Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

is skipping gears bad for tranny

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow some people...were all worried about beating on our cars by skipping gears but when we talk about our track times...we dont care...i uinderstand that your talking about your daily drivers here but when you go to the track and you do run after run after run i think that is alot more harsh on your tranny than skipping 1st to 3rd and since it is our daily drivers were talking about here how much does a used d series tranny cost 300 bucks? but when your beating the **** out of your car at the track you dont care about that itr tranny that cost how much???
Old 08-01-2004, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is skipping gears bad for tranny (egcoupe)

Old 08-01-2004, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (awdturbolaser03)

so you guys are saying if cruise around town skipping my gears, i will hurt my transmission?

like say i start in 1st gear, then go to about 4k rpm. shift it into 2nd gear, then go to about 3.5k rpm. then i shift it into 4th gear, skipping 3rd, that'll mess the transmission up?

or does this only apply to redlining and skipping gears?
Old 08-01-2004, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B2FiNiTY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B2FiNiTY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can not compare that to a honda MANUAL tranny.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

This was for a MANUAL tranny albeit a Chevy one.

It actually resulted in worse mileage in the real world because people tended to give it more gas so you wouldnt get the 1-4 shift.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:52 PM

Default Re: (Mighty)

i normally cruise in 4th around 30 mph, and to get there i go to about 3.5 in 1st and about 3 in 2nd and then go into forth, cause what's the point of hitting 3rd if your not gonna accel in it at all? Either way your gonna end up in 4th gear going the same speed you would've if you woulda gone into 3rd for a split second. Your ECU isn't gonna have an "Error" or "CEL" because you didn't hit 3rd gear.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:10 AM

Default Re: is skipping gears bad for tranny (ABK)

dude... trying not to be a dick... and not to be mean or start a war or anything

but damn man... your an idiot..!!

dude... you keep saying that skipping gears on upshifts would put more wear on your synchros, but where is your evidence to back this up?

also, how is it "FACT" that skipping a gear causes extra wear on the synchros.. (i'm not arguring that it does or doesn't im juss another idiot thats learning) you didn't stat any evidence to back this "FACT" up... All im asking is for an educated explaination instead of yapping your loud ignorant mouth off and claiming something you just pulled out of your *** out is "FACT". This could be misleading to some people soo please stfu until you come back with true facts and explainations.

personally i don't believe it really mattters if you skip a gear... i mean as long as you don't shift hard.. or shift too fast there should be minimal wear (speaking outta my ***) just my 2cents.

oh yeah and if your soo fawken **** about minimal wear on your tranny then why bother shifting at all?? OH NO!!! you might wear your synchros down and lose 1 extra foot in your trannys life!

if your soo **** just double clutch..

have a nice day
Old 08-02-2004, 04:04 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: is skipping gears bad for tranny (LazyNip)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LazyNip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude... you keep saying that skipping gears on upshifts would put more wear on your synchros, but where is your evidence to back this up?</TD></TR></TABLE>
How about all of the threads you can search up for yourself on the topic of bad synchronizers resulting from skipping gears?

I suggest you apologize for calling him an idiot, because it's only making you look the fool in this case.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also, how is it "FACT" that skipping a gear causes extra wear on the synchros..</TD></TR></TABLE>
Because they will have to deal with a larger rotational speed difference between the shafts than if you were to select each gear. The fact is, you need a stronger synchronizer to deal with the larger RPM gap. This is why gears that are naturally subjected to a larger speed difference due to a bigger gap in the gear ratios (such as 2nd and 3rd gears) usually have double or triple synchronizers in many cars.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">personally i don't believe it really mattters if you skip a gear... i mean as long as you don't shift hard.. or shift too fast there should be minimal wear (speaking outta my ***) just my 2cents.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Now didn't you just say that a person should back up their statements with evidence? Keep your words to yourself if you don't know. This topic isn't a matter of opinion, nobody is asking for an opinion. The man wants fact.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if your soo **** just double clutch..</TD></TR></TABLE>
Double clutching is for downshifting.

Apparently, someone hasn't experienced the joy of Honda manual transmission synchronizers yet . . .
Old 08-02-2004, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: is skipping gears bad for tranny (egcoupe)

yes, your synchros will get all messed up. go with the flow. not against the grain. you should have bought an automatic if this worries you so much.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i also would like to see some evidence behind these "FACTS" i have NEVER had a problem with skipping a shift, i go 2nd to 4th ALL the time. and if tall gears are so bad, and the HF transmission is so old and brittle..why do i still see them around all of the time, they have to have at least 150k on em and still running strong...

and this bs about your synchros lining up to skip a shift bla bla bla, usually you can feel it in the shift if its too hard to shift, maybe its for a reason (somethings not lining up), back off and go into the proper gear for the speed you're traveling.

and as i have stated this before, i have owned 3 hondas, drove them all in the same manor and have NEVER had a tranny problem due to skipping shifts or downshifting.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: is skipping gears bad for tranny (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Double clutching is for downshifting.

