Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Si vs EX front/rear sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Si vs EX front/rear sway bar

I searched on this and didn't find a straight answer. Has anyone put the 26mm Si front sway bar on their EX (stock 22mm). I'm talking 99-00. How about the rear 15mm? Would this be a worthy conversion?
Old 07-07-2003, 05:10 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Si vs EX front/rear sway bar (99civic_exSB)

if you like understeer.. then yeah
Old 07-07-2003, 05:13 PM
New User

Default Re: Si vs EX front/rear sway bar (Tad)

rear si sway bar is 13mm. the rear bars on an integra's are 14mm type R 22mm
jdm 23mm.

im getting the front si sway bar and a rear type R, good combo.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Si vs EX front/rear sway bar (Mr. Choi)

To get the front 99-00 Si swaybar, you'll also need to get the Si LCAs and forks. The EX doesn't have a rear swaybar. Only get the Civic Si front swaybar setup if you plan to get a rear swaybar.

I currently have the 22 mm Civic EX front swaybar and the 13 mm Civic Si rear swaybar. It's a nice inexpensive setup. I am thinking about switching to the 26 mm Civic Si front swaybar along with an 18 or 20 mm Mugen rear swaybar.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Si vs EX front/rear sway bar (EricUSC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EricUSC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I currently have the 22 mm Civic EX front swaybar and the 13 mm Civic Si rear swaybar. It's a nice inexpensive setup. I am thinking about switching to the 26 mm Civic Si front swaybar along with an 18 or 20 mm Mugen rear swaybar.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am in exactly the same boat. However for the time being, the 22mm front w/13mm rear is a good setup for the daily driver.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:21 PM

Default Re: Si vs EX front/rear sway bar (kommon_sense)

I have a 25mm suspension tech front sway with the comtech 22mm rear sway brace combo. I think the 22mm front sway bar is just too small if you have a 19mm and up rear swaybar. You have to have a balance, too much of oversteer or understeer is bad.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:21 PM
Moe

Default Re: Si vs EX front/rear sway bar (EricUSC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EricUSC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To get the front 99-00 Si swaybar, you'll also need to get the Si LCAs and forks. The EX doesn't have a rear swaybar. Only get the Civic Si front swaybar setup if you plan to get a rear swaybar.

I currently have the 22 mm Civic EX front swaybar and the 13 mm Civic Si rear swaybar. It's a nice inexpensive setup. I am thinking about switching to the 26 mm Civic Si front swaybar along with an 18 or 20 mm Mugen rear swaybar.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, yes yes...
Old 07-07-2003, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no offense, but why on a front wheel drive car would you want a front sway bar that is larger than the rear bar.

rodney, aka suspension genious on this site, along with a bunch of guys i know who auto-x honda's prefer a large rear sway and small front sway....and this setup has also worked incredibly well for me.

i would just use a 22mm or larger rear sway w/ good springs/shocks all the way around....plus i'd make the rear springs stiffer than the front...

that way the car won't push like fwd cars tend to do under hard cornering.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Si vs EX front/rear sway bar (chet)

That's what my shop recommended, too. (Most of them are hardcore auto-x'ers.) I decided to keep my stock front and add on a rear Progress 22 mm anti-sway bar. The car does get a little squirrely sometimes with the car wanting to oversteer a little, but it's overall a fairly balanced setup that feels comfortable for my sub-beginner skills. I'm pleased with it.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Si vs EX front/rear sway bar (Daniel)

i too use the 22mm progress bar.

i think its the best setup for the price...and i like the way its adjustable and how it bolts up using factory mounting points...and the outer lca main bolt.

the pissing dog!

Old 07-07-2003, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

on my EG civic ive got gsr front lca's with the gsr 23mm sway bar, on the rear ive got itr lca's with itr 22mm sway bar. it handels great, but i would like the end to rotate a little more. what could i change to help the rear step out more? i heard if you run 1/16th toe out that helps. anything else? smaller front bar?
Old 07-07-2003, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Si vs EX front/rear sway bar (Downey)

just take the front bar off...and get stiffer springs all the way around.

550 rear, 450 front would be a nice setup for the street...
Old 07-07-2003, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive got Tein HA coilovers for an ITR. Front is 448 and rear is 336

if i took the front bar off.. would it handel like ****? wouldnt the front push?
Old 07-07-2003, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do you think id like the feel of a stock 92-95 civic ex (22mm) front sway bar with a US 22 or JDM 23mm rear better than my GSR 24mm front and 22mm rear?
Old 07-08-2003, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the front sway bar is only going to encourage push. our honda's are front engine, front wheel drive and so its really important to have a stiff rear setup with stiffer springs in the rear. now some people like a small 21mm front sway bar although i like how my car turns without it...and i compenstate for the additional body roll with slightly stiffer springs. it is all unique to your car...however i'd encourage you to try your setup withuot the front sway bar to see how much better your car turns in.

and it would also make up for the tein springs having a stiffer rate in the front...as the rear sway will help in making the back end sit...and kinda slide around corners.

