Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Si Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Si Suspension

I drive a 98' ex coupe, and the other night I was driving my friends 00' Si coupe, and I noticed that the steering is about 20 times more responsive? Why is this, is it simply because of the rear sway bar the Si has, or is it an entirely different suspension altogether. I have both front upper and rear upper and lower sway bars in my ex coupe, but it doesn't feel anything like the Si. What can I do to get my car to handle like that?
Old 05-26-2003, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Si Suspension (Ilouisell)

If you wanna make your car handle better, start with a good set of tires and an ITR rear sway bar with the beaks mounting kit. I think you will be quite happy with it.
Old 05-26-2003, 06:14 PM

Well, do you have lower TIE bars, or sway bars is the question. Im thinking that you have tie bars. The tie bars are just like what they say, they are a bar with holes in the end that link the bases of the lower control arm together. This is what swaybars look like Those will greatly improve the handling of you car, where strut/tie bars like these: [IMG]http://www.tuneshops.com/productimages/DC-rear-lower.jpg[IMG] If your lower bars look like picture #2 i would suggest looking into some swaybars. I would suggest coilovers in either situation. . The SI also has higher spring rates which help out aswell. Rick
Old 05-26-2003, 06:16 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ilouisell &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have both front upper and rear upper and lower sway bars in my ex coupe, but it doesn't feel anything like the Si.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok, I dont think you know what you have. Please be more descriptive as to what you have...brands, sway bar sizes? stock or not stock?

please tell me you know the diffrences between sway bars, tie bars and tower bars...it will make it a lot easier for us to guide you in the right direction.
Old 05-26-2003, 06:55 PM

Default Re: Si Suspension (Damon)

Yes I know the differences between all of those. I only have tie bars, 3 of them. They are not brand name, just some I bought off ebay for pretty cheap.
Old 05-26-2003, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What sway bars do you have on your car? What size are they?
Old 05-26-2003, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Si Suspension (96 SOHC VTEC)

He just said he didnt have any swaybars. My suggestion would be to look into some sort of springs or coilovers along with sway bars. Those are the suspension mods that will make a HUGE difference. Rick
Old 05-26-2003, 07:22 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

First off, if you think the EM1 Si has responsive steering, then you need to get out there and start driving better cars. I find that my Si has horribly slow turn in, and a mushy-feeling, slow-ratio steering rack.

Strut tower bars and tie bars don't really do much of anything for handling until you tighten up the suspension enough to need them - they only control chassis flex.

I would suggest starting out with some good tires, then getting some aftermarket springs and adjustable dampers - or a perhaps a full coilover system if you can afford it. Also get yourself some upgraded sway bars (a.k.a. anti-roll bars) to reduce body roll. Generally, upgrading your front sway bar will increase understeer, and upgrading your rear sway bar (or in the case of the Civic EX, adding one) will decrease understeer. Since our Civics are FF understeering pigs, you'll want to use as small of a front sway as you can to still reduce body roll, yet keep understeer to a minimum - and as large a rear sway as you can get away with. Also, an adjustable camber kit is a good idea when upgrading other suspension components and/or "lowering" the car; alignment settings can play a big role in how well your car handles.

My explanation is a bit simplified; suspension and alignment tuning is actually quite a bit more complicated. I'm sure some others here can correct me if I'm off here, and explain suspension tuning in greater detail. You can also search around Honda-Tech for more information.

Also, before you can choose the right components you'll need, you have to have a goal in mind. What do you intend to do with the car? Street driving only? Perhaps some autocross? HPDEs?

If you haven't autocrossed before, I suggest that you get out to a few events and really drive your car. That way you'll get a feel for the way it handles in extreme situations, and you'll find out where and what its weaknesses are - which will help you to improve on them. This will also teach you how to control your car properly during aggressive driving maneuvers.
Old 05-26-2003, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Si Suspension (Targa250R)

Haha, if you think the SI has poor turn in try a 98 DX like im running IT SUCKS! lol. I have coilovers and swaybars, im just wating for some struts so I can have a suspension party and throw it all on. Targa is right on, look around the classifieds and see what suspension components are available (there are TONS) and use the search feature for more info on Sways, coilovers, and springs. Rick
Old 05-26-2003, 09:25 PM

I'll sell you my Si springs and rear sway bar but to get the best performance you'll want something even better than that. ITR rear sway is the best way to go.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:29 PM

try Comptech sway/tiebar combo
you'll love it!
Old 05-27-2003, 07:52 AM

Default Re: Si Suspension (WanTing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WanTing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">try Comptech sway/tiebar combo
you'll love it! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I second that!
Old 05-27-2003, 08:27 AM

Default Help

Please tell me the differences between sway bars, tie bars and tower bars....

Thanks in advance
Old 05-27-2003, 10:36 AM

Default Re: Si Suspension (BagelW)

How much would I pay for an ITR rear sway bar with the mounting kit? Also, how much would you sell me the si rear sway bar for?
Old 05-27-2003, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.beaksproducts.com

$175 for ITR rear sway with reinforcement kit, you'll also need SI endlinks.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:11 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ilouisell &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How much would I pay for an ITR rear sway bar with the mounting kit? Also, how much would you sell me the si rear sway bar for?</TD></TR></TABLE>

For an ITR swaybar, you would need this http://www.beaksproducts.com/ek-quickswap.html which is $175 and you'll need endlinks which are about $40 each (you'll need two so that's $80) So it'll be around $255 to get everything new.

I would probably sell you my Si swaybar around $40 but you would still have to buy the endlinks from Honda. I used mine with the ITR bar. You may also need new brackets because the ones with my Si bar are a little bent up but they would probably still work fine.
Here are all the parts you'll need, illustration numbers 27 - 36. The endlinks are #31 and #32. The brackets are #30. You will probably have to drill to make everything work because I don't think the EX Civics are predrilled.
http://www.hondaautomotivepart...R+ARM
Old 05-27-2003, 07:26 PM

Default Re: Si Suspension (BagelW)

I might have a full SI rear swaybar set up for sale including endlinks if they guy ever comes through with shipping it. I wont need it because I am running a skunk2 21mm swaybar now. Rick
Old 06-01-2003, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Si Suspension (RickChew)

i may be interested in that, can you give me a price?
Old 06-01-2003, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here are the differences in the Si from the EX:

The Si has -

26 mm front sway bar (vs. 22 mm on EX)
Better lower control arms and forks
13 mm rear sway bar (vs. no rear sway bar on EX)
Stiffer dampers/springs

Don't get the Civic Si dampers/springs unless you have a B-Series engine, the Si dampers/springs are made to accomodate the added weight of a B-Series. If you put Civic Si dampers/springs on a non-B-Series Civic, you'll raise your car. Instead, get a good set of aftermarket damper/spring combo or get coilovers.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Si Suspension (EricUSC)

Dont the Ex coupes come with a front swaybar????

Edit : Sorry didnt read the last reply.....