Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Skunk2 chamber kit. go for it? over priced?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2002, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skunk2 chamber kit. go for it? over priced?

Just wandeing on what you guys think about skunk2 camber kit.

good? over price?

Old 02-07-2002, 04:40 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Skunk2 chamber kit. go for it? over priced? (Asild)

From what i've heard it's one of the best camber kits out there. But on thing that seems kinda messed up is the fact that everyone says the adjustable ball joint camber kits suck and are just a waste of money. If you don't know that's exactly what the skunk2 kit is an adjustable ball joint kit. I was planning on getting one but have put it off because of this, i'm kinda in the same boat as you only the money isn't the problem it's the function. I don't want to spend $200 on a front camber kit that sucks.
Old 02-07-2002, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Skunk2 chamber kit. go for it? over priced? (mantic6t9)

From what i've heard it's one of the best camber kits out there. But on thing that seems kinda messed up is the fact that everyone says the adjustable ball joint camber kits suck and are just a waste of money. If you don't know that's exactly what the skunk2 kit is an adjustable ball joint kit. I was planning on getting one but have put it off because of this, i'm kinda in the same boat as you only the money isn't the problem it's the function. I don't want to spend $200 on a front camber kit that sucks.
how is it the best camber kit out there if the adjustable ball joint camber kits suck?

i would recommend ingalls camber kit.
Old 02-07-2002, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Skunk2 chamber kit. go for it? over priced? (MiGs)

Skunk2 =
Old 02-07-2002, 06:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the skunk2 one better myself, infact I bought one even though I am not a fan of skunk2.

The ingalls is a pain the *** to use, as with any of the anchor bolt adjustable ones out there.
Old 02-07-2002, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think its kinda cool, and would be a huge help if you are into autoxing or road racing to dial in a few degrees neg camber up front. But me? naaaah,...camber ain't your enemy...and if you're worried about uneven tire wear...bah! Just get your car aligned and you should be allright.

-ryan
Old 02-07-2002, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From what i've heard it's one of the best camber kits out there. But on thing that seems kinda messed up is the fact that everyone says the adjustable ball joint camber kits suck and are just a waste of money.
You gotta be kidding me . The adjustable ball joint control arms are the way to go.

Asild:
I'm currently selling my Skunk2 upper control arms because I can't legally use them in my class this season. Email me for more accurate information on this subject and if you're interested in the control arms.
Old 02-07-2002, 08:41 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Skunk2 chamber kit. go for it? over priced? (johng)

Ok well i'm ordering my skink2 camber kit off groupbuycenter.com sometime soon.
Old 02-07-2002, 09:16 PM

I was gonna use the chamber kit.. because i'm gonna be in Autocross, and PIR tracks on BMW club days.

i think chamber kit would be beneficial for traction too... right?
Old 02-07-2002, 09:42 PM

also.. a quick question.... it the skunk2 chamber kit... for front only??

does front and rear use the same chamber kit?? thx.
Old 02-07-2002, 10:34 PM
New User

skunk2 camber kit is for the front only. front and rear camber kits are totally different from eachother.
Old 02-07-2002, 11:49 PM
B18C-EJ1

Default Re: Skunk2 chamber kit. go for it? over priced? (BlackDeuceCoupe)

I'm sorry, the skunk2 kit is fawking awesome.

***** Ingalls and their outdated crap, if you're really low, you have to grind the edge of the upper arm for it to fit in the wheelwell. Garbage I tell you.

I like the fact that you can go +/- 3 degrees each way. That's great stuff.

Plus check this.....

Which one is Mugen and which one is Skunk?

Can't tell?

Mugen/King = $375
Skunk2 = $225

Old 02-08-2002, 12:36 AM
B18C-EJ1

Loosen allen bolts, slide ball joint, tighten allen bolts.

done.
Old 02-08-2002, 12:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Skunk2 chamber kit. go for it? over priced? (B18C-EJ1)

i was under the impression that the camber kits that use an upper control arm were made for the 96+ civics. if you're extremely low, would you have to shave the inner fenderwell with the skunks?
Old 02-08-2002, 01:08 AM
B18C-EJ1

Default Re: Skunk2 chamber kit. go for it? over priced? (boostedeg6)

Nope, I have them on my 5g, and they fit and work better than my Ingall poo-poo ever worked.

No squeaking either.
Old 02-08-2002, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

People with the K-Mac kits are having problems with fender clearance due to the size and design of the unit. Their idea is nice, but the physical size of the product limits its application. The King and Skunk2 (Group-A) upper control arms are basically the same parts. Reinforced OEM control arms with a sliding ball joint that changes the spindle location and wheel camber roughly +/- 4 degrees.

These are the Skunk2 arms I'm selling for $200 "shipped" to you. These are by far the best adjustable control arms on the market.

As far as adjusting them, take the car to a alignment shop and tell the camber settings you want. It may cost a few bucks more, but it's really not a big deal for them. You'll find most shops get excited about doing something different for a change.

BTW: These control arms fir 1992-1995 Civic & DelSol, also the 1994-2001 Integra.

