Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Skunk2 Stage 2 Cams + Smog test = no good?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skunk2 Stage 2 Cams + Smog test = no good?

I have been thinking about getting the Skunk2 Stage 2 cams for my 95 VTEC.
Would I still pass smog with these?
thanks
Old 02-14-2006, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Skunk2 Stage 2 Cams + Smog test = no good? (usmcsoldriver)

Pretty sure you can't :/
Old 02-15-2006, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha, never ever ever pass smog with those!
Old 02-15-2006, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by usmcsoldriver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have been thinking about getting the Skunk2 Stage 2 cams for my 95 VTEC.
Would I still pass smog with these?
thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

You'll never pass with Skunk2 cams!
Old 02-15-2006, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

what's a 95 VTEC???

skunk2 Stage2 cams will not pass smog. I doubt would pass with Stage1.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Skunk2 Stage 2 Cams + Smog test = no good? (hazw8st)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hazw8st &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You'll never pass with Skunk2 cams!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats not true at all. You CAN pass with stage once since they are CARB exempt. You will most likley fail with the stage 2's though considering how much larger they are in comparison.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Skunk2 Stage 2 Cams + Smog test = no good? (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thats not true at all. You CAN pass with stage once since they are CARB exempt. You will most likley fail with the stage 2's though considering how much larger they are in comparison.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Cams are usually one of the last mods. Theoretically speaking, if the cams were the only mod, he'll pass. But, how many people do you know that have installed cams as their first and only mod? Cams are for what? Cams are used to flow more air and fuel into the combustion chamber on the intake stroke of the 4 stroke cycle, and by adding more air and fuel, the idea is to get more horsepower in exchange. Correct? That is why cams are installed, to take advantage of the current overfueling caused by ECU or injector mods.

Skunk2 cams by themselves will not cause the vehicle to fail emissions, unless the vehicle has "other" modifications and the engine is not in tip-top shape to begin with.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes u can. given that u have all the smog related equipment. my bro's 2000 Si passed smog with those cams. but it was close. on one of the emmissions value(i think NOx) it was like 3 points before hitting the limit.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Skunk2 Stage 2 Cams + Smog test = no good? (hazw8st)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hazw8st &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Cams are usually one of the last mods. Theoretically speaking, if the cams were the only mod, he'll pass. But, how many people do you know that have installed cams as their first and only mod? Cams are for what? Cams are used to flow more air and fuel into the combustion chamber on the intake stroke of the 4 stroke cycle, and by adding more air and fuel, the idea is to get more horsepower in exchange. Correct? That is why cams are installed, to take advantage of the current overfueling caused by ECU or injector mods.

Skunk2 cams by themselves will not cause the vehicle to fail emissions, unless the vehicle has "other" modifications and the engine is not in tip-top shape to begin with.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Even with basic I/H/E crap the cams would still pass, assuming he went mild enough as stage 1's, ctr's, etc.. I know I passed the sniffer with no issues using the stage 1's when I went to the ref.

I wouldn't say that cams are solely to take advantage of over fueling from ECU mods either. I would say more or less, along the lines you mentioned, they are to accomodate other "breathing" mods such as headwork, i/h/e, intake manifolds, throttle bodies, etc.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So is it true you could pass smog with stage 2's, given you have the stock cat, ecu, etc. with a good afr, and at 0 deg? And of course if the motor itself is running fine.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Skunk2 Stage 2 Cams + Smog test = no good? (guymosiris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by guymosiris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So is it true you could pass smog with stage 2's, given you have the stock cat, ecu, etc. with a good afr, and at 0 deg? And of course if the motor itself is running fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

In a perfect world, yes.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

first hand experinece with the 00 Si here at home.
s2s2 cams, toda gears, vafc, gayEM cai, DC 4-1, DC full exhaust(TCS), stock cat.
passed but it was close
Old 02-25-2006, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdm951EK4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm951EK4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">first hand experience with the 00 Si here at home.
s2s2 cams, toda gears, vafc, gayEM cai, DC 4-1, DC full exhaust(TCS), stock cat.
passed but it was close
</TD></TR></TABLE>

When vehicles come off the assembly line, they are all built a little different and with different tolerances. The vehicle manufacture tries their best to make all vehicles the same. All vehicles perform differently and are tuned differently from the factory. And that is due to hundreds of vendors and sub-contractors that are contracted out to make engine parts, gaskets, bolts, sensors, etc. etc. There exist many variables as why not all vehicles perform the same new. Even a slight mishap during assembly or final tuning can create havoc for the vehicles owner. You can compound that by adding all the mechanics that have worked on a vehicle, all the different aftermarket (non-OEM) parts installed, and improper vehicle maintenance.

