Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SIlly vtec question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIlly vtec question

Hey, would you feel vtec hit at all in a Hx, because i dont feel anything and i am not sure exactly when it hits, if anyone know because i tried google it and searching but i keep getting mixed answers, well I am asking because i always wondered if it is even going off at all i dont have any codes throwing, but i hope someone with a hx might be able to help sorry for the silly question.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:49 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your VTEC works differently than the typical system.

In a standard system, there is two sets of lobes, one of which spins freely before VTEC engages. After various signals from the ECU allow it (specific RPM, oil pressure, speed, etc), a pin slides into place allowing the first lobe to spin freely and the second, higher profile lobe to be locked into place.

In VTEC-E, there is only one lobe, and before VTEC engages, it is spinning freely, thus the vehicle is running on three valves instead of four. This is called a 'lean burn swirl' because of the twister effect created in intake manifold and cylinder. The air:fuel ratios are higher in this mode, and gas mileage is improved.

Once VTEC-E engages, the single lobe that would control the 4th valve is locked into place, and the engine operates on a profile similar to a SOHC non-VTEC engine.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:50 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Right, so like Eran said, your car doesn't have normal VTEC. Your car has VTEC-E.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:01 AM

So I would not feel it at all, well i been getting bad gas mileage and its suppose to be a super Eco car, i just got a full tune up Ngk everything, oil is always changed, no codes, but crap gas mileage, i dont have heavy foot, you just cant have one in new york, anways is there anything else i could check maybe the gas filter, the car does have 130 k on it so i guess i just expect it to have not such crap gas mileage as it suppose to, but its starting to **** me off and i am wondering what i could do to fix it if there is anything at all.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:03 AM
HT White Ops

Have you tried pulling your codes, instead of just looking to see if you have a CEL?
Old 10-19-2007, 01:14 AM

Well yea i dont know what you mean by pulling the codes sorry i am still a newbie in some subjects.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:15 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (Historyg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Historyg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well yea i dont know what you mean by pulling the codes sorry i am still a newbie in some subjects.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hooking up a code reader and checking for stored codes.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:30 AM

Default Re: (Eran)

yeah you should be getting pretty good....i get like 35 or so in mixed driving....and you should be able to feel a little tiny kick at 2800 when the other vavles open fully....which isnt really vtec....its basically going from gas mode to normal sohc mode....try changing your cap and rotor...
Old 10-19-2007, 10:07 AM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (spray_bombed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spray_bombed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah you should be getting pretty good....i get like 35 or so in mixed driving....and you should be able to feel a little tiny kick at 2800 when the other vavles open fully....which isnt really vtec....its basically going from gas mode to normal sohc mode....try changing your cap and rotor...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Normal SOHC mode IS gas mode. Sorry, but that was a horrible way of explaining it.

Oh, and I have an EX with SOHC VTEC and I don't even feel it "kick" when it hits real VTEC.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:07 PM

Default Re: (NOFX)

yeah its not really a kick of power but you *can* feel something switch over....not like a kick of power....Normal SOHC mode IS gas mode...and no **** but the d16y5 is built to get the best mpgs....and congrats on your your (real) vtec sucking ****
Old 10-20-2007, 04:29 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spray_bombed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah its not really a kick of power but you *can* feel something switch over....not like a kick of power....Normal SOHC mode IS gas mode...and no **** but the d16y5 is built to get the best mpgs....and congrats on your your (real) vtec sucking ****</TD></TR></TABLE>
LOL

Are you seriously pissed that my car has "real VTEC"? Dude, get over it. I'm not insulting Y5s. I'm trying to help the OP distinguish between the two. This thread is not about you.

You can go suck a dick. If you want to know about me and sucking ****, why don't you go ask Eran about it. I'm a girl. Your insult = fail. Insulting a girl because you have VTEC envy = fail.

