Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Si Ground Controls and KYB's on EK.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Si Ground Controls and KYB's on EK.

During the summer I was supposed to get a '00 B16A2 for my 99 hb, from this local guy. He even gave me the paper work to get notorized and everything so I thought for sure I was getting the engine. So I ordered Si Ground Control coilovers because I wanted the Si spring rate and I also ordered some KYB's. Well the guy backed out and didn't want to sell me the engine. I already had the suspension so I installed it and it really rides like ****, I was so pissed off but then I remembered that I had the Si spring rate on the coilovers and thought maybe that's why it rode like that, because of too much spring rate for the current engine that i have which is a d16. My question is, could this be the reason why my car rides so shitty, because of too much spring rate? Once I get a b-series engine will it ride better? Or is the combo of coilovers and shocks that I got just plain out suck *****?
Thanx in advance.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Si Ground Controls and KYB's on EK. (jdmhatchie)

Good combo, if you set it correctly. I think it all depends on how low you are. DO you have adjustable KYBs?
Old 10-23-2002, 05:53 AM

Default Re: Si Ground Controls and KYB's on EK. (Eddie HatchBlack)

Yes, they are the adj. kyb's and I've even played with the settings but there seems to be no major difference in ride quality.
Old 10-23-2002, 06:56 AM
New User

Not to flame... but what does ride like **** mean?...Does the car not corner well? understeer, oversteer, is it bouncy on bumps, ect....Do you know what the spring rate the springs are? that would help alot. I have KYB/AGX shocks with ground control coil overs on my hatch, I opted for a pretty mild spring rate, about 350/325 becase I drive in snow, and rain. My set up works very well and I'm happy with the setup...now the women folk in the family do complain about the ride on bumpy roads, but hey, it's my car. I also race karts on the weekends, and have to wear a rib protector to keep from breaking ribs in the corners, so a civic feels pretty plush to me.
Old 10-23-2002, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Si Ground Controls and KYB's on EK. (fatoldman7)

I don't know exactly what spring rate it is I just got the ones for the Si because that's the engine I was going to go with, and I know b-series engines are heavier than d-series. I was recomended just to get Si coilovers. My car is not slammed or anything the fender is right above the tire and I have 16in. rotas with 20/45/16 tires. The ride is so bumpy that maxspeeds with stock shocks felt like a better ride than this setup. All I want to know is, is it bumpy because of too much spring rate?
Old 10-23-2002, 12:15 PM
New User

Sounds like the spring rate is to high.
Old 10-23-2002, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Si Ground Controls and KYB's on EK.

what kinda tires are they? what's the current settings?
Old 10-24-2002, 07:16 AM

Default Re: Si Ground Controls and KYB's on EK. (Eddie HatchBlack)

THe tires are nitto nt 450's and I think the front are set to 2 and the back to 4 on the clicker.
Old 10-24-2002, 07:27 AM
New User

spring rates for 92-00 civics (including ex, dx, lx, si's) are all the same. the only way they would be different is if you specifically asked ground control or store you bought them from to have diff. spring rates.
Old 10-24-2002, 12:14 PM

Default Re: Si Ground Controls and KYB's on EK. (EkREV)

I didn't know that, I was told differently. Oh well then they do ride like ****, why? I promise that the arospeed coilovers and tokico blues that my friend has feel like heaven compared to mine and I paid $200 or so more, that blows. What spring rate should I have gone with if I was getting a b-series engine in my car?
Old 10-27-2002, 07:10 PM
New User

I didn't know that, I was told differently. Oh well then they do ride like ****, why? I promise that the arospeed coilovers and tokico blues that my friend has feel like heaven compared to mine and I paid $200 or so more, that blows. What spring rate should I have gone with if I was getting a b-series engine in my car?
usually people buy the integra 94+ kit when dropping a b-series into an eg/ek. but you can call up ground control and they can help you out with what spring rates you can use depending on what sort of driving you do...daily, drag, autocross, etc.