Old 02-25-2006, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hazw8st)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by haz-turbo-H22-crx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

When vehicles come off the assembly line, they are all built a little different and with different tolerances. The vehicle manufacture tries their best to make all vehicles the same. All vehicles perform differently and are tuned differently from the factory. And that is due to hundreds of vendors and sub-contractors that are contracted out to make engine parts, gaskets, bolts, sensors, etc. etc. There exist many variables as why not all vehicles perform the same new. Even a slight mishap during assembly or final tuning can create havoc for the vehicles owner. You can compound that by adding all the mechanics that have worked on a vehicle, all the different aftermarket (non-OEM) parts installed, and improper vehicle maintenance.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

All these variables are the reason why one persons vehicle with cams, I/H/E, and an aftermarket ECU passes smog and the next persons vehicle doesn't pass smog stock with no modifications. Just because a vehicle is the same make and model, doesn't mean they were built the same.

Old 02-25-2006, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by haz-turbo-H22-CRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

All these variables are the reason why one persons vehicle with cams, I/H/E, and an aftermarket ECU passes smog and the next persons vehicle doesn't pass smog stock with no modifications. Just because a vehicle is the same make and model, doesn't mean they were built the same.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
I once owned a Honda CRX that I believed to be completely stock. It looked stock, and the engine bay was completely stock, no bling-bling, no aftermarket intake or anything. And the person who I bought it from was the original owner and she was a mid 50's older lady and she told me it was stock. The car only had 60,000 miles, I bought the car cheap with a bad timing belt, so I installed a new timing belt and the car ran great and when I did a compression check, the engine was healthy and had great compression. When I drove it, the vehicle screamed through the gears. I then tried to smog it a couple of times and failed a couple of times, I took it to a couple of speed shops and then to the Honda dealer to try to diagnose the problem, everybody I took it to said the vehicle was completely stock and had no issues. I then started tinkering with it and soon discovered that the CRX had an aftermarket race ECU, fat injectors, 268 cams and an aftermarket race head. All this through a stock intake and a stock exhaust. I then went back to the old lady and asked her who installed the parts and why she hadn't told me from the beginning, the old lady told me that she didn't know what I was talking about. And, that her vehicle was completely stock and that her grandson occasionally did oil changes on her car. I asked the lady to ask her grandson what he had done to her car, the grandson then admitted the he used to race her grandmothers civic when she would leave it at her job.

Old 02-25-2006, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I once owned a Honda CRX that I believed to be completely stock. It looked stock, and the engine bay was completely stock, no bling-bling, no aftermarket intake or anything. And the person who I bought it from was the original owner and she was a mid 50's older lady and she told me it was stock. The car only had 60,000 miles, I bought the car cheap with a bad timing belt, so I installed a new timing belt and the car ran great and when I did a compression check, the engine was healthy and had great compression. When I drove it, the vehicle screamed through the gears. I then tried to smog it a couple of times and failed a couple of times, I took it to a couple of speed shops and then to the Honda dealer to try to diagnose the problem, everybody I took it to said the vehicle was completely stock and had no issues. I then started tinkering with it and soon discovered that the CRX had an aftermarket race ECU, fat injectors, 268 cams and an aftermarket race head. All this through a stock intake and a stock exhaust. I then went back to the old lady and asked her who installed the parts and why she hadn't told me from the beginning, the old lady told me that she didn't know what I was talking about. And, that her vehicle was completely stock and that her grandson occasionally did oil changes on her car. I asked the lady to ask her grandson what he had done to her car, the grandson then admitted the he used to race her grandmothers civic when she would leave it at her job.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

You bought a "stock" CRX with cams huh?
Old 02-25-2006, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You bought a "stock" CRX with cams huh?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The grandson had installed all the aftermarket parts without letting the old lady know.
Old 02-25-2006, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Relic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what's a 95 VTEC???
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Judging by his screenname, I'm guessing a 95 Sol with a B16, commonly called a VTEC
Old 02-25-2006, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The grandson had installed all the aftermarket parts without letting the old lady know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Doesn't matter.. Unless he installed another engine or you bought it from an overseas lady, no stock CRX came with camS

Old 02-25-2006, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why is this guy quoting and talking to himself?

Old 02-25-2006, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fwdtamiya)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fwdtamiya &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why is this guy quoting and talking to himself?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Huh?
Old 02-25-2006, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Huh?</TD></TR></TABLE>
hazw8st

He has three posts in a row, and he's quoting himself at 9:03am, 9:04am, and 9:10am.
Old 02-26-2006, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fwdtamiya)

Computer crashed. It happens....