Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Slid into a curb, unsure if I damaged my car or not..

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slid into a curb, unsure if I damaged my car or not..

I'm a kid. Kids are stupid. Let that set the tone for my story.

I was doing small powerslides in an EMPTY parking lot and somehow managed to find a small tar curb. I essentially parallel-parked into the curb going no more than 10 mph, if I had to guess, around 5-7 mph. The car came to an immediate halt, as one can assume. I got out ready to kick myself because I was expecting the worst, bent sub frame, positive camber, demolished car. I got out to find zero damage to the car! The curb actually broke and caved in where both tires / steelie lips hit it. The tires held air, didn't break bead, nothing. The rims have a good six inch in length scuff on the lip, but otherwise the camber of the wheels seems to be as it was, and the vehicle drives just as it did prior to this incident. The alignment is fine, it doesn't pull or levitate to either side. I also did the finger test, I put my fingers between both sides of the tire and the arches, and the spaces are identical all around.

If physics has taught me anything, I think I lucked out. I think because the curb broke, all the energy and momentum of the vehicle was transferred to the curb when it broke, and didn't apply extreme force to any suspension components.

I've had snow tires and steelies on my car for about four days now. They were purchased on Craigslist, and I have NO IDEA if they have been balanced. I never went over 50 mph before this accident, so this stumbles me. Between 55-65 mph, highway speeds, the car has this odd vibration, almost as if the tires weren't balanced at all. There's no rubbing sounds or anything, the car just vibrates more than normal. Is there a chance I bent the rims, and it's just not visible? Is there a good chance it's just unbalanced tires and this accident didn't do anything in regards to the vibration? What do you guys think?
Old 12-11-2013, 06:27 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Slid into a curb, unsure if I damaged my car or not..

Without being there and seeing the car I would take it in for an alignment and get the tires balanced.

I used to do alignments, it doesn't take that much to get a car out of adjustment, hit a pothole hard enough and you can do it. If something is bent they'll tell you.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Slid into a curb, unsure if I damaged my car or not..

Yeah, I think I'll take it in for an alignment and see what happens.