Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Slugish In 2nd, Awquard Gear Changes, What else could go wrong !!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slugish In 2nd, Awquard Gear Changes, What else could go wrong !!

Heya folks, I'm after some advice. The problem has been apparenty for a couple of weeks now but has recently started to get worse and is driving me to dispair, to the point where I'm thinking cut my loses sell the f0cker and buy my buds 200sx turbo.

I have a '99 Si Coupe which has recently started to feel sluggish in 1st and 2nd. I know you need to drive these reasonably hard but even pulling away at slow speed the engine seems to bog, and the car slows down initially when changing into 2nd.

Also, when you change gear from 2nd/3rd at say 8,000rpm, the gear lever is snatched from your hand, and sometimes spat out of gear. It is now becoming increasingly difficult to get a clean change at high revs without in some cases double clutching.

And now ... to top it off I have a strange noise, like a whining noise from the engine, I know it's the engine not the 'box coz when the clutch is dipped you get the same whining noise when you go up the rev range, it's not the radio it sounds like noisy tappets or valves.

I brought the car 2nd hand with a "full Honda history" (for what it's worth !!) are there any tell tale signs I can check to see if my tranny is damamged or my clutch ? The car is driveable but the experience is less than pleasurable !

Before anyone asks I have done a search, nothing really answers my questions 100%, Im curious to see if these probs are related, I'd also like to hear from other coupe/hatch owners what there car's are like stock compared to mine, are these common problems ? is my motor all beat up and in need of some help.

Thanks in advance for your time folks.

A very frustrated civic owner ...

- Prob