Apparently, someone hasn't experienced the joy of Honda manual transmission synchronizers yet . . .</TD></TR></TABLE>

you can also double clutch to upshift... its how people drove smoothly before the days of synchronizers. i do skip gears when i upshift, esp since i've been driving my bro's 6sp for a while. there are too many gears to go thru. i often do the 1-2-4. why? there's no need to accelerate faster than 30mph here in urban traffic. i dont see how i can damage the synchronizers if i let the revs drop (basically rev-match upu shifting) before i put the tranny into 4th gear
Old 08-02-2004, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (meccA's eg6)

How about it's ok on the tranny if you do this:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by meccA’s eg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

maybe you redlined 1st to cause you had to beat the guy next to u to merge...and after u redlined u just wanted to cruise in third...and u dont want it in 2nd gear cause teh revs will still be high so you throw it into 3rd</TD></TR></TABLE>

But would be bad on the tranny if you did this during a WOT run?

??
Old 08-02-2004, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

omg ppl drive how you want just use your clutch....do you ppl really need honda-tech to tell you how to drive even iff you found out it was bad for it most of you wouldnt change how you drive...and dont post FACTS unless you have PROOF
Old 08-02-2004, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (quik sol)

Here are two service news prints published by honda on this subject:

Sept 99:
Don’t Skip Gears When
Shifting
Recently, an Internet newsgroup message reported
that it’s OK to skip gears when shifting a manual
transmission. Here’s our response:
Vehicles with manual transmissions should
be shifted through their gears in sequence.
Repeatedly shifting out of sequence, such
as going 2nd to 5th, especially when speed
shifting or power shifting, can cause
accelerated syncro wear which can lead to
gear grinding. To avoid possible problems,
tell your customers not to skip gears and
not to speed shift or power shift.

And another
March 2004:
Regardless of what’s commonly thought, skip
shifting is punishing to an M/T. Those flicks of the
gearshift from 2nd to 5th gear or from 3rd to 5th
gear can speed up synchro wear, leading to some
nasty gear grinding over time. To avoid problems,
and to prolong the M/T’s service life, advise your
customers to shift through the gears in sequence
(by the numbers), and don’t speed shift or power
shift.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Proof enough, I can print and mail them to you if you like?
Old 08-02-2004, 06:52 PM
eL
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"You suckas got SERVED" lol.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow...I do that everyday on almost every acceleration and my tranny is fine....HMMM
Old 08-02-2004, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok..so a honda service report calls for bs blah blah listen to honda everybody, but when somebody follows the service advice for 10k oil changes flame on him for doing them correctly, and not every 1500 miles.

you suck because you dont skip shifts
Old 08-02-2004, 08:33 PM
eL
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Who the hell does 1500miles?
Old 08-02-2004, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

fine..every 3k miles..its still 7k less than what honda recomends thats beyond the point, multiple people have told this guy they havent had a problem with skipping shifts, if you dont have something relevant or helpful to post then stay quiet.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:43 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: (2thousandcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2thousandcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">fine..every 3k miles..its still 7k less than what honda recomends thats beyond the point, multiple people have told this guy they havent had a problem with skipping shifts, if you dont have something relevant or helpful to post then stay quiet.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Apparently you've never actually read the owners' manual, researched oil studies and tests, or even had an oil analysis done.

Don't change the subject, and don't put words in everyone's mouth. Just quit while you're behind.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Targa250R)

dude..whatever, im not here to try to start **** read my previous post as i stated that was beyond the point (hence not trying to change the subject)

Modified by 2thousandcivic at 8:13 AM 8/3/2004
Old 08-03-2004, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2thousandcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BullJ07 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">especially when speed
shifting or power shifting
, CAN cause
accelerated syncro wear which CAN lead to
gear grinding. To avoid possible problems,
tell your customers not to skip gears and
not to speed shift or power shift.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

what has everybody said...its not the bad just as long as your not shifting fast...aka power or speed shifting... drive how you want if your question was. Is it bad...I think the answer is it CAN be obliously its not really all that terrible or you would read about it on here all the time....."skipped to many gears, now i need new syncros" if you skip from first to third slowly your not going to do anymore damage then you would if you were to do one run at the drag strip....and 2thousandcivic wasnt changing the subject he was showing you another example you dont need to try to make him look like an idiot... because your only making yourself look like one.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be more worried about missing a gear and grinding than simply skipping gears.

I typically always go from 2nd to 4th then 5th. I recently threw in a 4.785 final drive in my tranny. I inspected everything, mainly syncros. They looked perfect. Hardly any wear was on them.

Syncros take the abuse, so your gears don't have to.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (eL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eL &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Honestly, I've never really HAD TO redline first, not unless I was... lets say... driving like a jackass.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

when you have a dx motor you have to do such things just to pass up another car
Old 08-03-2004, 09:55 AM

Default Re: (meccA's eg6)

indeed, or how about a cx

if im cruisin on the highway, say 75 in 5th, if for any reason i have to downshift to catch up to something i bounce that needle catch it high,brop in 3rd pull to 115mph.

never really tried to skip shifting up. i just tap that gear for a 1/4 sec and go to the next.

it prolly will end up saving time on shifts too. 2-4, is up,over,down and pray not to hit reverse. 2-3-4 is up-down. If your racing, that lower gear is going to pull harder anyway as well as easing the wear on the trans. maybe this is only because i got a poopy cx tranny with crappy ratios;my crap would prolly bog out going 2-5 who drives like a grandma anyway? Keep it pullin'!

Modified by whitelightnin at 4:17 PM 8/3/2004

Quick Reply: is skipping gears bad for tranny