Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Slipping torque converter!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slipping torque converter!

It feels like it's trying to lock up but it won't. I was driving around 115mph and I heard a snap and the car stumbled. Shortly after I loss all power going up hills and everywhere else. Got p0700 and p0740 and p1399 (tranny control, torque converter lock solenoid, and random misfire). Is this the end of my transmission.....has anyone ever had this happen to them.......I think it was caused by a unhooked iacv or vtec solenoid. Can a low idle or bad torque converter clutch be causing a misfire?

*On a positive note I just got a y7 w/40k and a manual trans for $300 so goodbye automatic and hello five speed!
Old 07-28-2007, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (akunamatta)

make sure that cable running from the trans to the throttle body also known as a detent/kickdown cable didnt break...... i had mine break and wouldnt let the trans shhift without slipping
Old 07-28-2007, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slipping torque converter! (mattsthru)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mattsthru &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It feels like it's trying to lock up but it won't. I was driving around 115mph and I heard a snap and the car stumbled.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You broke it
Old 07-28-2007, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Slipping torque converter! (97Ej6mike)

Why the hell were you going 115???

You mean you were doing what I did 4 years ago??

Old 07-28-2007, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Donkey85)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Donkey85 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">make sure that cable running from the trans to the throttle body also known as a detent/kickdown cable didnt break...... i had mine break and wouldnt let the trans shhift without slipping</TD></TR></TABLE> Does this apply to auto trannies? Because I dont know of any cables other than the throttle one.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Slipping torque converter! (sageuvagony)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sageuvagony &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why the hell were you going 115???</TD></TR></TABLE> I wanna go fast, I wanna go fast! lol.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Slipping torque converter! (mattsthru)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mattsthru &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I wanna go fast, I wanna go fast! lol.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And I want you off my ******* roads, but unfortunately that's not gonna happen.

So you'll probably die like the rest of the ricers that do 110+ in their stock *** civics.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And I want you off my ******* roads, but unfortunately that's not gonna happen. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Location Wahiawa Hawaii United States
Age 24

Not to worry syndacate, we're Northeast, he's far away.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mattsthru &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I wanna go fast, I wanna go fast! lol.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thats not even funny.
Your 24 years of age, and pushing a 4-speed automatic civic to 115mph.
Thats something only a stupid highschooler would attempt.
You broke your trans being extremely reckless, good going.
Grow up and learn to drive like an adult.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (97Ej6mike)

To all you haters out there go tighten your training wheels. For your information I almost got killed by an old lady who hit me and sent me flying through the air you know what she said "sometimes my knee gives out." WTF I would NEVER put anyones life at risk!
Old 07-28-2007, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mattsthru)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mattsthru &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To all you haters out there go tighten your training wheels. For your information I almost got killed by an old lady who hit me and sent me flying through the air you know what she said "sometimes my knee gives out." WTF I would NEVER put anyones life at risk! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Doing 115 on public roads puts other drivers (and your own) lives at risk.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I personally post and review on this website for my passion of cars I am profoundly fascinated by the potential and performance of my car and any car in general now just because I was going 115mph with an automatic doesn't mean I was not in control of my vehicle and putting peoples life at risk anymore than someone going 5mph over the speed limit or someone thats had one too many or can't see too good or their knee gives out from time to time. I mean c'mon what are you guys HT's very own Safety Patrol telling people what's right and wrong. It is you that should grow up and FYI we don't have a track anywhere on this island for me to take it to so just keep praying that you don't encounter a 4 speeder like me going 115mph.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (97Ej6mike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97Ej6mike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Location Wahiawa Hawaii United States
Age 24

Not to worry syndacate, we're Northeast, he's far away.

Thats not even funny.
Your 24 years of age, and pushing a 4-speed automatic civic to 115mph.
Thats something only a stupid highschooler would attempt.
You broke your trans being extremely reckless, good going.
Grow up and learn to drive like an adult.

