Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

should i use itbs or a turbo on a d16

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i use itbs or a turbo on a d16

I have recently been searching around the net and i simply cant decide on whether its better to put itbs or a turbo kit on a d16.... im just tryin to find the most bang for my buck. also the car is goin to be a daily driver and im just wanting a fun car to drive...... any help?
Old 12-12-2007, 08:23 PM
Banned

Turbo would be your best bang for your buck. Your not going to gain more than 25hp with itb's for a d series (thats tuned of course).
Old 12-12-2007, 08:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TURBO!!!! What would make you think ITB's would even give you 1/2 the power a turbo would?
Old 12-12-2007, 08:30 PM

turbo FTW. on this one at least..
Old 12-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Banned

Default Re: (Bejita)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bejita &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">TURBO!!!! What would make you think ITB's would even give you 1/2 the power a turbo would?</TD></TR></TABLE>
x2
Old 12-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: should i use itbs or a turbo on a d16 (et has phoned home)

The turbo is going to be more friendly to daily driving. ITBs can get complicated...plus you're not looking to gain huge power from a stock D series with just ITBs.

A reliable turbo kit with tuning, etc. etc. will set you back a lot of $$. Dont get fooled into the "$1500 reliable turbo kit" theory. Unless your definition of "reliable" is like Michael Jackson's definiton of "old enough to have sex with".

For all that $$ and trouble....why dont you just buy a B series and swap it in? Reliable, factory assembled, and quick. Not as fast as a turbo D series....but definitely more reliable, and less B.S. to deal with.

The BEST bang for your buck mod for a D series is a B series.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:19 AM

well i found a greddy turbo kit for about 1400... but thats without the intercooler and piping... what would you recommend for the setup i want to run... i would swap to a b series but i drove my friends turboed d series and it was just so much fun to drive. plus it would be something different for me to try since i have helped a lot of my friends swap to a b series. what turbo kit would you guys say is the best for your money, i dont want anything outrageous just something to give it some more power and make a lil go cart haha
Old 12-13-2007, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If I were you I would swap to a b series its a better platform to start with cause you will want to go faster once you get used to how fast it is with the turbo d... dont waste your time with itbs my friend had them, the only way I can describe them is "neat" there kinda like eccentric because not a lot of people have them, but they are not worth what they cost at all! all you really gain is throttle response.... not worth the money...

swap to a b series that way when you want to go faster you can turbo that

if you dont want to spend the money just turbo the d but when you want to go faster your going to have to swap everything out...
Old 12-13-2007, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

most definately a turbo...on a sohc you need all the power you can get!! lol itb's would make a little bit of difference but turbo would be more fun, powerful, and probably cheaper than an all motor setup...it just depends on what kit you get and where you get it from. turbo-
Old 12-13-2007, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by et has phoned home &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i found a greddy turbo kit for about 1400... but thats without the intercooler and piping... what would you recommend for the setup i want to run... i would swap to a b series but i drove my friends turboed d series and it was just so much fun to drive. plus it would be something different for me to try since i have helped a lot of my friends swap to a b series. what turbo kit would you guys say is the best for your money, i dont want anything outrageous just something to give it some more power and make a lil go cart haha</TD></TR></TABLE>

i would go with something name brand..like greddy or turbonetics. but i have heard that the ebay kits are actually good kits. the question is...how much money are you willing to pay for a kit?
Old 12-13-2007, 09:49 AM

id prolly want to spend no more than 2-2.5 on the whole turbo setup... you kno nothing big and eventually i would put cams and change out the internals and stuff. im just trying to get the feel for what setup would be the best
Old 12-13-2007, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

itbs would be nice... but id go with turbo
Old 12-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Swap in a gsr
Old 12-13-2007, 10:03 AM

Default Re: (pearlcfcivic97)

id say you throw the sohc and throw a dohc in it then start to play with that engine
Old 12-13-2007, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pearlcfcivic97)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pearlcfcivic97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Swap in a gsr</TD></TR></TABLE>

i would swap in a gsr as well, being that you want it a DD. Ive had problems with a DD boosted car, but thats me. imo keep it DD d16 just hardpark it.

other sites i recommend for boosted d series if you wanted to.

turbod16.com
dseries.org
Old 12-13-2007, 10:28 AM

im memebers of both of those forums and thats where i fell in love with the idea of a boosted d. im just kinda on the fence now for swappin a b or turboing the d just bc they both will cost about the same. man you guys suck... making me change my mind hahaha if i did go with a b series i would prolly get a vtec ls. are those still god for boosting?
Old 12-13-2007, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

gsr is good for boost, thats why I say swap a gsr it will cost about the same and then you can always turbo it later when you need to go faster
Old 12-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Boost the D...fun and best bang for buck. I've been DDing mine for over a year now and never once has had any major issues. (Knock on wood)
Old 12-13-2007, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and you can sell you d series stuff to get some money back...
Old 12-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by et has phoned home &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im memebers of both of those forums and thats where i fell in love with the idea of a boosted d. im just kinda on the fence now for swappin a b or turboing the d just bc they both will cost about the same. man you guys suck... making me change my mind hahaha if i did go with a b series i would prolly get a vtec ls. are those still god for boosting?</TD></TR></TABLE>

id go with boosted ls.. they are very strong motors and, its alll about the tuning. he ran 20psi dail on that thing, and it lasted for a good while. its still running, but has a different size turbo. t all depends on what numbers you are looking for, your budget, and time frame.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: should i use itbs or a turbo on a d16 (.:Swig:.)

Id go with a turbo D. 5k landed me 412hp.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you don’t want to go with vtec and are considering ls turbo I would also consider b20 turbo my friend had that it had tons of torque and power he auto x with it, very fun to ride in... But if you have plans to make decent power even if it’s in the long run start with a better platform B series... I’m doing my swap now and I want to start with the best platform so I’m going k series its costing more but in the long run will be worth it...
Old 12-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by et has phoned home &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">id prolly want to spend no more than 2-2.5 on the whole turbo setup... you kno nothing big and eventually i would put cams and change out the internals and stuff. im just trying to get the feel for what setup would be the best</TD></TR></TABLE>

Usually, you cant get a reliable turbo kit on there for $2500.

HOWEVER, I guess you're getting a used kit for around $1400. Does that come with the engine management? The inter cooler and piping really isnt that big of a deal. You'll probably make around 200-250whp with that greddy kit. Maybe. If that.

Things to consider:

Clutch
Radiator
Oil cooler (probably a good idea)

Depending on how complete or incomplete that used turbo kit is....it may cost you a lot more or a little more to get it to a point where you want it. Make sure that turbo isn't blown. I never really LOVED mitsubishi turbos. I think the garrett stuff was always the best. I think mitsu saw that too since they used Garrett turbos on MITSUBISHI cars for a while lol.
Old 12-14-2007, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eagle rods - $300
Vitara pistons - $120
OEM HG - $40
Ebay T3/T4 - $180
Oil lines -$100
Ebay cast manifold - $100
Used Tial WG - $150
RFL BOV - $50
Universal i/c piping - $100
Ebay i/c - $100
DSM 440/550s - $100
Clips & resistor box - $20
NGK 2-step colder plugs - $20
Full gasket kit - $50

...this'll get you started on your way to 300+hp! Yes, the Ebay turbo will last a little while; when it does start spiting oil, just send it in for a rebuild.

Good luck!

Old 12-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldnt use and ebay turbo... intercooler and piping why not but not the turbo or manifold

Quick Reply: should i use itbs or a turbo on a d16