Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Sigh.. No Speedometer No vtec No Rpm, dim headlight, no stereo... died!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sigh.. No Speedometer No vtec No Rpm, dim headlight, no stereo... died!

car started off with 0 speedo and never moves...
no vtec...
headlight dimmed really low, cluster light was really low, stereo died
got home, popped the hood, the battery tie down was gone (freemoving battery)
checked wire, checked fuse (everything seems good to me)
start it up again, headlight on = no rpm, headlight off = yes rpm
drove around a block, during idle with AC turned off rpm flutuate between 1000-1500 (Headlight turned off, that's y i can see RPM)
AC turn on, doesnt fluctuate, but idles at 1300, (normally 800)
drove back home, engine stalled, completely died...
10 secs later, my lil alarm light in front of cluster started blinking crazy fast (like 6-8 blinks in 3 secs), it lasted for around 5 secs, then the alarm started to go off LOUD!! i pressed the button to calm down the alarm, it just keeps on going off loud, so i had to disconnect the battery..

May i know What happened to my 99 Civic EX (SIRII swaped)?
i did a search and read 100+ posts about no speedo, but non off them had the exact same problem as i am having... i checked the fuses and followed thru wires...
Old 09-24-2004, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Sigh.. No Speedometer No vtec No Rpm, dim headlight, no stereo... died! (Naturally Aspirated)

Sounds like a bad ground wire. Check the wire from the battery to the chassis and to the underhood fuse box. If that's not it, check the trani and engine ground wires. If that's not it, make sure the alternator is hooked up. If so, take it off and have it bench-tested at autozone or something. Voltage regulator may be blatto
Old 09-24-2004, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Sigh.. No Speedometer No vtec No Rpm, dim headlight, no stereo... died! (Naturally Aspirated)

A couple things it might be.

One your Batt or Alt. could be going dead.

Another thing might be grounds like said above (but i really doubt grounds would do that)

Your alarm might be ******* up, or was installed wrong (common mistake)

You installed something that was installed wrong and some wires were cross.

Im leaning towards the first and alarm on i said. So check those out.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:47 AM

Default Re: Sigh.. No Speedometer No vtec No Rpm, dim headlight, no stereo... died! (Luserkid)

but i had the alarm for a year, and some did my alarm back then...
Old 09-24-2004, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Sigh.. No Speedometer No vtec No Rpm, dim headlight, no stereo... died! (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A couple things it might be.

One your Batt or Alt. could be going dead.

Another thing might be grounds like said above (but i really doubt grounds would do that)
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm guessing ground.

Look at it this way. Your VSS isn't going to work if you don't have a good ground. Your gauges do some WACKY things if they don't have ground (i know, a friend of mine on the EF forum spent MONTHS trying to figure out why his tach went wacky all the time).

Some alarms are designed to complain if they see power getting low, or if the signal becomes corrupted in any way.

And he has a swap, which people are notorious for not cleaning up ground wires and not torquing things down correctly (or not even hooking them up at all) and ending up with wierdo ground issues.

But yeah, could be battery or Alternator too. I like to start with the easy checks.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:37 AM

Default Re: Sigh.. No Speedometer No vtec No Rpm, dim headlight, no stereo... died! (project_mercy)

So if put put it short, Check Ground Wires, Check Battery and Alternator...

Can you guys please tell me where to locate the engine ground wires?

I only know that they are around the tranny somewhere, but dunno which one...
Old 09-24-2004, 11:47 AM

I'm a 4th/5th gen person, so I can only tell you where they are on those. I assume they're functionally close. I'm sure someone will correct me.

There's a bunch of grounds, but there's only 3 which are astoundingly important to you in this case. They're generally big phat wires (cept the engine one) covered in a black shell.

One is the trani ground. It runs from the top front of the trani (by the mount) to the right side frame rail of the car. Usually by "check ground" you can jiggle it, but I prefer to take it off, check for corrosion (up here in the north it can corrode between the two and destroy the connection, requiring you to steel wool the two or something and slap it back with some dielectric grease).

Second would be the engine ground, it runs from the valve cover to your front radiator support. It's pretty obvious

Third would be the battery ground. Runs about 7" from the battery to the chassis and grounds it to the chassis.

Edit: thought of a 4th one to check. It's screwed onto your thermostat housing. Look where the two radiator hoses head back to the engine. There's a phat clip with two wires bolted to the housing.

Modified by project_mercy at 2:59 PM 9/24/2004
Old 09-24-2004, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sigh.. No Speedometer No vtec No Rpm, dim headlight, no stereo... died! (project_mercy)

same **** happened to me. there is a wire that runs under your IM bracket. Check to see if it is rubbing. Also check your speedo sensor fuse. I guaronteee that it is
bl()wn. its a single black wire. runs fron teh VSS to the main harness.