Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Single cam Adjustable tweak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Single cam Adjustable tweak?

I heard somepeople saying that you can squeeze horsepower out of the stock motor if you tweak with its cam gear timing relationship to piston crank gear.

I'm kinda new and is it possible if u advance the timing or retard the timing and then adjust base timing? Which way can u add more power?

How does that work? is legit that u can even make some power in a single cam by doing that?

Or does it make it worse whats the disadvantages/advantages in advancing the cam gear and retarding the cam gear?

-My friend adjusted his to camgear to retard timing by couple of degrees and then adjusted the base timing. Also a guy at a shop told me that retard timing u can provide horsepower. IDK?

Please what is the best also what is a good combo for adjustable timing gears Pulley etc. Whats the best way to do it for power?
Old 05-10-2009, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Single cam Adjustable tweak?

Yes, you can with an adjustable cam gear. What most people do is install the gear and either set it to 0, or they adjust the timing sort of randomly. Either way, it's freaking stupid. On a stock engine, the timing is set best, right where Honda set it. When you get an aggressive aftermarket camshaft, or go for a forced induction setup, it might be necessary to adjust the gear for maximum power. But any changes should be made on a dyno by someone who knows what they are doing, so you can actually see the physical changes being made.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:30 PM

you can adjust your ignition timing by twisting the dizzy, helped me fix my missing problem, but its a very small range of adjustment (and for a good reason). should only be used for adjusting to fix a problem like mine. otherwise, like civicspoon said, should only be done by someone at a shop who knows what their doing.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Setting the cam timing in advance will move the powerband to the lower rpms.
Retarding cam timing will move the powerband to the upper rpms.

Either way, you have to re-adjust ignition timing adjustments for any cam timing adjustments.

Typically with a stock sohc cam, you get the most noticeable acceleration improvement when you advance the cam by a degree or two.

just my .02
Old 05-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DocHudson
Setting the cam timing in advance will move the powerband to the lower rpms.
Retarding cam timing will move the powerband to the upper rpms.

Either way, you have to re-adjust ignition timing adjustments for any cam timing adjustments.

Typically with a stock sohc cam, you get the most noticeable acceleration improvement when you advance the cam by a degree or two.

just my .02

So advancing the cam better acceleration thanks and thanks yall