Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Skunk2 shifter...dual or single bend for '99 Civic Si??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Skunk2 shifter...dual or single bend for '99 Civic Si??

I'm 90% sure this is the short shifter I want to buy, but can't seem to make up my mind about the 2 different bend configurations. If anyone here has used this shifter, could you please tell me which one you went with and if you regret getting the bend you bought? Thanks!
Old 04-03-2003, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Skunk2 shifter...dual or single bend for '99 Civic Si?? (Evil Beaver)

I have the single bend in my civic and like it alot but I know alot of the guys use the dual bends (to make it sit closer to the driver)
but depends on what you want
Old 04-03-2003, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Skunk2 shifter...dual or single bend for '99 Civic Si?? (Jim Morrison)

Get the dual bend along w/ the skunk2 shift ****
Old 04-03-2003, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Skunk2 shifter...dual or single bend for '99 Civic Si?? (96-EJ6 B18C)

i have the double bend shifter with the skunk2 shift ****. awesome combo. i do wish i would've gotten the single bend shifter.

[Modified by BlueBalls, 7:13 PM 4/3/2003]
Old 04-03-2003, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Skunk2 shifter...dual or single bend for '99 Civic Si?? (Jim Morrison)

Get the dual bend along w/ the skunk2 shift ****
Old 04-03-2003, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Skunk2 shifter...dual or single bend for '99 Civic Si?? (euclid)

Thanks for all the replies! I'm a little confused, though. When I spoke with someone at Skunk2, he told me the single bend would bring the shift **** closer to the driver, and that the dual bend would keep the **** itself more vertical as you shift. I would like the **** to be a little closer than stock, but don't want any of the metal showing between the **** and the bag. I realize that I will have to add a washer or maybe some tape up top to prevent the bag from sliding down, but is the dual bend any longer than the single?

BlueBalls, could you tell me why it is you wish you would've gotten the single bend? Please be as descriptive as possible!

Thanks again, and sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure I get what's right for me.

Old 04-03-2003, 07:45 PM

Default Re: Skunk2 shifter...dual or single bend for '99 Civic Si?? (Evil Beaver)

yeah, i want to know as much info as possible too. because i am not sure what the difference would be
Old 04-03-2003, 07:51 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Skunk2 shifter...dual or single bend for '99 Civic Si?? (josups)

i have a dual bend LS shifter with a civic si shift **** and boot...I love it...about 40% shorter than stock...very smooth and precise...i say go with the dual bend
Old 04-03-2003, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Skunk2 shifter...dual or single bend for '99 Civic Si?? (BauleyCivic)

Someone help, i need one for my CivicEx
Old 04-03-2003, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Skunk2 shifter...dual or single bend for '99 Civic Si?? (makaveli284)

I got the double bend and it looks like stock, but it shifts SO nice over stock. Plus my grinding into 2nd went away.
Old 04-03-2003, 08:03 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Skunk2 shifter...dual or single bend for '99 Civic Si?? (makaveli284)

what do you need help with? the dual bend will be a shorter shift and will be located farther towards you...the shifter comes out of the rear part of the console than in the center...i have a dual bend and i like it
Old 04-03-2003, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Skunk2 shifter...dual or single bend for '99 Civic Si?? (CivicSiRacer)

forgot to add myself to email.
Old 04-03-2003, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Skunk2 shifter...dual or single bend for '99 Civic Si?? (CivicSiRacer)

Well, I was originally leaning towards getting the single bend, but you guys have almost convinced me to get the double! Hopefully BlueBalls will shed some light on the problems or dislikes he has with his double bend. One thing is certain though, I'll definitely get the shift ****. I also ordered a leather shift boot from some guy and later found out that he's located in Europe. I hope what I receive looks as good as the ones on the website and doesn't take forever. Check it out:

http://boots.hypermart.net/clrchart.htm
Old 04-04-2003, 05:21 AM

Thanks for all the replies! I'm a little confused, though. When I spoke with someone at Skunk2, he told me the single bend would bring the shift **** closer to the driver, and that the dual bend would keep the **** itself more vertical as you shift. I would like the **** to be a little closer than stock, but don't want any of the metal showing between the **** and the bag. I realize that I will have to add a washer or maybe some tape up top to prevent the bag from sliding down, but is the dual bend any longer than the single?

BlueBalls, could you tell me why it is you wish you would've gotten the single bend? Please be as descriptive as possible!