And I'll say again, even with my real VTEC (that isn't just for gas mileage), my Y8 doesn't feel any different. It sounds a little different if you listen. But you're going to need the A/C and radio off to hear it.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:36 PM

real vtec is doch vtec....you only have vtec on the intake valves =failed comeback .....and i didnt say you sucked ****...just your car
Old 10-20-2007, 04:38 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spray_bombed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">real vtec is doch vtec....you only have vtec on the intake valves .....and i didnt say you sucked ****...just your car </TD></TR></TABLE>
WTF is wrong with you?

My car has real VTEC too. Your car has VTEC-E. Mine is straight up VTEC. What's the big deal?

Are you really angry that I called VTEC "real VTEC?"

I don't even like the VTEC my car has.

Modified by NOFX at 5:57 PM 10/20/2007
Old 10-20-2007, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What the hell is going on here? Reported for being stupid.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spray_bombed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">real vtec is doch vtec....</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-20-2007, 04:45 PM

nah i was just saying that you only have vtec on the intake side not the exhaust....plus i worked all day and am bored and tired and felt like being a dick .....
Old 10-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, you're still reported, sorry dude. Shouldn't be a dick, and admit that you felt like being a dick on Honda-Tech for no reason.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:50 PM

Default Re: (BlackoutVTi)

and being reported will do.....?
Old 10-20-2007, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, it'll get ya banned if you don't learn...good luck in life, im out.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:57 PM

later on'
Old 10-20-2007, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my 97 hx 5 sp gets a small"kick"(well more of just a different sound, but I can notice a small amount of more power) at about 3000. I get right around 37 with mixed driving. I can get 40 if I drive like grampa, and I got two tanks of 42 something right after I cleaned out the egr plenum(it was plugged and throughing cels of random missfire). The worst I got was 32.4 when I had the egr solinoid unhooked to stop the missfire until I could fix it. I also was driving it hard because I had just got the car. What gas milage are you getting?
later,
robert
Old 10-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NOFX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
LOL

Are you seriously pissed that my car has "real VTEC"? Dude, get over it. I'm not insulting Y5s. I'm trying to help the OP distinguish between the two. This thread is not about you.

You can go suck a dick. If you want to know about me and sucking ****, why don't you go ask Eran about it. I'm a girl. Your insult = fail. Insulting a girl because you have VTEC envy = fail.

And I'll say again, even with my real VTEC (that isn't just for gas mileage), my Y8 doesn't feel any different. It sounds a little different if you listen. But you're going to need the A/C and radio off to hear it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL.... NOFX you effin rock!!!
Old 10-20-2007, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Where does this idea come from that stock VTEC motors have "kick"? You think that Honda could market such an engine to masses if it felt like a turbo motor with nightmarish boost threshold? I have DOHC VTEC, or "real VTEC" if it pleases anyone, and there is no kick at all! You can here the exhaust tone change but the accelleration is just a smooth increase throughout the RPM range.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:41 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (Hardedge)

Let's all remember what ... that one newb once said. "VTEC is like a turbo."

Damn, I really wish I could remember where I read that.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Hardedge)

While I agree that VTEC envy isn't fail - I also have enough brains to recognize that VTEC envy is sometimes overstressed...quite often actually.

That's just my opinion though.

I also believe that Eran and NOFX's oral escapades have no room in this forum.

@ OP:

No, the HX uses VTEC-E which is economical VTEC - it uses a rocker lock mechanism like VTEC to only use 8v before a certain RPM (2XXX I think).

You WON'T feel the crossover. Don't expect a "jerk" or anything like that, even with regular VTEC on a SOHC it's more of a sound issue.

This topic should be closed...

Old 10-20-2007, 08:52 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">While I agree that VTEC envy isn't fail - I also have enough brains to recognize that VTEC envy is sometimes overstressed...quite often actually.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Not sure what this means. Grammar is all weird.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I also believe that Eran and NOFX's oral escapades have no room in this forum.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Exactly what I thought, but apparently someone else believed otherwise.

Quick Reply: SIlly vtec question