Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Skunk2 IM help

Old 10-20-2003, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skunk2 IM help

just installed a skunk2 IM on my gsr motor in my 2000 ex. before putting it on, the gsr ran perfect, but now with the sk2 IM, we have a code (which we cant pull for some reason because it's converted from obd2b to obd1, and yes we know how to pull codes, we believe the conversion harness has something to do with it) and its putting us in limp mode. now we've checked all the vaccums and sensors and they're all in. new TB gasket and IM gaskets. we're puzzle as to what the problem maybe. when the starting the car, it starts up really really ruff, and when shutting the car off, it shakes the whole car. also the idle goes up and down b/w 1500 to 2000 rpm. we think it maybe a vaccum leak, but there can only be so many vaccums to be accounted for. also, we checked a friend's gsr with a sk2 IM and it looks just the same, all sensors/vacuums are hooked up a like.

and yes, we did a lot of searches...checked all vaccums and sensors..the IM just doesnt want to work...any help would be great.
Old 10-20-2003, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Skunk2 IM help (pennies_hatchie)

Could be the Butterflies or lack there of on the new manifold.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Skunk2 IM help (Spade)

we're not using the secondary butterflies..
not sure as to why its doing that..
we're just puzzled...as to why its not working, i mean, its just a godamn bolt on, why doesnt it work
Old 10-20-2003, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it sounds like a map sensor problem, that woudl make it rev up and down and send a limp mode check light...could be an IAC prob too...you sure you didn't mix the TPS and IAC plug up?
Old 10-20-2003, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BSeriesTurbo)

yeah..
the tps sensor isnt mixed up cause we changed the two around as well...nothing happen...pulled some vacuums on purpose to see for any change, nothing. we looked at the map sensor, pulled that biatch, changed the rpm for the worst, threw it back on and it idles a lil better..
so right now, we're pretty sure all the vaccum lines and sensors are hooked up right..
just not sure why the thing doesnt work
Old 10-20-2003, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pennies_hatchie)

don't know what to tell you exept check the wiring.. thats the only reasonable possibility. I installed RoaringTurtle's IM on his gs-r motor and his was obd2 to 1...
Old 10-20-2003, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ByronC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ByronC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">don't know what to tell you exept check the wiring.. thats the only reasonable possibility. I installed RoaringTurtle's IM on his gs-r motor and his was obd2 to 1...</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah the wiring were checked out..
we also tried a 99 si ecu and the same thing happen..but we didnt plug in the IAT nor the IAC when trying the 99 si...but we did however get limp mode up to 2500 rpm
but when we tried the obd1 gsr (the IAT and IAC sensors were wired into the conversion harness), we still got the same idle, but limp mode was up to 3500 rpm. meaning that there are different codes at work here. i also dont understand why we cant pull the code from the obd1 gsr ecu either... we tried pulling the code from the 99 si ecu and it works, but its just a bunch of obd2 nonesense....

any more help would do...also, the sk2 IM is brand new
Old 10-20-2003, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

which harness are you running(year and chassis), what year is your chassis? and was the swap running fine before the intake mani swap?
Old 10-20-2003, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my car- 2000 civic ex
motor- 94 gsr
wire harness- 2000 civic ex
conversion harness- obd2b to obd1 from jdmshit.com

and yes, the swap was running before the sk2 IM, with some codes but it started up and turned off nicely unlike now- turns off and on really rough. also, before we had codes, but no limp mode, now, we have codes, but limp mode
Old 10-20-2003, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what codes are coming up? if you are using the obd1 ecu, then use the obd1 code guide thing.
Old 10-20-2003, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ByronC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what codes are coming up? if you are using the obd1 ecu, then
use the obd1 code guide thing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

for some reason, we cant get the code for the obd1 setup...
not that we're doing it wrong, it just doesnt come up...we tried another obd1 p72, still no code, so we're thinking its the conversion harness, but we dont have another conversion harness to use

we tried the 99-00 si ecu and got code 4 which is an obd2 cel
Old 10-20-2003, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pennies_hatchie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
and yes, we did a lot of searches...checked all vaccums and sensors..the IM just doesnt want to work...any help would be great.</TD></TR></TABLE>

never heard of a IM not wanting to work.