Thanks again, and sorry for all the questions. I just want to make sure I get what's right for me.
the reason why i would prefer the single bend is because of the reason that skunk2 gave you. with the double bend, the **** stays vertical in 2nd, and 4th gears. when in 1st, 3rd and 5th the **** feels like it's too far forward. the single bend shifter would have the feel of the stock position with the shorter throws. the dual bend is still great, but i'm pretty sure that with a civic, the single bend one was the way to go.

i got my shifter from options auto and they don't give you the option to order the single or the double bend. i thought that because i was ordering the shifter for a civic that they would send me the single bend. let me know if you guys have any other questions.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:05 AM

Default Re: Skunk2 shifter...dual or single bend for '99 Civic Si?? (BlueBalls)

single bend with skunk2 **** :yummy:
Old 04-04-2003, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the reason why i would prefer the single bend is because of the reason that skunk2 gave you. with the double bend, the **** stays vertical in 2nd, and 4th gears. when in 1st, 3rd and 5th the **** feels like it's too far forward.
So let me see if I understand you correctly. When in 2nd and 4th it's closer to you, although not as close as the single bend would be, but in the other gears it's actually farther away, or does it just feel that way?

I'm still confused!
Old 04-04-2003, 08:24 AM

with the dual bend in a civic, if you're in 2nd of 4th gear, it'll be in the location that the stock shifter is in when in neutral.

Thus, the dual bend puts the shifter farther away
Old 04-04-2003, 08:36 AM

yes sir ree, the double bend will not really look like a short shifter. it's long almost like the stock one. it sure shifts nicer though. but seeing that you want the no metal showing deal, definately go w/ the single.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:45 AM

Default Re: Skunk2 shifter...dual or single bend for '99 Civic Si?? (brcivic411)

with the dual bend in a civic, if you're in 2nd of 4th gear, it'll be in the location that the stock shifter is in when in neutral.

Thus, the dual bend puts the shifter farther away
That's about right. Not only that, but the position of the **** will also be a little weird. When in 2nd and 4th, the top of the **** will be almost facing the roof of the car, rather than angled a bit more towards the back. in 1st, 3rd and 5th, the top of the **** will face even further to the front. is a bit hard to explain and unfortunately and don't have a digicam to take pics of it. just go with the single bend.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

metal showing between the **** and the bag.
i'm sorry. that's just funny he said **** and bag..

i had the single bend.. i wish i went with the dual bend.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:24 AM

Default Re: Skunk2 shifter...dual or single bend for '99 Civic Si?? (mugen76)

I have the double bend with no complaints. I originaly ordered the single bend but they sent the double bend. I am glad they sent me this one because it feels perfect.
Old 04-04-2003, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Skunk2 shifter...dual or single bend for '99 Civic Si?? (98EJ)

don't get me wrong, i really like my short shifter even though it is the double bend. i just think i would've preferred the single bend one.
I also have the mugen bushings with the shifter. gives it a nice firm feeling. i used to have the poly bushings but i didn't care too much for those, so i changed them with the mugen ones.
Old 04-04-2003, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm sorry. that's just funny he said **** and bag..
I was laughing as this was typed, but that's what it is! I don't want ANY metal showing between my **** and bag! Sort of sounds like tattoo and body piercing forum questions.

BlueBalls, how much did you pay for the Mugen bushings? I already bought some urethane bushings for $8, so if I don't like them I might go for the Mugens.

Well, more people have posted who have the double bend and like it, but I'd bet that if they had gotten the single bend, they'd be just as happy. The single bend looks more durable, and is closer to stock. I seem to change my mind every few hours. I hate decisions!

Old 04-04-2003, 12:14 PM

i've had a single-bend stock shifter, a single-bend short shifter, and now i'm running a dual-bend integra shifter. the dual just feels a lot better to me. it all depends on YOUR personal preference. find someone with a dual, and compare it to your single. go with what feels best.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:14 PM

BlueBalls, how much did you pay for the Mugen bushings? I already bought some urethane bushings for $8, so if I don't like them I might go for the Mugens.
i got it from R and D. but they get it from king, so either one will do. i can't remember how much i paid for them but i know it was more than the poly ones and less than the spoon bushings.

i just looked and they are 55 bucks on the king website. i think R and D had a slightly better price though.

Quick Reply: Skunk2 shifter...dual or single bend for '99 Civic Si??