[Modified by johng, 10:19 AM 2/8/2002]
Old 02-08-2002, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there is a group buy going on right now for brand new skunk2 camber kits for $200 shipped. i'll give you $150 shipped if you are interested.
Old 02-08-2002, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Skunk2 chamber kit. go for it? over priced? (*******)

i have the ingalls front camber kit and it'poo pooing my front inner fenders, is there anything i could do to fix this? i was told if i get drop forks i would make the necessary clearance
Old 02-08-2002, 04:44 PM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People with the K-Mac kits are having problems with fender clearance due to the size and design of the unit. Their idea is nice, but the physical size of the product limits its application.
Yes, I see. And WHICH ppl would that be; off-line phantoms that aren't directly involved in this 'conversation' and can't be reached for confirmation? How convenient...

...The King and Skunk2 (Group-A) upper control arms are basically the same parts.
Hence, generic. Do they make generic rear kits too?

... Reinforced OEM control arms with a sliding ball joint that changes the spindle location and wheel camber roughly +/- 4 degrees.
Yeah, very "roughly." Skunk2 Racing front camber kits offer an adjustment range of 6 degrees, not 8 as you have declared. Your statement is "roughly" 25% off...

...These are by far the best adjustable control arms on the market.
How so? It's just a 'sliding ball joint' unit like the Ingall's which costs less money, is built better and comes with your choice of OE rubber or polyurethane bushings. What kind of bushing come with the Skunk2? Cheap, sealed [yeah, right!] racer wanna-be ball units?

K-MAC makes front AND rear kits for CiViC's from 1986-2002, not just front kits for 1992-'00 like your Skunk2, and K-MAC units allow caster as well as camber adjustment.

Come on, quit being a self-serving huckster. K-MAC's are patented. They've been used on racecars since the early 60's and fit 90% of the cars on the road.

Ppl aren't having problems with K-MAC's because of their "size and design" and they aren't limited in their application. If that's what you truly think, you don't know much about suspensions, bro...
Old 02-08-2002, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Camber aint yer enemy!? hahah. Your car must be as high as me jeep!
Here's a picture of my tire:

Got camber? Maybe...I am riding on Eibach Sportlines (about a 2" drop) and Tokico blues. Its not that low...and camber caused the uneven wear, but these tires are about a year old. What caused that? NO ALIGNMENT. My toe is off by A LOT in the front. That caused the excessive wear.

How do I know? Well...my buddy is rolling around on cut springs...with like a 3.5" drop in the front. He has MAD CAMBER...but his tires look FINE...same ones, same size. My tires wore down WAY quicker then his...and he does burnouts galore! You know what...he got an alignment.

CAMBER IS NOT YOUR ENEMY...TOE IN/ TOE OUT IS!!!!

Also...for anyone that wants a camber kit...just get the front...in the rear, just toss on 2-3 washers...it took me 30 mins from jacking up my car, to lowering it down (both sides)....if you need help, IM ME!

-ryan
Old 02-08-2002, 05:29 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Skunk2 chamber kit. go for it? over priced? (riot)

Also...for anyone that wants a camber kit...just get the front...in the rear, just toss on 2-3 washers...it took me 30 mins from jacking up my car, to lowering it down (both sides)....-ryan
And, that "30 mins" you spent is the fun part of the washer trick. Now [imagine Paul Harvey's voice] it's time for the rest of the story...

While you may initially save money by not getting a rear camber kit, when you take it for an alignment most places will complain and charge you more because they have to add/remove washers or simply do it the 'right way' and replace them with shims to get the camber corrected. It is NOT an exact science.

You can find a rear camber kit, like an Ingalls [ahem!] for 120 bones and save yourself a lot of time and money in the long run. Remember, time equals money. So, as they say, "You can pay me now or you can pay me later."

And, that's the rest of the story... Good day!
Old 02-08-2002, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You're obviously uneducated. I don't have the energy to debate with you. Bye bye.
Old 02-08-2002, 07:44 PM
HT White Ops

I don't have the energy to debate with you...
LOL! You sound like my wife...
Old 02-08-2002, 09:32 PM
B18C-EJ1

HOLY CHIT BATMAN!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone dared to look at the prices of a KMAC unit?????

I guess BDC decided to leave this out of the conversation for a reason.

CHECK THIS CRAP OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CIVIC/CRX
'91-'00
331116J

NOTE THE J

Now.........

Pricing: Letter after Part No represents Price Category

D-65
E-126
F-195
G-285
H-345
I-365
J- 455

OUCH! and that's PLUS shipping from Australia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't care HOW good you think the KMAC kit is, for $455+$30 in shipping, I had better get something more than a balljoint adjuster.

OH Yea!, BDC also failed to mention that you have to get the ball joint PRESSED out, and the KMAC unit pressed IN.

There's some more $$ to spend on just your camber kit........

Think about it.

Oh, and BDC, the Skunk2/King kit is not Generic. Ingalls is the Generic kit. Go look at the construction quality of the Ingalls, then compare it to the Skunk2 kit. You'll see what generic means.
Old 02-08-2002, 10:06 PM
HT White Ops

HOLY CHIT BATMAN!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone dared to look at the prices of a KMAC unit?????

I guess BDC decided to leave this out of the conversation for a reason.
Hell, he's the one that said he was going racing. My bad! I figured he might want to win. Imagine that...

On second thought, you guys better stick with the Skunk2 [appropriately named]. And, I suggest you buy it from the dude that sells them out of his bedroom. He said he's out of energy. Maybe he doesn't have enough money to buy groceries or something.

LOL! You guys are whack...

Quick Reply: Skunk2 chamber kit. go for it? over priced?