Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Slight Vibration in steering..at any speed 0 on up...even when braking and turning

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight Vibration in steering..at any speed 0 on up...even when braking and turning

I was hoping maybe someone has experienced this problem and can help me narrow it down.

I can be going 10 mph and the steering wheel shakes/vibrates just a tad. It doesn't seem to get any worse at higher speeds.

It also seems to do this even with the brakes on or off.

I also noticed when taking a turn I can hear some slight thump thump thump thump sound. It's not real loud, but I can actually feel it a little when I hear the sound.

The car is totally stock, never been altered...has 106000 miles on it Civic EX 4dr 95.

I'm just guessing...but do you guys think it's the wheel bearings? I've never experienced bad wheel bearings, so I'm not sure what to expect...I'm just guessing.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might be your axles
Old 09-19-2006, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EKlum)

groovy...guess I'll just have to get off my *** and slide under the car and see
Old 09-19-2006, 09:39 PM

Default Re: (Battle Mike)

i say check your tires.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (uLikeMyPreludeSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by uLikeMyPreludeSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i say check your tires. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup. Probably have a bad tire.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Captain Worley)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Captain Worley &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yup. Probably have a bad tire. </TD></TR></TABLE>
nah, tires are good.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this can be a lot of things
bubble in ztire
maybe a bad tie rod
axle
possibly dookie on a tire.
etc.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (instrument)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instrument &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this can be a lot of things
bubble in ztire
maybe a bad tie rod
axle
possibly dookie on a tire.
etc.</TD></TR></TABLE>
yeah, I figured...too many possibilities. I noticed today that the thumping sound/feel only happens on right turns. I'll be taking a look under the car today to see if I can narrow it down.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe you have light rims?
Old 09-20-2006, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Slight Vibration in steering..at any speed 0 on up...even when braking and turning (Battle Mike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Battle Mike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was hoping maybe someone has experienced this problem and can help me narrow it down.

I can be going 10 mph and the steering wheel shakes/vibrates just a tad. It doesn't seem to get any worse at higher speeds.

It also seems to do this even with the brakes on or off.

I also noticed when taking a turn I can hear some slight thump thump thump thump sound. It's not real loud, but I can actually feel it a little when I hear the sound.

The car is totally stock, never been altered...has 106000 miles on it Civic EX 4dr 95.

I'm just guessing...but do you guys think it's the wheel bearings? I've never experienced bad wheel bearings, so I'm not sure what to expect...I'm just guessing.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm going to have to say wheel bearing. though check you axles, ball joints, rotors, tires, and last but not least MOTOR MOUNTS! though many over look them, they will cause vibration on the steering wheel, no matter what speed you're at.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (WestDC5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WestDC5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">maybe you have light rims? </TD></TR></TABLE>
they are stock wheels...14" steelies.

Anyway, upon inspecting under the car...I found this. Doesn't seem normal, but I guess it could be if it's just a dust cover and moves freely.

This boot is loose...so this isn't normal right? It's like this on both sides of the steering rods (tie rods I assume)

axles, ball joints, rotors, tires, and motor mounts appeared to be fine. So it's either this and/or the wheel bearings

Old 09-20-2006, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No, that's not normal... You need two new steering rack boots, same thing happened to me and it was a somewhat easy fix. DOUBLE CHECK the front end Tie rod/ball joints by shaking the tire back and forth and up and down. Any "Clunking" or Freeplay is not good and is probably a Ball joint or inner/outer tierod. If it's just the Steering Rack Boots that you replace you just need to get an alignment after you're done.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Froth)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Froth &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No, that's not normal... You need two new steering rack boots, same thing happened to me and it was a somewhat easy fix. DOUBLE CHECK the front end Tie rod/ball joins by shaking the tire back and forth and up and down. Any "Clunking" or Freeplay is not good and is probably a Ball joint or inner/outer tierod. If it's just the Steering Rack Boots that you replace you just need to get an alignment after you're done.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so I take it even if it is just the boots...that may mean debris has collected up in there and may be creating that clunking I'm getting in the steering. I may just take it to Honda and let them expletive with it. I was hoping to do this myself...I've swapped out axles, motors, lsd's, etc...just tired of messing with cars sometimes...especially in this heat