Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Slighty built...

Old 01-30-2019, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Re: Slighty built...

Originally Posted by Chrisfrom1986
Do you guys need some? Getting crushed left and right over here. I haven't been able to get $200 for an LS locally
You should hoard them. Junkyards in suburban areas are so restricted by anti-pollution laws that these cars will all be crushed. Only large rural junkyards will be the ones with parts left
Old 01-30-2019, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Joey Mitchell
I love my little cockroach. Lol. And it doesn't really have to be fast, I kind of like the placebo effect . As long as it's loud, and feels powerful I'm happy. Just so I can turn a few heads by romping on the throttle and scare a passenger or two.. hell my y7 turns heads and gets plenty of attention, it doesn't go anywhere in any kind of hurry but sounds like a monster with nothing more than a header and muffler delete, ran into a hollowed out fart can with the end cut off of it .still running stock cat and resinator. The fart can with the end cut off of it acts as kind of a megaphone for my exhaust. LMAO. These kids in NC love it!!!! ������

Thanks everyone for your input, I love gaining a little knowledge. After what research I've done I think I definitely want to go b20z, unless I run across a b20 or b18 incredibly cheap first. Still have no idea what tranny I should be hunting though. Would the stock CRV tranny be any count or should I at least be hunting an ls tranny?

Also, I seen a b20 swapped teg at my local Pull A Part last week, didn't pay any attention to the tranny bc at the time I wasn't really hunting a swap. Anyways, I shy away from previously swapped motors just bc u never know what kind of janky *** 'mechainic' work these billies do here in NC. Just throwing it out there that I did see one. Lol
going off of 90% of our active "wisemen group"s join date our average member age is in the mid to early 30's now. I'm estimating ronJ @ about 52 with a pony tail driving a 99 green civic dx 2 door automatic coupe listening to npr on i45 in Houston every morning.

But yeah we all run stock exhausts and intakes when possible. Torque > horsepower
Old 01-31-2019, 03:07 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
I'm estimating ronJ @ about 52 with a pony tail driving a 99 green civic dx 2 door automatic coupe listening to npr on i45 in Houston every morning.
Damn, you just about nailed me, lol.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:24 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

--rebuilt d16y8 to add.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mini me swap. get yourself a y8 head for cheap with an ecu that corresponds to your year and call it a day
Old 01-31-2019, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chingpo05
mini me swap. get yourself a y8 head for cheap with an ecu that corresponds to your year and call it a day
This was my original plan for the car, I just don't know if the money I would spend would be worth the gains? Ive never drove a y8, and don't know if it's really that much more powerful than my y7. Vtec yes but still sohc. I drove my sister's z6 and it was a slug, but it was an auto so I couldn't get a real feel of the potential of the z6.6
going off of 90% of our active "wisemen group"s join date our average member age is in the mid to early 30's now. I'm estimating ronJ @ about 52 with a pony tail driving a 99 green civic dx 2 door automatic coupe listening to npr on i45 in Houston every morning.

But yeah we all run stock exhausts and intakes when possible. Torque > horsepower
Oh God do me next!!! 😂😂😂 (Insert Michael Scott quote here)

Also, why torque over hp?
Old 01-31-2019, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 178 Likes on 151 Posts

You should hoard them. Junkyards in suburban areas are so restricted by anti-pollution laws that these cars will all be crushed. Only large rural junkyards will be the ones with parts left
If I could sell what I had I would but there's no point for me to take up space in my storage with 10 LS transmissions.

I did find some Work Ewing RS-B at the junkyard today though, they got overlooked because of all the knockoff wheels out there 😅

Old 01-31-2019, 05:48 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 561 Likes on 480 Posts

Because it's torque that actually pushes the car, not HP. Usually with these cars when you gain a few HP you lose torque so the speed that you get up to fast is slower. Less push. It's torque that breaks the tires free, not HP.

Originally Posted by tony_2018
saw my 1st 5spd b18b in 14 yrs at the yard today. i gotta go back friday to get a steering wheel cuz

I didnt have a 19mm

@TomCat39 you still looking for that bracket?
yeah, the d16z6 engine to tranny rear stiffener for an automatic. most definitely
Old 02-01-2019, 12:46 AM
Fish Twig

k
Old 02-01-2019, 04:33 AM
Fish Twig

weather has been mucky and it doesn't look like there won't be any sunshine today to help dry the ground a bit...will see how it goes tomorrow.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 179 Likes on 137 Posts

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, while torque is how far you carry the wall with you.
Old 02-02-2019, 07:53 AM
Fish Twig

@TomCat39 heading out, will 'try' get it, gotta find something dry to lay on.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:25 AM
Fish Twig

@TomCat39
Old 02-02-2019, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This was my original plan for the car, I just don't know if the money I would spend would be worth the gains? Ive never drove a y8, and don't know if it's really that much more powerful than my y7. Vtec yes but still sohc. I drove my sister's z6 and it was a slug, but it was an auto so I couldn't get a real feel of the potential of the z6.6

Oh God do me next!!! ������ (Insert Michael Scott quote here)

If you can find the head swap local from a person or junkyard it will cost you a weekend and a headgasket to gain about 15hp. If youre ordering parts online expenses can add up quickly if youre missing parts or the head is in bad shape. I never bothered, it seemed 50/50 that id get a warped head and double my cost. It was almost just as easy to just swap the whole motor for a y8 vtec motor

Torque is the force of movement, horsepower is the speed of movement.

