Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SI/CTR sway bar VS sus. tech. sway bar...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SI/CTR sway bar VS sus. tech. sway bar...

i plan to maybe autox...but still have a reliable daily driver...which sway bar would you guys recommend?...sizes?...any experiences or other suggestions?...would a mugen sway bar be worth it?...Thanks in Advance!

[Modified by EKmike, 12:29 AM 4/11/2002]
Old 04-10-2002, 03:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: SI/CTR sway bar VS sus. tech. sway bar... (EKmike)

are you talking front or back or both?
Old 04-10-2002, 03:41 PM

Default Re: SI/CTR sway bar VS sus. tech. sway bar... (tonyxcom)

both...front and rear..
Old 04-10-2002, 03:49 PM
big strong guy

i have suspension tech front and rear sway bars! i like them, though people say they rip out mounting points on lower rear subframe, but i belive they were mounted wrong and thats the reason! i have been very happy with mine and so have people whom have driven or rode in my car, nice price also!! good luck, eric
Old 04-10-2002, 03:52 PM

Default Re: SI/CTR sway bar VS sus. tech. sway bar... (rainmanEK)

yeah very good price...~$215 for front and rear...thats what i liked...i heard a lot of good things too
Old 04-10-2002, 03:57 PM

Im not really fond of the way ST bars mount.
Old 04-10-2002, 03:59 PM

Im not really fond of the way ST bars mount.
anything wrong with them?
Old 04-10-2002, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ST is the way to go

-->unless you already have the LCA's with mount points for OEM swayabrs. If you do not have the right LCA's for OEM sways, you will be adding a lot of cost to the swaybar install.....
Old 04-10-2002, 04:28 PM

Default Re: SI/CTR sway bar VS sus. tech. sway bar... (owen_the_soyboy)

if you have an ek hatch, your lcas have no mounting points for any swaybars. I would go with an dx/ex/lx (coupe/sedan) setup first. All you will need is the swaybar itself (22mm), dbrakets and endlinks and LCAs of any non-si or non hatchback ek.

You can go with the SI/CTR/SIR front setup, but you will need a few more parts and in general the whole setup is pretty hard to come by, mostly because it is superior to the ST setup, but cost more then twice as much.

The rear ST setup is pretty good for the price, but people have damaged their subframes using them.

Im running the CTR front setup and ITR rear setup with Beaks reinforcment kit to protect my rear subframe. I payed as much for the rear setup as the entire ST setup, but it comes with piece of mind.
Old 04-10-2002, 05:23 PM
Trial User

I paid $235 shipped for my Si front sway, control arms, and shock forks. I was pretty happy with the deal.
Old 04-10-2002, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the ST f&r sway bar set... just had them on last week, took it out to the hills to have some fun with them... my car came with a 22mm stock front, so the 25mm front didn't make that great a difference up front, but in the rear the 19mm ST sway made it very nice and balanced... the ST bar attached to the LCA at the same spot that the struts are attached... and i think that's a pretty good place for endlinks as opposed to the middle of the LCA like some other sway bars? but the 19mm might not be enough for you, especially since u upgrade the front to 25mm... it's your choice though... if u have a 22mm up front and a 22mm in the rear you will notice more difference in handling i think... or even if you leave the stock front and put on a 19mm rear that would be good too. just keep in mind that a larger bar in the front will somewhat "cancel out" your rear?

btw i've heard that itr rear sway is mugen rebadged as honda? not sure though do a search or ask around. HTH
Old 04-10-2002, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SI/CTR sway bar VS sus. tech. sway bar... (tFUnK)

ST's are very good for the price. I had to replace the rear with a Comptech unit. The ST finally tore the subframe last year after 1.5 years of daily driving and Auto-x on them.