Old 07-08-2003, 06:18 AM

what about the aem rear sway bar? i didn't even know advanced ENGINE management made sway bars...oh welll.....
Old 07-08-2003, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chet &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no offense, but why on a front wheel drive car would you want a front sway bar that is larger than the rear bar.

rodney, aka suspension genious on this site, along with a bunch of guys i know who auto-x honda's prefer a large rear sway and small front sway....and this setup has also worked incredibly well for me.

i would just use a 22mm or larger rear sway w/ good springs/shocks all the way around....plus i'd make the rear springs stiffer than the front...

that way the car won't push like fwd cars tend to do under hard cornering. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Keep in mind that most people have their civs as a daily driver that sees very little if any type of track time. Understeer is easier to correct than snap oversteer. There is a pic in this thread that shows a guys eg on 3-wheels with a 22mm rear sway. I simply have a 22mm front w/13mm rear and I'm happy with it for a daily driver, although I may move up to a 17-19mm rear bar. Anyways, considering that roads are never perfect, potholes, gravel, dust/rocks, change in pavement, I would hate to hit an exit ramp the wrong way with that 22mm rear setup on 3-wheels...

So little front, big rear may be better for handling, but I don't think that it is the best choice for street.
Old 07-08-2003, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kommon_sense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So little front, big rear may be better for handling, but I don't think that it is the best choice for street.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have had a 19mm rear bar on both an EX and VX (which has no front bar) and never felt like it was dangerously oversteering. I can't imagine how much of a jackass you would need to be, to push it hard enough on the street, to get it to oversteer dangerously. I must also add, that the spring rates I was running on both, were stiffer in front than in the rear.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Si vs EX front/rear sway bar (piscorpio)

Same here. I have a 22f/19r setup and I have never had any problems losing the tail. Keep in mind the only type of oversteer an FF can experience is weight transfer oversteer which means to get the rear to come around you'd need to slam on the brakes while turning at speed. Keep your foot in it and an FF will push no how big that rear bar is.
Old 07-08-2003, 10:35 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Downey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stock 92-95 civic ex (22mm) front sway bar </TD></TR></TABLE>

Who can give me proof that the ex came stock with a 22mm or even a 21mm
front swaybar? It is a 19mm. The eg6 came with a 22mm front swaybar.

If you want to argue about this, Go get your open end wrench and put it on your
swaybar and take a picture. If you don't, and just want to give me your hear say
bullshit I will not take you seriously. I have measured the ex swaybar and I know
that it was a 19mm.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Si vs EX front/rear sway bar (d15dude)

get pissed
Old 07-08-2003, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Si vs EX front/rear sway bar (piscorpio)

I've got a 26mm CTR front sway bar setup and a Comptech 22mm rear sway bar setup on my 99 civic DX. It feels great, and not too much oversteer with the 22mm rear bar. The car feels very neutral, and a lot of body roll has been eliminated.

here's some recent pictures of the rear sway bar installed...

Old 07-08-2003, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you do swap out your front for the Si front, I'll take your control arms and strut bar from your ex! PM me haha
Old 07-08-2003, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (soundbomber)

i have the same setup as Airbag Club. personaly i feel a hint of understeer but overall its very stable. and he's right, bodyroll is virtualy non existant now. btw does anyone with an itr bar + beaks kit have the drop link bushings rattle back there? the left side of mine does and its driving me nuts
Old 07-08-2003, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (snail)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snail &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have the same setup as Airbag Club. personaly i feel a hint of understeer but overall its very stable. and he's right, bodyroll is virtualy non existant now. btw does anyone with an itr bar + beaks kit have the drop link bushings rattle back there? the left side of mine does and its driving me nuts</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea..well i don't notice the understeer, because before i put on the comptech rear setup, i was running the CTR 26mm front sway bar setup for about 4 months. that was incredible understeer, with a 26mm front and no rear, so once i put the rear 22mm sway bar on, it felt a lot more neutral, and willing to turn.

ahhh...so it is normal!!! my comptech endlinks are driving me nuts with knock knock here and a knock knock there!! at first i thought it was installation problems, but later found that it was normal. i see you too have the same problem. anyways, i plan to sell out the comptech sway bar and endlinks, keep the tie bar and get a ITR bar with SI endlinks. hopefully that will eliminate some of the knocking sounds.

Quick Reply: Si vs EX front/rear sway bar