out my air filter. I went back to the place today to have it smogged, feeling very nervous. But I failed again, this time i failed even worse to gross polluter. The smog test guy was really confused, he didn't know what to tell me other than to take it to a shop to have it analyzed and repaired. He had no idea why it got worse and so did i. Prior to the smog test I drove around town at about the same 3-4 rpms like i did in the first test.

Second smog test report

My mods include dc sporst 4-1 header, new high flow cat, tsudo piping catback with apexi worldsport 2 muffler, and an aem short ram intake with a clean filter.

What do u guys think is the problem?
Old 05-30-2006, 11:15 AM
Boba Connoisseur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: smog failure, install new cat and got worse need expert analysis (byronl)

go oem exhaust manifold.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: smog failure, install new cat and got worse need expert analysis (SkyeC)

The exhaust manifold should have nothing to do with it. I'd find an ebay cat or a cat off of someone in the forum's car.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

throw in a stock intake, stock header and a stock exhaust then it should be fine. I wouldnt smog my car with those aftermarket parts even if it is CARB legal.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (db8gsr_teg)

so if i put on my stock manifold i should be able to pass with flying colors?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by scuzz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The exhaust manifold should have nothing to do with it. I'd find an ebay cat or a cat off of someone in the forum's car.</TD></TR></TABLE>

isn't an ebay cat just a test pipe therefore instant failure.

i have a brand new high flow cat, my friend got one for his crx same one as i got and passed with extremely low figures.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (byronl)

listen get a oem cat not no hi-flo cheapo

a free flowing exhaust helps wen it comes to testing

makes sure your timing is good

and beat the **** out of it before you get it tested dont baby it
Old 05-30-2006, 11:43 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by db8gsr_teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">throw in a stock intake, stock header and a stock exhaust then it should be fine. I wouldnt smog my car with those aftermarket parts even if it is CARB legal. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Why he passed the visual?

And those parts are not super extreme anyways
Old 05-30-2006, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (packthis)

Why would you drive around town with 3000-4000 rpm revs only??? Cats work better with heat, don't hold back on the revs!

I would say the cat the muffler shop sold you is a peice of $hit! NO should not go up like that with a NEW cat. They screwed you IMHO. Buy a used OEM cat off of someone here and I bet it'll run a lot cleaner.
Old 05-30-2006, 12:01 PM

Default Re: (Marauder)

seafoam it
Old 05-30-2006, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I find really weird, after looking at that, is how much cleaner it runs at 25mph than at 15mph. That's some huge difference there!
Old 05-30-2006, 12:18 PM

go to another smog place. put back the old cat. and fix your timing
Old 05-30-2006, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by packthis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why he passed the visual?

And those parts are not super extreme anyways</TD></TR></TABLE>
Cause all those parts are CARB exempt and it will pass visual. But sometimes they make you fail and sometime they make you pass. Its simple like that
Old 05-30-2006, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by db8gsr_teg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Cause all those parts are CARB exempt and it will pass visual. But sometimes they make you fail and sometime they make you pass. Its simple like that </TD></TR></TABLE>

if anything the intake and free flowing exhaust will aid the engine and possible lean it out a bit , aftermarket intake and exhaust will not hurt the emmisions performance of a vehicle at all.

and whom ever said throw the stock mani and exhuast on and it will pass abovious doesnt now anything

the readings indicate there is a big problem, most likly the cat is not up to par, timing might be off, has nothing to do with his header or intake
Old 05-30-2006, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdmchop)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmchop &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if anything the intake and free flowing exhaust will aid the engine and possible lean it out a bit , aftermarket intake and exhaust will not hurt the emmisions performance of a vehicle at all.

and whom ever said throw the stock mani and exhuast on and it will pass abovious doesnt now anything

the readings indicate there is a big problem, most likly the cat is not up to par, timing might be off, has nothing to do with his header or intake </TD></TR></TABLE>

i feel dumb even asking,
but if there's after market headers and crap out there that dont have a carb legal crap on them, then why i read else where that they do make a difference when time for smog comes...

in other words, these parts dont don't effect smog????
anyone every pass with the usual I/H/E..i know i never did
Old 05-30-2006, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (EvilPinkEye)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EvilPinkEye &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i feel dumb even asking,
but if there's after market headers and crap out there that dont have a carb legal crap on them, then why i read else where that they do make a difference when time for smog comes...

in other words, these parts dont don't effect smog????
anyone every pass with the usual I/H/E..i know i never did </TD></TR></TABLE>

They could potentially effect smog, however 99% of them don't. The reason some of them don't have the CARB EO#s is because of the application fee. It's something like $5,000 a EO# and for some companies, being legal in 49 of the 50 states leaves a large enough market to not care.

How large is this new cat? Seems like the 15mph is too slow to keep it hot.
Old 05-30-2006, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EvilPinkEye)

thx for all ur replies guys, i think ur right about me going at 3-4 rpms. Because I took I took it to my dad's friends mechanic and without telling me, he took the car for a drive, went to a smog test only and came back and it passed with flying colors! Lemme show u guys the results. I asked him what he did but he just smiled at me and said 'mickey mouse' iono what that means but i kinda have a guess haha.

here's the final smog results
Old 05-30-2006, 03:02 PM
I love to drive

Default Re: (byronl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by byronl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thx for all ur replies guys, i think ur right about me going at 3-4 rpms. Because I took I took it to my dad's friends mechanic and without telling me, he took the car for a drive, went to a smog test only and came back and it passed with flying colors! Lemme show u guys the results. I asked him what he did but he just smiled at me and said 'mickey mouse' iono what that means but i kinda have a guess haha.

here's the final smog results
</TD></TR></TABLE>

That sounds like you got a smog "hookup"
Old 07-18-2006, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ghetto Civic HX)

for future reference, i found out why my readings were all weird. It wasn't because of my cat, it was because of my o2 sensor. I had used a bosch o2 sensor and that's why i failed, it was new too. I just bought a new oem denso o2 sensor and passed again with flying colors.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: smog failure, install new cat and got worse need expert analysis (savagecivic415)

it wasnt "too new" it was broken.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: smog failure, install new cat and got worse need expert analysis (Dude29662)

Seeing all that I am glad I live in a state were there is visual and a gas cap check. maybe some year they will get around to sniffer testing the tail pipe. but buy then my car will be outside the test range
Old 07-25-2006, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: smog failure, install new cat and got worse need expert analysis (instructor74)

SEAFOAM

Winger - Winger (1988) - 03 - Seventeen.mp3 [64Kbps] (04:05)
Old 07-25-2006, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I like how on the second sheet instead saying "Fail" it says "Gross Polluter"
Old 07-25-2006, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (VTcivicHB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTcivicHB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I like how on the second sheet instead saying "Fail" it says "Gross Polluter"</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah, I chuckled a little to myself when I read that.