</TD></TR></TABLE>would it've been better if it was a five speed? would that have made me a grown up?
Old 07-28-2007, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mattsthru &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I personally post and review on this website for my passion of cars I am profoundly fascinated by the potential and performance of my car and any car in general now just because I was going 115mph with an automatic doesn't mean I was not in control of my vehicle and putting peoples life at risk anymore than someone going 5mph over the speed limit or someone thats had one too many or can't see too good or their knee gives out from time to time. I mean c'mon what are you guys HT's very own Safety Patrol telling people what's right and wrong. It is you that should grow up and FYI we don't have a track anywhere on this island for me to take it to so just keep praying that you don't encounter a 4 speeder like me going 115mph. </TD></TR></TABLE>

BULLSHIT

you have no control over your environment and other drivers when you go that fast. you are endangering everyones lives driving like that on the street

my friend died last week because he was doing exactly what you were doing. going fast in an area he thought he was safe.

grow the expletive up and go to the track if you want to go fast. dont be a ******* idiot. since you dont have a track just dont drive like a TARD. its that simple. if you cant stand it, MOVE.

p.s. torque converters always slip when you arent at a cruise speed on the freeway. you broke something when you were driving like a dumbass. start troubleshooting 1 problem at a time. start with the misfire.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kamin)

bumped for your response
Old 07-29-2007, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Kamin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mattsthru &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">would it've been better if it was a five speed? would that have made me a grown up? </TD></TR></TABLE>
You truly are a fool.
Your about as dull as they come.
Make you a grownup? Regardless of transmission, your a reckless driver for doing that speed on a public road, and even more of a fool to post it up and wonder as to why you think you broke something.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
you have no control over your environment and other drivers when you go that fast. you are endangering everyones lives driving like that on the street</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">grow the expletive up and go to the track if you want to go fast. dont be a ******* idiot. since you dont have a track just dont drive like a TARD. its that simple. if you cant stand it, MOVE. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Someone /thread pls

Modified by 97Ej6mike at 4:47 PM 7/29/2007
Old 07-29-2007, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's your punishment for going 115 mph. A broken tranny. Next time, it'll be your life and possibly someone elses.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mattsthru &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">now just because I was going 115mph with an automatic doesn't mean I was not in control of my vehicle and putting peoples life at risk anymore than someone going 5mph over the speed limit</TD></TR></TABLE>
Are you kidding me? So the guy who's going 70 on the Parkway is threatening my life just as much as the ******* blasting down the road at 115?

Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger_effect

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mattsthru &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">FYI we don't have a track anywhere on this island for me to take it to</TD></TR></TABLE>
That's a terrible excuse.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i hate these type of posts.

there are roads where i live where you could just lay down and take a nap in the middle of the street and a car may not come all friggin day.

at most the only thing at risk is animals, I've sacrificed many a bird/squirrel to the god of speed.

It's the only good thing about living here.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (instrument)

Damn, i don't even think that my DD automatic civic is capable of 115 miles per hour. But seriously, fix the problem, tone it down a bit, b/c cops down here are finiky enough to pull a modified honda over already. No track sucks i know. But don't give the cops another reason to start pulling us over. I'm not saying that its all your fault (lol) i'm just saying everytime someone dies b/c of street racing down here, the whole community feels the wrath from the local Johnny. Instead, what i'd do is focus some energy into writing some letters to your local rep to try and build the track. I know its old news to everyone already and the fight was lost to keep the track, but if we as a racing community, domestic and import alike, give up, then why would the legislature feel that we need a track? Keep trying and set a good example for some of these kids nowdays. Seems like everyday i see a kid in mom and dad's car with an exhaust racing around. Msg me if you really need help fixing your car. Shoots.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you understand the legal ramifications if you were to be found guilty of doing that on a public road?
Old 07-29-2007, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instrument &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i hate these type of posts.

there are roads where i live where you could just lay down and take a nap in the middle of the street and a car may not come all friggin day.

at most the only thing at risk is animals, I've sacrificed many a bird/squirrel to the god of speed.

It's the only good thing about living here.</TD></TR></TABLE>

all it takes is once. one time.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instrument &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there are roads where i live where you could just lay down and take a nap in the middle of the street and a car may not come all friggin day.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah, a car might not come all day. Or, a car might come and kill your sleeping ***.

You're saying that you condone the fact that he's driving 115mph on a public road?

I had friends with the same attitude as you. Note that I wrote "had" and not "have".