Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Slow GSR, didn't think this was possible

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Slow GSR, didn't think this was possible

Honestly i don't know what is going on, i was at the track the other day and ran a 16.2! are you kidding, a 16.2 in a JDM GSR. I own a 2000 Honda Civic Si, a B18C with the stock B16 trans, race mounts, AEM Hybrid Intake, stock SI exhaust and stock GSR exhaust manifold. My question is the car runs fine, no check engine lights, vtec light shows vtec is engaging, new tires running 30 psi all around, full skunk 2 suspension, i launched at 4000 rpm yes it did wheel hop pretty bad right away but i thought the launch wasn't too bad, how is this possible? (Shifts were at about 8200) also i was at about 8000 rpm when i crossed the line in 3rd gear which also doenst make sense but i shifted into 4th to start to slow down. Sooo not too sure why a motor that across the internet consistently runs low 15's high 14's stock and even lower sometimes depending on application, how i managed to run a 16.2!
Old 09-23-2009, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slow GSR, didn't think this was possible

60' trap?
Old 09-23-2009, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 09-23-2009, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

where are you located? elevation might have a say lol what ecu are you running? got a tune?
Old 09-23-2009, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Live in wisconsin, stock Jdm P72 ecu, no tune. Another guy with a 2000 civic SI with his stock B16A2 (i.h.e.) ran a 15.6 No GSR should ever get crapped on by a stock B16 lol i talked to him later he said he just wanted to see where his car was at before his build.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if i where you id call bee over at beeyond engineering, and get that ecu chipped and tuned
Old 09-23-2009, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wheres your timeslip?

Cuz according to you the car is running great... So the only thing that could be the problem is YOU...

And he'd be wasting his money if he got a tune on a stock car with an intake...

His driver mod needs recalibrating...
Old 09-23-2009, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my buddy nick had the same problem with his del sol the jdm ecu was tuned for 100 octane gas and the compression of a jdm motor, he got a p28 with hondata and the car was night and day!!!
Old 09-23-2009, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe just overrev the car or spun a lot at the launch. another thing make sure that your clutch geting bad.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Believe me lol its not the driver i will admit im not a pro drag racer but im on key most of the time, it just doenst seem to have the same power as my obd1 jdm gsr i used to have in my hatch (before it was stolen) but idk im gonna have to figure something out, and as far as the car running great i haven't had it on a dyno to confirm specs but clutch is new as of last year, recently did a full tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter) So you think 4k is too high for a launch? I was at 2K the first pass just to see how sticky the track was that day and bogged down HORRIBLE so i upped it to 4k so idk. There will always be next year more money to invest in my baby.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i was going to look into a hondata system first i will be needing to try and pass emissions im trying to get my hands on a OBD2 USDM GSR ECU to i can try and convert the JDM engine to USDM so i can pass emissions(will be posting that soon) but ya thanks for that recommendation i will defiantly be taking it into consideration
Old 09-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im from wisconsin originaly and have done alot with bee over there, call him he might even have a usdm ecu for you.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just because your car is suppose to run a cetain time does not mean its going to run that time, i usally run high 10's low 11's with my gsr turbo but on some days ill run 14s because the traction on the track is ****
Old 09-23-2009, 11:54 AM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah did you have the same tires as that ninja with the b16?
do you have the same tranny as him? what about your wheel size?
they play big roles
Old 09-23-2009, 12:34 PM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've run 16.2s in my gsr'ed 00 EX with B16 transmission, which is almost the same car as you. 2.4 60ft sounds about right for that time to me. That's exactly what I was running last season. And mine felt really fast from a roll, but the 1/4 mile times sucked.

How much wheel hop are you getting? Are you running all the correct engine mounts? Might want to check torque mounts - mine launches dramatically better after I fixed them. How's the suspension? Mine also launches dramatically better after I replaced worn out stock shocks.

Take care of your wheel hop problem and I think your times will go down by almost a second.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

16's doesn't sound that far off in a full weight EM1. Really it doesn't.

But I'm wondering if you don't have automatic cams in that beast? (from a car with an auto tranny I mean)
Old 09-23-2009, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Unluckyhonda
Sooo not too sure why a motor that across the internet consistently runs low 15's high 14's stock and even lower sometimes depending on application, how i managed to run a 16.2!

Are those internet times for the same chassis as yours? How many times did you run the car on the track?
Old 09-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by d4rk13l4de
if i where you id call bee over at beeyond engineering, and get that ecu chipped and tuned

I wouldn't do that unless that was the only option available within a reasonable distance, which it's not.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys ya I did have some wheel hop right away, and I have a new skunk2 coilover suspension, I'm running inovative race mounts no torque mounts just the three, I'm running with new eagle gt's 195/55r15 the other SI was running same 15' rims my guy also had his 94 civic coupe there with gsr, stock everything on the car minus skunk2 manifold and 4500 rpm launch control he ran a nice 14.6 but anyway I guess I need to get tuning invest in an ECU and do some upgrades thanks for all the imput
Old 09-24-2009, 08:25 AM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

and gut your car out. its funn. pile it all up and post a pic . k . thanx
Old 09-24-2009, 09:28 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys ya I did have some wheel hop right away, and I have a new skunk2 coilover suspension, I'm running inovative race mounts no torque mounts just the three, I'm running with new eagle gt's 195/55r15 the other SI was running same 15' rims my guy also had his 94 civic coupe there with gsr, stock everything on the car minus skunk2 manifold and 4500 rpm launch control he ran a nice 14.6 but anyway I guess I need to get tuning invest in an ECU and do some upgrades thanks for all the imput
If I were you, I'd junkyard a set of torque mounts, then fill 'em with polyurethane. In fact, that's exactly what I did, and it made a huge difference in the amount of wheel hop I was getting. It also added quite a bit of engine vibration, but it's a worthy tradeoff, I think.

The 3M polyurethane is great, but it's about $30/tube, and you'll use most of a tube on 2 mounts. Still cheaper than aftermarket poly mounts. They sell polyurethane driveway sealer at home depot that is MUCH cheaper, and IMO works just as well. I've used them both, and other than the driveway poly being gray instead of black, I can tell no difference in the application or functionality.

Oh, and get disposable rubber gloves. That stuff sticks to your hands like crazy, and you really need to use your fingers to fill all of the gaps up with poly.

NB4 flames for ghetto DIY poly mounts. What can I say, they're cheap and they work.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and i am not running on torque mounts i have the inovative race mounts which only use 3 primary solid race mounts, as i see i suppose its an average time i really am disapointed that its running those time and i have a friend in a eg coupe running 14's with only a skunk2 manifold and launch control... well i guess i just had high expectations from what i was hearing from everyone with stock integra's and gsr's in other cars. Well if i want to run those times im gonna have to invest more in my 300k mile blue sheep
Old 09-25-2009, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pvt_awol
16's doesn't sound that far off in a full weight EM1. Really it doesn't.

But I'm wondering if you don't have automatic cams in that beast? (from a car with an auto tranny I mean)
Umm 16s is way off considering he should be able to hit a low 15 with the stock b16... With a GSR it should only be faster... Across the board...
Old 09-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the jdm ecu might be tuned for a higher octane.what gas did you use? also next time remove the spare and back seats and clean the car out.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is your problem, with your setup your gona need a perfect launch to run low 15s and a 2.4 60' is not going to cut it. My first time at the track about 12 years ago I ran a 17.2 in my gsr with I/H/E about 10 passes later that night I was in the mid 15's. Everyone thinks there a bad *** driver but the clock with put you in your place real quick.

Quick Reply: Slow GSR, didn't think this was possible