Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

simple question- battery relocation

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default simple question- battery relocation

is there a specific type of battery to use? ive heard some can leak juice all over your trunk. ive also heard its fine to throw whatever battery you got in the back. i dont wanna spend $150+ on an optima or dry cell if the one i have is fine

the battery i run now is 2 years old, previous owner put in right befor ei bought the car. ive had the occasional times where i leave my lights on, etc. but its always been reliable. not sure the brand name, theirs a plastic cover over it.

recently bought:
battery box [from tractor supply company]
15 ft 2 ga wire
2 way fused distribution block
2 ga battery terminal end
28in 2ga ground wire w/ terminal end

anything i missed or input on the battery thing is appreciated. thanks!
Old 04-13-2010, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: simple question- battery relocation

Originally Posted by civics4lyfe
is there a specific type of battery to use? ive heard some can leak juice all over your trunk. ive also heard its fine to throw whatever battery you got in the back. i dont wanna spend $150+ on an optima or dry cell if the one i have is fine

the battery i run now is 2 years old, previous owner put in right befor ei bought the car. ive had the occasional times where i leave my lights on, etc. but its always been reliable. not sure the brand name, theirs a plastic cover over it.

recently bought:
battery box [from tractor supply company]
15 ft 2 ga wire
2 way fused distribution block
2 ga battery terminal end
28in 2ga ground wire w/ terminal end

anything i missed or input on the battery thing is appreciated. thanks!
use a dry cell battery. you will be much happier. guys doing the cheap builds use their old battery and get battery fluid all over their trunk and then theyre pissed. i use odyssey batteries. they have more lead plates in them and use a higher lead content in the plates. its 99.99 percent pure lead mimed in missouri. no recycled crap. and they have a 10 year warranty or longer in some casses. never had a problem with them. had em in my boats when i had boats and all my cars have em. but use a dry cell battery
Old 04-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

whats the minimum CCA for a car? i dont want a tiny motorcycle or audio battery that'll always need jumped...

Last edited by civics4lyfe; 04-14-2010 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone?
Old 04-14-2010, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

whats the minimum CCA for a car? i dont want a tiny motorcycle or audio battery that'll always need jumped...
all models are slightly different for each model. youre ok if you look up the CCA on the specs if you look up the battery you need on autozones website. they actually are usually more than the minimum but thats ok. for example the minimum CCA on one of my cars is 405 by factory specs but autozone battery models for my car list the CCA at 550-700 depending on the battery model. same with the odyssey battery. i think its a 550 CCA in that car i'm talking about in this example. (all 5 of my cars have odyssey batteries)
Old 04-14-2010, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, my local autozone tried to sell me and optima battery.
26 pounds
450 cold cranking amps
$170

after researching, i found a "Odyssey PC680t"
15 pounds
680 cold cranking amps for 5 sec
525 cold cranking amps for 20 sec
$115 [+10 shipping]

anyone using an odyssey battery? before i go spending 125 bucks, i just wanna make sure im getting the right thing. i think ill get a fabricated battery mount bracket, instead of using the big ugly Tractor Supply box.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

to answer your ?? on the minimum you would have to post you year make and model and engine here. if you have a motor swap or ecu swap then you wouldnt get the exact spec you need. for that we would need all that info too and just use the specs for the car the motor and ecu came from
Old 04-14-2010, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RICKSAUTOMOTIVE
all models are slightly different for each model. youre ok if you look up the CCA on the specs if you look up the battery you need on autozones website. they actually are usually more than the minimum but thats ok. for example the minimum CCA on one of my cars is 405 by factory specs but autozone battery models for my car list the CCA at 550-700 depending on the battery model. same with the odyssey battery. i think its a 550 CCA in that car i'm talking about in this example. (all 5 of my cars have odyssey batteries)
any idea on odyssey batteries lifetime?
Old 04-14-2010, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

95 civic ex
d16z6 motor

planning on a b18c swap next summer, but im doing a few things to her now, before college. im waiting til after, for the swap
Old 04-14-2010, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

any idea on odyssey batteries lifetime?
8-10 years. some have a 12 year. these are the warranties but they have never went out on me. i had em in my boats...that was 6 batteries total. 4 in one boat and 2 in the other boat. i used to just put battery tenders on them once a month durring the winter. we used the boats 2-4 times a month in the summer so we didnt need tenders. my cars have not gotten battery issues. i think the oldest battery is 3 years old now. out of the car batteries...um i know that the quality of the materials is a whole lot better in the odyssey batteries. they use 99.99 percent pure lead (no recycled lead) and they have over twice the lead plate surface area in them. bottom line is they are a whole lot better. i'm actualy a dealer for odyssey batteries but since youre in PA go through you local dealer. odyssey also has battery boxes..but theyre just a basic kinda box like you can get from summit racing. plastic. i have not had to replace any batteries i have sold either so all my customers are happy with the odyssey batteries. go with an odyseey. you wont be wasting money
Old 04-14-2010, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well the price i got was quoted off an ebay seller, so im assuming that means no warranty? i guess ill start my search tomorrow for a local seller that can warranty it.