maybe you go t a bad ecu or the wiring is definately faulty somewhere.
Old 10-20-2003, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Skunk2 IM help (ByronC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ByronC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

never heard of a IM not wanting to work.

maybe you go t a bad ecu or the wiring is definately faulty somewhere.</TD></TR></TABLE>

we're thinking faulty wires, but we've tried direct routing them to the ecu and still it doesnt work..
all plugs, vacuums, and coolent hoses are plugged up...
its just a mystery as to why it doesnt want to work...i mean, it works, but we're in limp
Old 10-20-2003, 04:08 PM

When i installed mine this week on my del sol. It did the same thing but it eventually went down. Now its fine. You might want to check your throttle cable mine was too alittle to tight when i started my car.
Old 10-20-2003, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (XxslayerxX)

throttle cable is okay....
we took it off completly and still the idle problem...so not that either..
Old 10-20-2003, 06:55 PM

honestly, you must have damaged a sensor. just a vacuum leak would not cause you to go into limp mode.

also check to see that the fuel rail is torqued down, and that each injector & clip is in right.

take some saran wrap and lay it over the manifold until you find the vacuum leak.

it took me a week to find out that it was just an o-ring in my injector.

Old 10-20-2003, 07:10 PM

you need to re-adjust your TPS sensor. .45v at idle and 4.5 at WOT.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sung)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sung &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you need to re-adjust your TPS sensor. .45v at idle and 4.5 at WOT.</TD></TR></TABLE>

how do you go about adjusting hte TPS sensor..

also, the injectors for some reason is NOT, i repeat, NOT all the way in. we tried to push it all the way in, but it wont go. no fuel is leaking but there is about 2-3 mm of the injector still out and you can still see the black round rubber things as well.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

up
Old 10-21-2003, 08:42 AM

Do you have 3 black round plasic piecses that go on to your manifold, before you put your fuel rail on? I did and i had to take them out so it fit. They are spacers, because if you measure the distance where the rail sits on to where the injectors go its a different length. But i have a b16a3.
Old 10-21-2003, 09:57 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pennies_hatchie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also, the injectors for some reason is NOT, i repeat, NOT all the way in. we tried to push it all the way in, but it wont go. no fuel is leaking but there is about 2-3 mm of the injector still out and you can still see the black round rubber things as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I bet that is the problem. The big black O rings should go in the holes in the manifold and the injetors should go into them and cause them to bulge so you know they are sealed good.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:08 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pennies_hatchie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

how do you go about adjusting hte TPS sensor..

also, the injectors for some reason is NOT, i repeat, NOT all the way in. we tried to push it all the way in, but it wont go. no fuel is leaking but there is about 2-3 mm of the injector still out and you can still see the black round rubber things as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

stick a voltmeter in the tps sensor. and turn the key to on.

try a search and i think a more informative thread will come up.
Old 10-21-2003, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (King Tut33)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by King Tut33 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I bet that is the problem. The big black O rings should go in the holes in the manifold and the injetors should go into them and cause them to bulge so you know they are sealed good.</TD></TR></TABLE>

we tried pushing them in as hard as we can (with a screwdriver) and they wont budge. im still confused as to why the're stuck...
Old 10-21-2003, 01:02 PM

yeah. i figured it was the injectors...

i had the same problem....

you'll need to take off the fuel rail. and pull out each individual injector. check the conditions of the o-rings.
carefully place them back, and retorque the fuel rail to SPEC... don't overtorque it, because you'll risk damaging o-rings or the injectors...

also make sure the wiring clips wiring are not too tight, as they will stretch and pull at the injectors.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tofurky)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tofurky &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">carefully place them back, and retorque the fuel rail to SPEC... </TD></TR></TABLE>

use assembly lube for the O rings so they dont tear.

if the car had codes and issues before the install my guess is that you have more problems than just your IM.

why not ditch the jumper harness and plug in the OBDII ECU , you'll get a butterfly code but at least you can see what other codes are causing problems.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Skunk2 IM help