Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

slow power windows

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default slow power windows

when i try to use my power windows, they are really slow to go down and really slow to go back up. sometimes, when i try to open my windows, they stop half-way and won't go down anymore. you think my window track is clogged up and i have to clean it?
Old 08-02-2008, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: slow power windows (tekniq)

replace the rubber window channels and you correct the problem.
I had the same issue until I replaced them, now my windows go up and down VERY fast!
The problem is that the smooth coating on the rubber gets worn out from years of use..... you could spray some grease in the channels, but that only lasts for a day and plus it also dirties up the windows.
My driver's side was so worn out that the window started popping out of the track...... the passenger side was just going super slow. It's important to replace these channels cause eventually you will burn out the window motors and possibly f*ck up the regulators.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you can spray some silicone lube at the rubber part that holds the window. it works pretty well
Old 08-02-2008, 10:57 AM

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

yah, works for about a day or two then goes right back to working like sh*t and is really messy and will smear the window around the edges..... I just dealt with this exact issue over the past month. The only way to properly correct this problem is to replace the "rubber part", correctly known as the window channel.

I will explain this again.... there is a smooth coating on the channel that gets worn out over time from opening and closing the windows repeatedly. My old window channel was not smooth but tacky and sticky which caused the window to jam due to too much FRICTION. The new channel is smooth, and allows my window to go up and down with ease.

the window channel on my '96 coupe was $60 a side
I did get lucky and found one for the passenger side on eBay for $10 +free shipping

Modified by babyivan at 3:06 PM 8/2/2008

Modified by babyivan at 3:08 PM 8/2/2008
Old 08-02-2008, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the info. You know where I could find the rubber window channel for my 00 si? I tried googling it, but no luck

Modified by tekniq at 3:38 AM 8/3/2008
Old 08-03-2008, 06:26 AM

Default Re: (tekniq)

Honda parts..... online or in person

I have the part number for the passenger side but I dont remember the driver side number.
All 96-00 coupes and hatchbacks use the same one.

PN# 72235-S03-G01 (passenger side)

Here's a link to the rubber window channel on HONDA online parts by me:

http://www.trademotion.com/par...gid=2
Old 08-03-2008, 07:01 AM

Default Re: (babyivan)

sweet
Old 08-03-2008, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (proJDM)

cheapest way to fix it is take out the window felts and all the rubber lining. clean them with alcohol and before you put them back in... wipe them down with silicone spray. they should work like new and stay that way for a while. periodically spray some more silicone spray down the tracks if it seems to go slow.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree, just wipe everything down and get it clean then spray some silicon spray on the rubber and the tracks too. Likely it will need more spray later one once it wears down but it will be enough to satisfy you.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:58 AM

I didn't even take mine apart, just sprayed silicon down both tracks and my problem was gone.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:47 AM

temporary and messy fix.......
silicone is a viable option, but I assure you it does not last long.
you shouldnt need to spray anything if the rubber is in good shape..... which it is not.
I was removing my door panels and spraying silicone every other day. I got it to work better by doing that, but it's a PITA. Better to spend a few dollars and not have to deal with it. Also, the main problem is that by the window going down, it pulls the rubber flap out that the guide the window inside the door and that gets deformed from popping out.... I assure no amount of silicone can fix that. When I removed my old channels, they had gotten somewhat deformed from the window popping out the flap I mentioned.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:58 AM

You don't need to pull the door panels off....just spray the silicone down the channels with the windows down, it takes like 30 seconds.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:03 AM

Actually it helps greatly to spray directly onto the tracks under the panel, if not, the spray pools in the deep recesses of the track that the window does not come in contact with it. I tested this out with lithium grease spray. Ever since I bought my Honda, I was dealing with this nonsense... I tried everything to save a buck(with the exception of cleaning it out with alcohol first like the other poster mentioned).... but do you want to know what worked by far the best??.... not being a cheapass and replacing the channels!
Old 08-03-2008, 11:10 AM

What?! Not being a cheap ***???! GTFO.