I rebuilt my y7, my rpm range is low for daily driving. If youre redlining it to get on the freeway or something, the vtec opens the valves more to let more air and fuel in the motor. At about 4500 rpm you would hear the engine get louder and echo back through the intake to hear vtec. Now during normal driving (99% of how I drive) vtec makes zero difference because I shift well below 4500rpm and cruising at 70 on the freeway in 5th the rpm is at 3200. So I found vtec to be essentailly irrelevant for my uses compared to cost

Chrisfrom86 congrats you have a gold mine junkyard in your back yard. I'd be making weekly visits if that was my yard

And yes there is a reason we are all on forums and not Facebook. Were all old farts. Ive noticed international members join forums pretty regularly for advice, shout out to Europeans learning English
Old 02-02-2019, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 178 Likes on 151 Posts

Chrisfrom86 congrats you have a gold mine junkyard in your back yard. I'd be making weekly visits if that was my yard
I would quickly run out of space in my storage if I did that. The wheels, let's just say probably once in a lifetime at this point. In 15 years I've never found real wheels, plenty of oem and cast knockoffs though.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:42 AM
Hysterically Calm

That be the piece.... the manual stiffener cuts into the engine area and misses the bolt hole on the tranny by about 1.5 inches. Just to confirm, that was on the firewall side (intake side) of the engine?

Thank you!!!

Can you PM me what you want for it and we can work out the details?
Old 02-04-2019, 11:36 AM
Fish Twig

I believe we're not able to pm mods to justify our comments when we are flagged by some poor trolling noob.

Yes this was under the intake manifold, I wasn't sure if you wanted the other small mount but if you do its still there. Out of 3 eg's in the yard there was only 1 with a z6 auto in it.

I got the steering wheel with audio controls though, plus a second set just in case. This will be for my 1st gen tacoma.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you can find the head swap local from a person or junkyard it will cost you a weekend and a headgasket to gain about 15hp. If youre ordering parts online expenses can add up quickly if youre missing parts or the head is in bad shape. I never bothered, it seemed 50/50 that id get a warped head and double my cost. It was almost just as easy to just swap the whole motor for a y8 vtec motor

Torque is the force of movement, horsepower is the speed of movement.

I rebuilt my y7, my rpm range is low for daily driving. If youre redlining it to get on the freeway or something, the vtec opens the valves more to let more air and fuel in the motor. At about 4500 rpm you would hear the engine get louder and echo back through the intake to hear vtec. Now during normal driving (99% of how I drive) vtec makes zero difference because I shift well below 4500rpm and cruising at 70 on the freeway in 5th the rpm is at 3200. So I found vtec to be essentailly irrelevant for my uses compared to cost

And yes there is a reason we are all on forums and not Facebook. Were all old farts. Ive noticed international members join forums pretty regularly for advice, shout out to Europeans learning English
"You're only as old as you feel", is what my grandfather always told me. I'm 28 but just started driving again about 8 months ago, went 7 years without a license or driving. So when I'm behind the wheel I feel kinda like a teenager. I think sohc vtec would serve me well as I drive hard about 40% of the time. Lol having that lil extra umph on the top end would feel nice. I'm going to look at the difference in specs when I get off here just to see if a y8 head will offer any more tourqe as well. If so I know it wouldn't be much, but the top end is more concerning to me right now at the moment. I'm already running the ex tranny and man I'll tell ya, she begs for another gear on the highway. Lol
Old 02-05-2019, 03:16 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Yeah, I've been daily driving an EF Civic for with an Si transmission in it for over 8 years now, and when I get in my EG Civic EX, I often find myself cruising in 4th just because I'm so used to the revs being so high. It's nice to realize I have another gear and cruise at a lower RPM on the highway, though.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:34 AM
Hysterically Calm

I believe we're not able to pm mods to justify our comments when we are flagged by some poor trolling noob.
I'm not sure I understand, are you saying the small infraction you are carrying for a short duration prevents you from sending a PM to a moderator?

Old 02-05-2019, 12:17 PM
Fish Twig

Originally Posted by TomCat39
I'm not sure I understand, are you saying the small infraction you are carrying for a short duration prevents you from sending a PM to a moderator?
Usually when i try to pm a mod it doesn't let..I'll pm you later tonight for an address. Need to calculate shipping.