Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Skunk2 vs. all other coilover question...Good or Bad? Any Suggestions........ Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skunk2 vs. all other coilover question...Good or Bad? Any Suggestions........ Help

My Wife's Si is about to become mine here in the next few weeks.
I really want to drop it more then it is now, And I figured Coilovers are the key.

I heard Skunk2 coilovers are good, But How good?
Do they have a lot of bounce to them? I don't want a lot of bounce.
How low do they go?
Any noise problems or falling apart?
Would Ground Control's be better?

I have stock Shocks now with Skunk2 springs on the Si, But I still have a nice amount of wheel gap and the car sits uneven.
I really want to slam the car on the Stock Si wheels or a set of 15" Black Slips that I had as a spare for my Integra.
I'll be purchasing a camber kit too, But I really don't wanna spend more then $275 to redrop the Si.

Does anyone have pics of a 99-00 civic without a kit, on 15"s and almost on it's nutz?
Any Suggestions?
Thanks for any help that can be offered.
Old 07-17-2004, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Skunk2 vs. all other coilover question...Good or Bad? "w/Pics""........ Help (Outkasted24)

This is My Si, See how high it sits...

Now this is what I want.....................................

Or even this drop if I end up getting 17" TE37's

Ooooooo Hottness!!!
Old 07-17-2004, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Skunk2 vs. all other coilover question...Good or Bad? Any Suggestions........ Help (Outkasted24

I would go with ground control. I work at a shop i have used a lot of different coil overs from skunk to max speed to hyper the best ones are ground control no noise and smooth ride but it has a lot to do with your shocks also if your shocks are beat then its going to ride like crap. i can get you good deals on either skunk or GC PM or email if interested
Old 07-17-2004, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Skunk2 vs. all other coilover question...Good or Bad? Any Suggestions........ Help (Outkasted24

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ALLvtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would go with ground control. . i can get you good deals on either skunk or GC PM or email if interested</TD></TR></TABLE>

IM me Please.
I'm interested in GC's if that's the best
Old 07-17-2004, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the debate for ground control vs. skunk2 is highly debated...

possibly more than the d-series vs. b-series...

either brand is acceptable... and by acceptable i mean wonderful. i have used both ground controls and skunk2's and notice how similar they are. the only "problem" that i have encountered is that the old skool ground control's use a single perch and allan hey key, whereas the skunk2 uses two locking perches.

whichever fits your budget, either coilover is great

setup... 92civic hb, prelude ground controls, stock shocks
Old 07-17-2004, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im on skunk2s I have no complaints. They only bounce if you lower them all the way down. The higher you go the more comfortable. But like ALLvtec said your shocks have to be good. I have stock shocks and the ride is smooth. Previously I had Eibach sportlines (which rode like stock) but I wanted more of a drop. I heard of ground controls being good but the front sleeves started to crack on my buddys 99 ex. Skunk2s have a special retaining ring to keep them from doing that. The ride will be alot stiffer either way. I also have skunk2s on my CRX since 98 and they are still working fine.
Old 07-17-2004, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRexer101 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Absolutely beautiful!!!!!
That's the drop that I want!

How much bounce do you have with the car sitting like that?

I had WeaponR's on my Integra back in the day and I regretted driving every mile in that thing.
It bounced so bad!!!
That's the only Coilover I have experiance with.

So, Skunk2 will be better then Weapon-R's...Even if I slam the Si on stock shocks?
Old 07-17-2004, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have skunk2's w/ koni yellows, no problems yet. Although, ground controls come w/ quality eibach springs. i dont know if skunk2's springs are susceptible to saggage or breakage. Personally, i would've have bought ground controls, but i got the skunks for nothing. You can achieve that drop w/ either brand.
Old 07-17-2004, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do yourself a favour and get a full coil over system (koni yellows). the shocks + springs setup will make your car ride teh goodness.
Old 07-17-2004, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ground Control Coils and KYB AGX's for about 2 years now. The only thing i worried about was freezing up the perch bolt, but you just have to use wd-40 when adjusting height. They've treated me well.

I've had it lower and i've had it higher before, i like this height.
Old 07-17-2004, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by frostcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do yourself a favour and get a full coil over system (koni yellows). the shocks + springs setup will make your car ride teh goodness.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah, but at the moment I really don't wanna spend more then $275
So the Stock shocks will have to do for a while...Unless I can find a quality used set for $30ish.

anyone have more pics?
Old 07-17-2004, 01:51 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats what you call slammed.

and the benifits are all visual.
handling and ride comfort are low
Old 07-17-2004, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is how low the car used to sit, But they were Arospeed coilovers and the ride started to get real rough, My wife couldn't stand driving the interstate everyday like that, So I installed Skunk2 springs.
But the drop doesn't meet my standards. Heh
Old 07-17-2004, 02:37 PM

you prolly won't be able to drop more than 1.5 inches on stock struts
Old 07-17-2004, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicSI23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you prolly won't be able to drop more than 1.5 inches on stock struts</TD></TR></TABLE>
Uhh, The two pics right above your reply has stock shocks and Arospeed coilovers.
That's way past 1.5"
I just didn't like the way it rode with that coilover, The coils on the spring part were very thin= more bounce/not enough resistance
Old 07-17-2004, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have very minimal bounce. But my shocks were good. Thats my daily driver so comfort is somewhat essential. Another thing is rim/tire size. I ride on kumho's 205/40/r15. Im sure the ride would more uncomfortable on 17s with a 40 side wall. My crx feels more ruff on 205/40/r16s. It however has skunks with tokiko blues which I think are blown now. But really the skunk2s are just what I expected. I am going to upgrade to AGXs pretty soon for adjustability. BTW is that the OEM rear lip, where you get it?
Old 07-18-2004, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Black hatch in the pic is mine sitting on GROUND CONTROLS.

I'll tell you right now if its not SKUNK or GC its going to make noise or be really bouncy. If you can afford a full shock/coil over set up go for it but if it has no damper adjustment its a waist of money. Adjustable KYB's or Tokicos and so on shocks with Skunk or GC is just as good or better then a full coil over setup
Old 07-18-2004, 11:19 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicSI23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you prolly won't be able to drop more than 1.5 inches on stock struts</TD></TR></TABLE>

Uh, if you're talking about skunk coilovers on stock struts, mine is dropped 2" and I still have room to work with. I love my skunks. Not too much bounce except when I'm going 80 on the freeway and hit a bump.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is it just my monitor or is that pic dark as hell?
Old 07-18-2004, 11:31 PM

Of course it's dark, the car's black.

Yeah, the pic is dark on mine too.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:34 PM

the ride on any coilover blows, if you want a nice ride and alittle tuck, tien is the way to go, I had tien springs type S, and had alittle tuck (one finger) but the best part was when I went over train tracks at 50 mph, I didn't really fill anything. it was the best ride and you can buy them on ebay for 100 bucks it's a way better ride then any coilover.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you cant go wrong with either one. Ive been on both with stock shocks and illuminas. they both ride crappy on stock shocks. pair it up with any aftermarket shock and you will be set.
Old 07-19-2004, 04:35 AM

I'd have to go with skunk2, mine dont' bounce at all but then again I don't have them rubbing the ground either.