lol
Old 08-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by babyivan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Honda parts..... online or in person

I have the part number for the passenger side but I dont remember the driver side number.

http://www.trademotion.com/par...gid=2</TD></TR></TABLE>

that honda site you sent me...it gives the right and left side, correcT?
Old 08-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're supposed to lube them every now and then. When I got my EM1, the windows SUCKED. The passenger one barely went down. My friend HAPPENED to have to some Shin-Ehtsu grease. So I applied that on there and BOOM. It was a night and day. Shin-ehtsu is a silicone grease commonly used on S2000 window and top weather proofing. Get some from your Honda dealer. Then periodically lube it with silicone spray found at like autozone or whatever else.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:04 PM

Default Re: (tekniq)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tekniq &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that honda site you sent me...it gives the right and left side, correcT?</TD></TR></TABLE>
yup
Old 08-03-2008, 06:23 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by babyivan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

yah, works for about a day or two then goes right back to working like sh*t and is really messy and will smear the window around the edges..... </TD></TR></TABLE>
That's weird. I've lubed up the windows of three different cars ('97 hatch, '98 coupe, '92 sedan) and didn't have those problems.

I sprayed the silicone spray into the tracks (front and rear), ran the windows up and down a few times and then cleaned the window off. Since then they've been good. That was probably a month and a half ago for the most recent car and closer to seven months ago for the least recent one. Still work just fine and we get a lot of rain out here.

OP, look here for places to buy the channels (or anything else stock for your Honda).
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2059889
Old 08-03-2008, 06:36 PM

Default Re: (NOFX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
That's weird. I've lubed up the windows of three different cars ('97 hatch, '98 coupe, '92 sedan) and didn't have those problems.

I sprayed the silicone spray into the tracks (front and rear), ran the windows up and down a few times and then cleaned the window off. Since then they've been good. That was probably a month and a half ago for the most recent car and closer to seven months ago for the least recent one. Still work just fine and we get a lot of rain out here.

OP, look here for places to buy the channels (or anything else stock for your Honda).
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2059889</TD></TR></TABLE>
Well for me, the window channel flap that the windows ride on inside the door started popping out of the channel and got completely deformed.
The driver's side window started popping out of the friggin track!

I tried sprays, lube, everything, but it was too late for any cheap fixes.
The pass. side wasnt popping off the track, but when I pulled the panel, I noticed the flap popping out as well........
I guess if the channel rubber is still in good shape(pull the panels off and with a flashlight, watch the window movement), the Shin-Etsu might just do the trick, that stuff is pricey but pretty good.
The problem still remains though.... the coating on the rubber channel is gone. A good idea is if and when new channels are bought, Shin-Etsu will keep the coating from getting worn off.
What I did when I installed the new channels was spray 'em up with the cheaper silicone spray and let them dry..... perhaps every 3-6 months I will pull the panels off and do it again.
Whatever you guys do, AVOID LITHIUM GREASE SPRAY!!!
Old 08-03-2008, 06:48 PM

found the p/n for the shin-etsu grease:

Honda P/N 08798-9013

Modified by babyivan at 10:55 PM 8/3/2008
Old 08-03-2008, 06:54 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by babyivan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well for me, the window channel flap that the windows ride on inside the door started popping out of the channel and got completely deformed.
The driver's side window started popping out of the friggin track!

I tried sprays, lube, everything, but it was too late for any cheap fixes.
The pass. side wasnt popping off the track, but when I pulled the panel, I noticed the flap popping out as well........
I guess if the channel rubber is still in good shape(pull the panels off and with a flashlight, watch the window movement), the Shin-Etsu might just do the trick, that stuff is pricey but pretty good.
The problem still remains though.... the coating on the rubber channel is gone. A good idea is if and when new channels are bought, Shin-Etsu will keep the coating from getting worn off.
What I did when I installed the new channels was spray 'em up with the cheaper silicone spray and let them dry..... perhaps every 3-6 months I will pull the panels off and do it again.
Whatever you guys do, AVOID LITHIUM GREASE SPRAY!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>
By the time that the glass has began popping out of the track it's too late to resort to silicone spray because somethign is already mechanically damaged. Silicone spray is a preventative measure against damaging the regulator (which is what causes the glass to pop out of the track).

