Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

skunk2 suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default skunk2 suspension

posted in suspension but it doesnt ever seem to have much activity so im tryin here i have a 95 civic si and i really want to lower it and recently have been lookin at skunk2 springs. they are supposed to be a 2.2/2.0 drop will this hurt my stock struts and do i need to get an alignment when i lower it.. is theres anything else i need other than the springs? thanks in advance
as you can see it needs lowered

Old 05-18-2008, 07:25 PM

Default Re: skunk2 suspension (EGhatchguy)

you should upgrade the struts or else a few months down the road youre goiung to have to replace them anyway. an alignment wouldnt hurt after wards either.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:28 PM

Default Re: skunk2 suspension (Kurly)

ya the car came slammed with cut springs... so i bought the shocks and struts for $50 last summer and just drove it like that but i wanna do a mild drop so the struts wont be able to take the skunk2 springs then?
Old 05-18-2008, 07:31 PM

they can but.. i dont know how long because the strutrs are made for stock height so once you lower it they get streessed and go out.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:38 PM

Default Re: skunk2 suspension (Kurly)

ya.. whats a good but not too expensive strut im in high school and i dont have a ton of money it took me a year to get something better than steelies an exhaust and intake and tint not to mention the car lol
Old 05-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont go with skunk2 they bounce alot
Old 05-18-2008, 07:49 PM

Default Re: skunk2 suspension (Rheg6)

im open to suggestions im new to this suspension thing all i really know is that i want to get my car looking a little less AWDish i have heard good things about skunk2 and bought their exhaust which was good quality so i wasnt sure.
Old 05-18-2008, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGhatchguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is theres anything else i need other than the springs?

</TD></TR></TABLE>
get smalller wheels
Old 05-18-2008, 07:54 PM

Default Re: skunk2 suspension (v!taminb16)

yes i agree idk what i was thinkin with 17s.. i like the wheels but also dont wanna buy tires for them and avoid every single crack in the road.. so im probly gonna go with some 15 or 16s but ill lower it on those for now
Old 05-18-2008, 08:09 PM

what are some other quality alternatives to skunk2 and does anyone have personal experience with them? are they too bouncy?
Old 05-18-2008, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What are your intentions with the car and your realistic budget?
Old 05-18-2008, 08:26 PM

Default Re: skunk2 suspension (95ProjectEJ1)

ultimately id like to do an ls swap and turbo later on this summer after i work more hours.. that being said id like to get the suspension done for a fairly reasonable price and i dont want any type of coilovers i figured i would do all of that before i have a lot of power in this car. so a decent set of springs and then i guess if i need to upgrade struts then i will id like to stay in the 3-400 range or less if possible but also wanna do things right so if more money is needed ill just work more
Old 05-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had Skunk2 coilovers on a 94 Accord,rode like crap blew two struts within a 2 days literly.What i would do ( And i do this with all my Honda's i buy) Buy some Tein Springs,and get some KYB GR2 struts.Looks clean.And cheap Springs for my 99 EM1 were like $160 shipped,struts should be around the same.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: skunk2 suspension (Brycen)

just save up and get skunk2 pro series full coilovers there nice
Old 05-18-2008, 10:05 PM

i have been running the skunk2 coilovers....just the sleeves for about 4 years now ...on stock shocks on my eg and its not bouncing like ppl say bout skunk but i like em they have not blown and im running a motor been to the track and everything good ...u may need an alignment i did hahah good luck buddy
Old 05-18-2008, 10:13 PM

Default Re: (MontanaSFS)

well as I said before coilovers are out of the questioni don't like how they are designed but the tein setup souns nice were those s. techs? and do u have any pics to show how low the car is? im concerned with goin too low because of the winters here
Old 05-18-2008, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (EGhatchguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EGhatchguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well as I said before coilovers are out of the questioni don't like how they are designed but the tein setup souns nice were those s. techs? and do u have any pics to show how low the car is? im concerned with goin too low because of the winters here</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. Get ride of those 17's, its killing your mpg and slows your car down. Get some 15inch rims(oem, konig, and rota since you have no $$$), your car will handle better, get better mpg, and look better.

2. As for suspension, i'd recommend sk2 sport shocks ($220 or so shipped, thats the price i found them for) Pick up a set used megan/skunk2 slip over coilovers or lowering springs, shouldn't cost you more than $100-$200. If your really on a budget, buy used springs and run them with your stock shocks. Ride quality isnt the best but it will do the job for a couple of months. Just hope your shocks dont give out.

3. Make sure to get a alignment done after wards ($50-$90). I'd also recommend getting a front camber kit, theres alot of debate about getting one or not but IMO, get one. Do the rear washer trick to fix your toe in the rear and your set.

link for the rear washer trick...
http://home.earthlink.net/~civ....html

Modified by bmoua at 11:56 PM 5/18/2008
Old 05-18-2008, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

coilovers aren't bad, have u heard of ground control? if u want a good set up, get ground control coilover and pair it with either kyb agx, tokico illuminas, or koni sports. if ur going with spring, u can try out the h&r or eibach springs, they're not bad.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (lilo_goki)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lilo_goki &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">coilovers aren't bad, have u heard of ground control? if u want a good set up, get ground control coilover and pair it with either kyb agx, tokico illuminas, or koni sports. if ur going with spring, u can try out the h&r or eibach springs, they're not bad.</TD></TR></TABLE>

OP wants to spend $3-400 max...i gave him the cheapest way to lower your car while still maintaing quality parts.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:47 AM

Default Re: (bmoua)

ya I wantto get some 15 inch rotas maybe gt3s or slipstreams this car is a dd and I do not want coilover I have heard bad things and just don't want them but will skunkr be good for dd or too stiff? thanks for all the good info btw
Old 05-19-2008, 04:35 PM

Default Re: (EGhatchguy)

I have tein s tech springs and tokiko shocks on my eg2 del sol. doesn't bounce at all and handles great. i had them on for a year and a half and had no problems. you'll need an alignment and prob have to get a camber kit. i went for the skunk2 front and rear camber kits.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:04 AM

do u have any pics of ur car lowered I have heard that people weren't very impressed with the drop on those springs I don't want to be slammed though so those springs might be perfect for what I want
Old 05-20-2008, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

theres a bunch of people who dont know what theyre talking about in here.

skunk2 pro series coilovers-junk. i have them.

springs are bouncy no matter you do, thats the nature of a spring. however, a good shock will counter the bounce and make your car ride smooth. if someone ever tells you a spring is bouncy...well duh. its a [freak]ing spring.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: skunk2 suspension (speedooo)

id say do it right the first time. dont just throw springs on there. your gonna need to replace struts eventually anyway, just resulting in more work for yourself. save a couple paychecks and get a decent shock and spring combo. btw, im loving my GC Koni combo
Old 05-20-2008, 09:06 AM

Default Re: skunk2 suspension (speedooo)

ok thanks for finally providing afirsthand experience im leaning more toward teins now any pics of those?

Quick Reply: skunk2 suspension