Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

skunk 2 springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default skunk 2 springs

sorry for duplicate treads just want this in a little higher traffic area

can anyone tell me how to calculate the spring ratio of skunk 2 drop springs?
front tender = 123
front main = 520

rear tender = 106
rear main = 291

been searching and really cant find a definate answer on if these springs are any good. everyone always says to go with ground control coil overs, or always say that the skunk coil overs are way to stiff. im asking about the lowering springs. i already bought them, got them about 6 months ago, before i started researching them. so im curious on what everyone thingks. i dont want coil overs, so please dont tell me i should of got some gc coilovers.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: skunk 2 springs (Frickr)

bump.

i also have these springs laying around, never got around to installing them so i'm curious what people think of them before i get off my *** and do something with them
Old 02-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

give skunk 2 a call and they can tell you all the spring rates and how far they should drop your car. you will probably want to upgrade the struts as well or they will end up blowing once the car is lowered.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:57 PM

Default Re: skunk 2 springs (93egSLEEPER)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93egSLEEPER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">give skunk 2 a call and they can tell you all the spring rates and how far they should drop your car. you will probably want to upgrade the struts as well or they will end up blowing once the car is lowered.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i planned on that that's part of the reason they have been sitting for so long i got the main and tender rate but want to know the Static and i know the drop already
Old 02-19-2008, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea it's like 2.2" in the front and 2" in the back.
I am giong to pair these up with some struts, just haven't picked any up yet, it's a spring thing, waiting til all of the snow clears and i move out of this neighborhood with **** roads
Old 02-19-2008, 06:29 PM

Default Re: (Jakester9500)

nobody runs these? or have ran them?
Old 02-19-2008, 06:38 PM

Default Re: (Frickr)

ok i just found out that theres no way to find out the spring rate without actually dynoing them. now how about the handling and ride of these springs?
Old 02-19-2008, 08:02 PM

bump
Old 02-20-2008, 12:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: skunk 2 springs (93egSLEEPER)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93egSLEEPER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">give skunk 2 a call and they can tell you all the spring rates and how far they should drop your car. you will probably want to upgrade the struts as well or they will end up blowing once the car is lowered.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not even skunk2 can give you the actual spring rates

I tried when someone was selling a used set on here....called up skunk2 and the guy flat out told me "We don't have that information"
Old 02-20-2008, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: skunk 2 springs (broketuner-Sol_Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Frickr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nobody runs these? or have ran them?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds like we are the first people on honda-tech that are going to use them, huh?
Oh well, I'm down for new things.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:49 AM

Default Re: skunk 2 springs (Jakester9500)

i guess... when it gets a little warmer then 0 out, ill get them put on and post some pictures
Old 02-20-2008, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what are you using them for? They offer a signifigant drop, actually lower then my racecar is set at. I put mine on the stock 120,000 mile strutts. The bounce is shitty, since there is no rebound control with the stock struts. However, they ride better then my friends stock strut and coil overs. With a proper strut they are a great everyday setup. If you want them for racing, then sell them and get a proper setup. I don't like them personaly, because they have the two spring rates I can't think of what it's called. But it has the initial rate and then another one, i don't like feeling that. I have no clue on the rates, other then pretty soft.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:59 AM

Default Re: skunk 2 springs (coneheadsracing)

im mostly going to be using my car for a dd, maybe a few passes on an 1/8th mile track. (closest quarter is 400 miles away) is ther anyother springs with simmular drop, for close to the same price?
Old 02-20-2008, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would just get some good struts for them. Like i said for a daily they are more then fine. If you were serious into racing, then i wouldn't use them, but for dd and the once in a while trip to the strip they'll do fine.

Stiffer springs and struts will help at the strip with weight transfer, but then you have a harsher dd ride. Depends on what you can stand and how much you want to spend. I have some tein ss 16 ways for my 92 hatch, and love those springs for an all around everything setup. I would like stiffer now as that is strictly my track car. Like i said depends on how much you want to spend.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:27 PM

Default Re: skunk 2 springs (coneheadsracing)

my 96 civic is riding on skunk2 springs right now on stock shocks. i should be getting the skunk2 street shocks pretty soon.

so heres was my civic looks like with skunk2 springs and stock shocks.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

and as for the ride, dont kno how they are with aftermarket shocks, but with my stock shocks, theyve blown them out(duh) and too bump for DD.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:34 PM

Default Re: skunk 2 springs (ex_ricer)

i like that drop. thats about what im lookin for thanks for the pics
Old 02-20-2008, 01:39 PM
Banned

Default Re: skunk 2 springs (ex_ricer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ex_ricer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my 96 civic is riding on skunk2 springs right now on stock shocks. i should be getting the skunk2 street shocks pretty soon.

so heres was my civic looks like with skunk2 springs and stock shocks.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

and as for the ride, dont kno how they are with aftermarket shocks, but with my stock shocks, theyve blown them out(duh) and too bump for DD. </TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm diggin the rims!
Old 02-20-2008, 02:08 PM

Default Re: skunk 2 springs (yoffer)

thanku
Old 02-20-2008, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea i wouldn't plan to auto x these springs either. I was thinking of either pairing them with some Koni AGX's or Koni Yellows just to make it a little better ride for my spirited driving.

