Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

skunk 2 stage 2 cams

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default skunk 2 stage 2 cams

i went and looked at a del sol today with b18 and it was just rebuilt and has about 10,000 miles on the motor and it had skunk2 stage 2 cams and i was listing to the engine and it was making a ticking noise and it wasent really loud but it was noticeable and i asked him about it and he said that it ticks bc the cams are so big, i dont think that is true but ive never seen a car with these cams in it so if any one that has these cams could tell me if theres do a similar thing that would be helpful or any other information. and he said it has double valve springs, & titanium retainers Manley stainless valves. so the valve train is upgraded.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:58 PM

Default Re: skunk 2 stage 2 cams (thegizzman)

hey this is joe read what u said ive never herd of a cam ticking cuz its so big ifs it is the gsr being that it is v tec some kind of misplacement might be wrong wit the middle lobs if its the ls it could be posible timing is off for both stage 2 might not sound big but its be difference my advice find out for sure its sounds like that guy doesnt have a straight answer
Old 06-29-2008, 08:06 PM

Default Re: skunk 2 stage 2 cams (b18FORZA7)

yea its a b18c1 block with a b16 head and it is vtec, the car ran good and had alot of power but i was just wondering if anyone has herd of this bc i dont want to buy this car for some decent $$$$ and have to go buy some new cams a few miles down the road. the only thing i could think of is that the tick is bc the timing changed alot or that the cams are worn down alot, it doesnt have the right valve train to run with stage 2 cams
Old 06-29-2008, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thegizzman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea its a b18c1 block with a b16 head and it is vtec, the car ran good and had alot of power but i was just wondering if anyone has herd of this bc i dont want to buy this car for some decent $$$$ and have to go buy some new cams a few miles down the road. the only thing i could think of is that the tick is bc the timing changed alot or that the cams are worn down alot, it doesnt have the right valve train to run with stage 2 cams </TD></TR></TABLE>

He is running the s2s2 cams on stock valvetrain? I would plan to upgrade to better valvetrain. I know of a few n/a dohc vtec setups and they all tick a little, but as long as your not hearing a bad tick. Maybe do a compression test first?
Old 06-29-2008, 08:55 PM

Default Re: skunk 2 stage 2 cams (mnskateboarder)

he said it has double valve springs, & titanium retainers Manley stainless valves, but there is deffinatly a ticking noise from the head
Old 06-29-2008, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thegizzman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">he said it has double valve springs, & titanium retainers Manley stainless valves, but there is deffinatly a ticking noise from the head</TD></TR></TABLE>

i hope they are aftermarket double valvesprings, not the oem ones. Do a compression test. I guess it is hard to describe the tick you are hearing, maybe take it to a local shop who build honda's and see what they have to say.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:44 AM

Default Re: skunk 2 stage 2 cams (mnskateboarder)

i no people that have built the b18 block wit the b16 head and they would go through head gaskets w/ in 10k miles so def check that keep ur eye on it like the other guy said do a compression test other wise
Old 06-30-2008, 11:27 AM

Default Re: skunk 2 stage 2 cams (b18FORZA7)

yea i no its not a rod knock or anything it from the head and does anyone know how much a compression test kit is, would a compression test tell me if theres a problem with the cams, ive seen pics of cam lobes being worn down alotttttt on here so i was thinking maybe thats whats wrong with this one
Old 06-30-2008, 03:03 PM

Sounds like the valve lash isn't set properly. They will NOT make this noise just because of how "big" they are. A motor can be ran for awhile with the valve lash out of sorts..just not hard. if it's clanking and sounding like *** then it's either really out of spec, or something's in the head or you've wiped a lobe. If you wiped a lobe it would be apparent , cuz the car would run like total ****. All of this points back to what I said in the beginning...sounds like the valve lash is set wrong.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: skunk 2 stage 2 cams (NOv8IV)

check valve lash and timing, NOv8IV is right, cams could make your motor tick if the lift is so high that when open they tap the piston, but unlikely on s2s2 cams, and most often time when this is the case people get pistons which are recessed to allow for such high lift/aggresive timing to eliminate the problem, but like i said those cams shouldnt "tick" unless valve lash is way out or timing is incorrect