Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Slave Cylinder Leaking at Nipple ... Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slave Cylinder Leaking at Nipple ... Help

Hey guys, I had clutch pressure problems this week and found out it was my slave cylinder. I replaced it with one from autozone and the clutch felt fine and everything but everytime I felt under the nipple part where you bleed it it would be wet. So i returned it for another one and installed that one again and same thing happening, I left a newspaper under it over night and there was a leak puddle a little smaller than my fist in the morning. Is the autozone part cheap? It was only 20 dollars. Or am I installing it wrong? Everything else seems to work fine. Or is it normal for the first few days for the nipple to be wet? Thanks in advance for the help if any.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:53 AM

Default Re: Slave Cylinder Leaking at Nipple ... Help (singlehx)

it's not normal for it to leak like that. I would unscrew the nipple and make sure the threads are clean and then screw it back in. It only has to be snug don't overtighten it.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Slave Cylinder Leaking at Nipple ... Help (singlehx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by singlehx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey guys, I had clutch pressure problems this week and found out it was my slave cylinder. I replaced it with one from autozone and the clutch felt fine and everything but everytime I felt under the nipple part where you bleed it it would be wet. So i returned it for another one and installed that one again and same thing happening, I left a newspaper under it over night and there was a leak puddle a little smaller than my fist in the morning. Is the autozone part cheap? It was only 20 dollars. Or am I installing it wrong? Everything else seems to work fine. Or is it normal for the first few days for the nipple to be wet? Thanks in advance for the help if any.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm running a $13 advanced auto one and it works fine. sounds like the bleeder is not tight enough or you need a new bleeder. is the threading on the bleeder stripped?
Old 08-02-2008, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Slave Cylinder Leaking at Nipple ... Help (civicjoe)

yeah the first one i installed i tightened the hell out of it because it kept leaking a little. when i returned it i looked at the nipple and it was squished haha. but the second one i installed i only tightened it until it was snug and still ... same problem. i barely tightened it, i hope that it's not so cheap that it got squished again. but i barely tightened it ...
Old 08-02-2008, 09:58 AM

Default Re: Slave Cylinder Leaking at Nipple ... Help (philosofy1)

No it isn't stripped, both parts i installed were brand new. first one i installed i tightened it like hell, the second i barely did and still the same problem. i'm thinking whether or not to go back to autozone and exchange it for a different brand that cost more which has to be special ordered. but i don't know if it's the slave cylinder thats the problem.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it leaking from the threads, or from the bleeder itself?

If its the threads then I'd say teflon tape, otherwise it sounds like a bad bleeder valve.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:13 AM

Default Re: (OMGWTFBBQ!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by OMGWTFBBQ! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is it leaking from the threads, or from the bleeder itself?

If its the threads then I'd say teflon tape, otherwise it sounds like a bad bleeder valve. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I would say threads, but it's hard to tell since the leak is real slow. Before trading in the first part for another one i test fitted my oem bleeder valve on the part and it seems to fit, i'm thinking of trying to switch the bleeder valves with my oem one now.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:21 AM

Default Re: (singlehx)

I was looking at the shape of the bleeder and I just noticed it is the threads. the nipple part is always dry and its only wet when i feel under the threaded part so it's definitely the threads. Is it because the brand maybe sucks? Something else is wrong with my car and there is too much pressure? I'm going to try switching bleeders and put in my oem one.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:28 AM

what the OP said, re-thread the valve with teflon tape...... buy the tape designed for gas pipes(yellow I believe), the quality is a little bit better.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:14 AM

Default Re: (babyivan)

I wrapped the bleeder threads with some white elastic tape, pretty sure it's for piping. I pumped the clutch 100x and looked around for leaks, pumped another 100x and looked for leaks. So far so good, the bleeder doesn't leak from the threads anymore. But i noticed one thing new, everytime i push the clutch in, about one inch from the floor i hear a sort of clicking noise. It only clicks once, has anyone ever had this experience before because my clutch never made a click noise before 1 inch from pushing it all the way down. I also checked under the master cylinder under my dash and i saw a leak on the wall. I know it wasn't there before because i wiped the wall last night so any new leaks would make a new mark. I'm guessing i'm going to have to change the master cylinder now too. But if anyone knows about that clicking noise please let me know in case i have to change anything else besides the master cylinder. thanks guys.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:13 PM

Default Re: (singlehx)

bump