Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Slightly larger injectors with stock ecu?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 09:21 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slightly larger injectors with stock ecu?

Is it possible to run a slightly larger injector on a stock p2p-a31 ecu without any issues? Im running 5 psi boost and would like to get a tiny bit more fuel without having to tune or get a chipped ecu ... could the stock ecu handle for istance a 280cc injector as opposed to the stock 240cc on my d16y8 without any issues?
Old 09-09-2018, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts
Default Re: Slightly larger injectors with stock ecu?

Originally Posted by Violentpanda
Is it possible to run a slightly larger injector on a stock p2p-a31 ecu without any issues? Im running 5 psi boost and would like to get a tiny bit more fuel without having to tune or get a chipped ecu ... could the stock ecu handle for istance a 280cc injector as opposed to the stock 240cc on my d16y8 without any issues?
are you running a fuel pressure riser or anything to tell the car to get more fuel? Your question was very vague which is why you got someone’s Saturday night drunken response. But to answer your question, I was able to go up to a 310cc on my non modified computer and keep a good idle while running a fmu to add the extra fuel and I ran as much as 10psi without any ecu changes. This was back in the late 90’s before all the great options that are available today. I never caused any damage and had a bone stock internal d16z6 running 13.05 @105mph (best time). But it took a lot of old school tricks and knowing what to watch for
Old 09-11-2018, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

At least get an OBD1 ECU and Crome.
Old 09-11-2018, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

OP, larger injectors will provide more fuel EVERYWHERE... from idle to full throttle redline. The ECU does not know that you have changed them. It will, over time, try to compensate for the overly rich condition by adjusting the short term and long term fuel trims. This will not affect full throttle operation... you will still be rich there. The next problem that you face is that the stock ECU cannot read boost... so it has no ability to add more fuel when you hit 5psi of boost. The extra bit of fuel is better than nothing... but you will not know whether this is enough fuel. Too little, too much, or just right... you have no idea.

So, to answer your question... and try to save you from yourself. NO... JUST NO !!! You are far better off to find an old rise rate FMU and go over-rich with a Walbro 255lph fuel pump, (which is 1997 level tuning) than try this ridiculous big injector/stock ECU idea. Better yet, do it right and get a tunable engine management system and large fuel injectors. Chance EG offered up the most basic, and affordable solution.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:57 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
OP, larger injectors will provide more fuel EVERYWHERE... from idle to full throttle redline. The ECU does not know that you have changed them. It will, over time, try to compensate for the overly rich condition by adjusting the short term and long term fuel trims. This will not affect full throttle operation... you will still be rich there. The next problem that you face is that the stock ECU cannot read boost... so it has no ability to add more fuel when you hit 5psi of boost. The extra bit of fuel is better than nothing... but you will not know whether this is enough fuel. Too little, too much, or just right... you have no idea.

So, to answer your question... and try to save you from yourself. NO... JUST NO !!! You are far better off to find an old rise rate FMU and go over-rich with a Walbro 255lph fuel pump, (which is 1997 level tuning) than try this ridiculous big injector/stock ECU idea. Better yet, do it right and get a tunable engine management system and large fuel injectors. Chance EG offered up the most basic, and affordable solution.
Thank you for the informative reply.

I can safely say this question has been reasonably answered in detail and close the thread before it attempts going sideways again.