Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

sleeving? what is it?

Old 12-25-2006, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sleeving? what is it?

i have a quic question and i know its dumb but its the only way i will find out... what is sleeving and how is it done? its for turboing your engine right?
Old 12-25-2006, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it's a very expensive machining process to strenghten your block so it can handle all the big bang in the combustion chamber so your cylinder don't blow up!!!!!!!! QUICK ANWSER
Old 12-25-2006, 08:07 AM

Default Re: (vtec_avenue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtec_avenue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's a very expensive machining process to strenghten your block so it can handle all the big bang in the combustion chamber so your cylinder don't blow up!!!!!!!! QUICK ANWSER</TD></TR></TABLE>
QFT
Old 12-25-2006, 08:10 AM

look in the back of any import magazine i see specials all the time 800$ sleeves installed--- if you consider that very expensive then give up building honda's
Old 12-25-2006, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (adonis2oo2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adonis2oo2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">look in the back of any import magazine i see specials all the time 800$ sleeves installed--- if you consider that very expensive then give up building honda's </TD></TR></TABLE>

True for the work thats done and the engine life that it saves its very cheap as to all other parts you get to add up.

Sleeving can be for either all motor or boost. Were running a 83mm Benson GSR Turbo and a 85mm Benson B20 All motor. Reason we did it with the B20 is because when you bore out that motor the sleeves get very thin. With the compression we went with we dont want anything to go wrong. Its more of a safty. Theres many people that are out there with different sleeves and everyone has there opinion on whats good. It really depends on what your goals are and how many times you think your going to break a rod.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes, if you have the money nothing is expensive, very true but $800 for sleeve installed, that's like free..........!
Old 12-26-2006, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sleeving? what is it? (xxmikexx206)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xxmikexx206 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a quic question and i know its dumb but its the only way i will find out... what is sleeving and how is it done? its for turboing your engine right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can turbo a motor without sleaving. You can even turbo a stock motor.
Old 12-26-2006, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: sleeving? what is it? (cambopheonix56)

it all depends on what your goals are. if you wanna build a dd that makes 200hp all motor then sleeves arnt really neccessary. but if you want to make more like 300plus with turbo, then sleeve the block
Old 12-26-2006, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sleeving? what is it? (fmrprojects)

It really depends what block.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:40 PM

Default Re: (adonis2oo2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adonis2oo2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">look in the back of any import magazine i see specials all the time 800$ sleeves installed--- if you consider that very expensive then give up building honda's </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you also look in the back of import magazines, you see electronic superchargers installed for $69.95. So if you think superchargers are expensive you should give up on hondas.

Doesn't work that way does it?

It important where you get it done. I saw a customers b20 block he tried to get sleved and the number 4 cylinder wall was twice as thick as 1,2, and 3. If you get it done, get it done right. Not by someone who doesn't know what they are doing and are just trying to scam you for money
Old 12-26-2006, 07:38 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=565375

how one of the best in the business does it
Old 12-26-2006, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sleeving? what is it? (doood)

That is a pic of a sleeved block. From this angle it kinda just looks like a block guard if you look close you can see where the sleeves actually meet. This is my b20 block with the Darton 84mm MID sleeves. It cost me nearly 2g's for the sleeves and installation. This included the final bore and hone.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sleeving? what is it? (smileycvc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smileycvc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That is a pic of a sleeved block. From this angle it kinda just looks like a block guard if you look close you can see where the sleeves actually meet. This is my b20 block with the Darton 84mm MID sleeves. It cost me nearly 2g's for the sleeves and installation. This included the final bore and hone. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sleeving a block is replacing the original Cylinder wall material with a Full Iron Ductile Cylinder Sleeve.

If you look at the original Material of lets say a B-series block, you can see the difference between an Iron Ductile sleeve.

Check out this first picture of a stock Sleeve block(top) vs a Sleeved open deck block(bottom pic).(taken from our website, only ones I have uploaded online)

Another style we use are the DARTON MID sleeve kits. As you can see the difference between the open deck and the MID sleeves.

Old 12-26-2006, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xxmikexx206 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a quic question and i know its dumb but its the only way i will find out... what is sleeving and how is it done? its for turboing your engine right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sleeving is done for both all motor and turbo applications.

The common reason for sleeving the block for each setup is similar but in some ways different.

Main reason for All Motor is to increase displacement. The Iron Ductil Sleeves can let you bore the cylinders bigger than the stock cylinder walls. Lets say for B18 blocks, they start out at 81mm and can be bore up to 87mm. of course the bigger you go, the thinner the walls get. so common bore size is 84mm for B-series. for the b18s, it gets you up to about 2.0L in displacement.

Main reason for turbo is to strenghten the cylinder walls to handle the increase in pressure in the block from forced induction setups. While the stock sleeves, can handle a pretty good amt of boost, the sleeved block is a precaution and it can also increase displacement the same way all motor setups are done. Bore sizes on turbo setups arent as big though on a b18 since you dont want to have the walls too thin on turbo motors. There's so much pressure in the block that it has a higher chance of blowing head gaskets with super thin cylinder walls as opposed to all motor setups. common bore size for turbo is 84mm as well but usually dont go past 85mm.