Had the Comptech setup for over a year now with no problems. ST rear is nice if you don't plan on any hard competition type driving in my opinion.
Old 04-10-2002, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would go with tonyxcom set up . thats what im working on ! . just the front is going to cost twice as much as ST but IMO is worth it ! i was gonna go with the ST set up but i reall y do not like the idea that is not completly bolt on and of course i prefer oem
but im going SI front and i already have the SI rear sway bar (bolt on with no problems) so , practically SI set up

[Modified by Spoon1, 7:05 AM 4/11/2002]
Old 04-11-2002, 03:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey owen..

got a question for you!

in your cx, do you have front & rear sway bars, if so what kind, and what did you use to mount them?
Also you Autopwr roll bar, where does it mount, is it welded or bolted in, is this something u did urself?

love the gs-r sedan of urs, but the cx...man those foglights are too much

vnt
Old 04-11-2002, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SI/CTR sway bar VS sus. tech. sway bar... (vntperformance)

in your cx, do you have front & rear sway bars, if so what kind, and what did you use to mount them?
ST swaybars front and rear, I am putting them in this weekend actually since the weather here is finally a lot nicer (over 35 degrees!)
Also you Autopwr roll bar, where does it mount, is it welded or bolted in, is this something u did urself?
bolts to the floor up against the rear seat floor and also to the wheel wells for the rear. Nice setup, pretty easy to install -- only took me about 20 minutes :0
love the gs-r sedan of urs, but the cx...man those foglights are too much
those lights are off noiw, they were very functional in the winter here that is why I had them, for $160 for all four it was a good deal for that much lighting, the top pair being spots/hibeam and the bottom pair being 180 degree fogs. That was almost as good as the $400+ HID kit on my teg. The only fogs I am gonna go with are oem or oem style for now, the Hellas can be funkt up in a fender bender too easily... dont ask me how I know...
Old 04-11-2002, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a rear ST bar in my CRX. works perfectly and the adjustability factor over a ITR bar is worth the cost.

The bar has survived 3 years of extensive autocrossing and 1.5yrs of road events... still works perfectly.
Old 04-11-2002, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SI/CTR sway bar VS sus. tech. sway bar... (Driven)

I have the Progess Group 22mm setup:

I'm happy with the performance results, but cold on the install. I bought a Beaks kit but couldn't use it because it would bring the pivot point of the bar up too high. Now I wish I had just gotten the ITR setup and replaced the LCA's. Even better, somebody posted an ITR setup with a Beaks Kit and those BEAUTIFUL SSR Aluminum LCA's. Who was that? I love it.

Progress was $190.00, comes with everything you need though. Simple and like I said, I couldn't be happier with the performance.
Old 04-11-2002, 12:57 PM

Default Re: SI/CTR sway bar VS sus. tech. sway bar... (94CivicSi)

That was me with the SRR LCAs. By the looks of your LCA's and subframe, you have an EG, correct? SRR only makes rear LCAs for the EK.

On the EK, the Beaks kit was designed to correctly space the ITR bar away from the subframe. Not sure about this same requirement for EGs. Will at Beaks should have an answer for that.

Also, your Progress Bar is a 22mm, but because of where it mounts to your LCA, it has more leverage and works somewhere closer to a 24-26mm bar if it were using the OEM endlink location.

The ST connects in the same fashion, but is only 19mm, so it should work similar to a 22 bar at the OEM location.
Old 04-11-2002, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

On my 93 Si, it came with stock ones, but I decided to try the ST's cause I got em for a really good price, and I'm extremely happy with them. I'm using skunk2 front/rear upper, rear lower bars, with tokico shocks and Skunk2 fake coil-overs, and my car handles really good now.
Old 04-11-2002, 02:12 PM

Default Re: SI/CTR sway bar VS sus. tech. sway bar... (rodrez)

The EK hatches have NO front sway bar mounts on the front LCAs. So the ST requires some wierdo mounting.
Old 04-11-2002, 03:53 PM
big strong guy

well i just used a integra front lower control arm with my suspension techs setup, and it bolted in factory spot! i am happy
Old 04-07-2004, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SI/CTR sway bar VS sus. tech. sway bar... (tonyXcom)

Im bringing this one back up from wayyy back. So in the rear bar aspect of all of this... do you think the ST would out perform the CTR? So what are you trying to say? that the CTR bar will not fit with the beaks kit? 22mm CTR vs. 19mm ST... is the CTR a solid piece? thanks for the help.