Still a little surprised with the little response on these springs.

Modified by Jakester9500 at 1:24 PM 2/21/2008
Old 02-21-2008, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jakester9500)

I also have them on my EG with stock shocks and boy what a nice drop but a crappy bounce it comes with !
Old 02-21-2008, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the drop rates for them listed here (and other springs too):
1992-95 Civic
1996-00 Civic

All of the drop rates were given to me by the manufacturer, so they should be pretty accurate.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:19 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Frickr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sorry for duplicate treads just want this in a little higher traffic area

can anyone tell me how to calculate the spring ratio of skunk 2 drop springs?
front tender = 123
front main = 520

rear tender = 106
rear main = 291

been searching and really cant find a definate answer on if these springs are any good. everyone always says to go with ground control coil overs, or always say that the skunk coil overs are way to stiff. im asking about the lowering springs. i already bought them, got them about 6 months ago, before i started researching them. so im curious on what everyone thingks. i dont want coil overs, so please dont tell me i should of got some gc coilovers.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, you're not buying tender springs. If you're buying lowering springs, the 520 and 291 seem WAY crazy. The rates given are probably not for the lowering springs. It seems like generic data or something. Why the hell would they list a tender spring if it's not even part of the package?

the 520 is like an 9k spring. The 291 is a 5.2k spring. The front seems pretty damn stiff for a lowering spring. You WILL NOT be able to use these on stock shocks. I dont think those numbers on the website are accurate, though. I'd call skunk2 and ask a tech in person to make sure that the numbers are accurate.

My friend has the skunk2 springs on his civic and they ride awesome. It's definately not a 9k/5k combo, though. I can tell you that much. It doesn't feel even close to that. Maybe like a 5k/4k or a 6k/5k combo is what it feels like to me.

I have to ask, though. Why is it that you dont want to get GC coilovers? Are you going to say "because the ride is bouncy"? I dont see the logic.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:39 AM

Default Re: skunk 2 springs (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well, you're not buying tender springs. If you're buying lowering springs, the 520 and 291 seem WAY crazy.

the 520 is like an 9k spring. The 291 is a 5.2k spring. The front seems pretty damn stiff for a lowering spring. You WILL NOT be able to use these on stock shocks. I dont think those numbers on the website are accurate, though. I'd call skunk2 and ask a tech in person to make sure that the numbers are accurate.

I have to ask, though. Why is it that you dont want to get GC coilovers?</TD></TR></TABLE>

first off price, i know they are good quality and everything. maybe when i start my new job ill be able to afford them. but for right now, these were all i could afford, and i have them sitting in the box still. i may be able to sell them to one of my friends, along with my 18" rims, im sure for 600, i could get a decent setup, then just keep my stock SI rims on the drop. i just dont want adjustable at this stage of my build. i know that i would be always tinkering with the settings, and would always be needing tires or an alignment.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:01 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Frickr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

first off price, i know they are good quality and everything. maybe when i start my new job ill be able to afford them. but for right now, these were all i could afford, and i have them sitting in the box still. i may be able to sell them to one of my friends, along with my 18" rims, im sure for 600, i could get a decent setup, then just keep my stock SI rims on the drop. i just dont want adjustable at this stage of my build. i know that i would be always tinkering with the settings, and would always be needing tires or an alignment. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Dont get me wrong, the skunk2 springs are good. The GCs are a ton better, however. They're about $200 more. CMON!! $200?? Sell some semen or blood or something.

If you buy a lifetime alignment, you just go back and have them touch it up when you mess with your settings.

Either way, what's done is done. Since there's really no tracks in or around North dakota, the springs will be just fine. They are nice springs.

You're going to need shocks. If you use your stock shocks, you will blow them. You would be less likely to blow your stock shocks with the GC coilovers because you can set the lowering height to like 1-1.5''. The GCs dont nessesictate the use for aftermarket shocks if you get the OTS spring rates.

Enjoy your new springs, though. I can tell you from personal experience that they are very well made and do make the car handle great.

Make sure that you: Clock your bushings, and get an alignment. You shouldn't need a camber kit unless you're doing a lot of burn outs or something. Just fix the toe. If you're planning on drag racing or doing burn outs, buy the camber kit.

You'll most likely need LCAs as the bolts in the stock LCAs are probably rusted frozen. Buy some nice drill bits so you can drill the broken bolts out of the chassis and trailing arm. A torch helps. Hopefully, your toe setting bolt for the rear moves when they go to align it. Otherwise, you have to cut a little notch in your frame...blah blah blah.

lol sorry. it's the truth, though.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:10 PM

Ill be picking up a set of skunk2 springs and a set of koni's that ill be installing next week. i heard they were good but alos heard they make a small squeek sound but jus a very small one

Quick Reply: skunk 2 springs