Then again, the place with the problem is usually the metal tracks within the door, not the window seal piece. The track in the door does not have rubber on it.

I don't think lithium grease is supposed to be used on rubber though.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:05 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by babyivan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Honda parts..... online or in person

http://www.trademotion.com/par...gid=2</TD></TR></TABLE>
This goes to the window seal (the big one that grabs around the frame of the door window).

OP, you should not need this part.

Open your door up and figure out where (IF) you have any damage to the mechanical workings of the window. The places you are likely to have trouble are the regulator (scissors) or the tracks (metal, in the door).

This is the part he recommended you to buy.

Here's what you should buy (I've also done this more than once and seen it more times).

REGULATOR SET, R. RF. DOOR (POWER)
04720-S00-A01

REGULATOR SET, L. RF. DOOR
04725-S00-A01

SASH, R. FR. DOOR (LOWER) (FR)
72230-S03-003

SASH, R. FR. DOOR CENTER (LOWER)
72231-S03-003

SASH, L. FR. DOOR (LOWER) (FR)
72270-S03-003

SASH, L. FR. DOOR CENTER (LOWER)
72271-S03-003
Old 08-03-2008, 07:07 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
By the time that the glass has began popping out of the track it's too late to resort to silicone spray because somethign is already mechanically damaged. Silicone spray is a preventative measure against damaging the regulator (which is what causes the glass to pop out of the track).</TD></TR></TABLE>
not necessarily, my regulators are fine.... it's just the window channel rubber that was FUBAR. I replaced my channels and no more window popping off track.
Then again, the place with the problem is usually the metal tracks within the door, not the window seal piece. The track in the door does not have rubber on it.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
the tracks(sash channel as Honda calls it) in the door is what holds the bottom parts of the window channel rubber..... the tracks are pretty strong, it would take alot to get them to bend/deform.
Name:  3b4345c8.gif
Views: 4770
Size:  7.4 KB

I don't think lithium grease is supposed to be used on rubber

though.</TD></TR></TABLE>
right, they say it eats the rubber. My biggest gripe with it was that it caught every god damn piece of dirt and made the problem worse rather quickly.

Modified by babyivan at 11:26 PM 8/3/2008
Old 08-03-2008, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont mean to object to what NOFX said or anything but ill say it definately depends i guess on the car whether or not something can be deemed damaged because the window pops out.. mine were so bad that they would pop out in the front everytime i put the driver side window down. What i did was took all the tracks out, cleaned them all with rubber cleaner/ alcohol. and then just put a light coating of lithium grease inside all of the tracks. i put it back on(about three months ago) and haven't had a problem since. i guess different things could change what happens to others windows though. like here in pa we have snow which means salt can get in there from the roads and such. and then theres cali where maybe just high heat everyday could bring different problems. Dont take my word for anything... Just thought id put my input in.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:16 PM

Default Re: (biggjerryc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by biggjerryc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont mean to object to what NOFX said or anything but ill say it definately depends i guess on the car whether or not something can be deemed damaged because the window pops out.. mine were so bad that they would pop out in the front everytime i put the driver side window down. What i did was took all the tracks out, cleaned them all with rubber cleaner/ alcohol. and then just put a light coating of lithium grease inside all of the tracks. i put it back on(about three months ago) and haven't had a problem since. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Your rubber window channels inside the door werent deformed from the repeated popping out of the window??.... cause I feel that I couldve saved some $ myself by cleaning everything up and using the shin-etsu grease, but the lower part of the driver's side channel looked like a dog chewed on it

On the passenger side, I found an un-used channel on eBay from a guy that sold the car before he had a chance to install it.... paid $10 w/free shipping

I still think that in the long run, new channels are still in order, but I completely understand the idea of trying to save a few bucks.

Modified by babyivan at 11:32 PM 8/3/2008

Quick Reply: slow power windows