Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

should i trade my ek for an EF?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i trade my ek for an EF?

Some one i know has offered me a 91 ef hatch with a build ls/vtec b16 tranny, obd1

ported head,itr cams, apr connecting bolts, cant think of pistons
nice supsension. body is realy clean

should i trade my 98 dx pretty much stock but lowered for it?

I like the idea of the nicer motor in the 91 but i dunno

whats your thoughts
Old 11-12-2007, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: should i trade my ek for an EF? (streetspeed607)

Simply put, no.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by streetspeed607 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Some one i know has offered me a 91 ef hatch with a build ls/vtec b16 tranny, obd1

whats your thoughts</TD></TR></TABLE>

well it's up to you. what have you done to your motor? what are your plans for your EK?

then there's the maintanence to think about. how well has he maintain it? does he dog the crap out of it? how many miles?

these are all thing you have to think about. personally, if you have to ask this question online, then i suggest you stay with what you have already.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:59 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

I own an EF and an EG. I've driven many EKs and have close friends and co workers that have them. Body for body they all have pluses and minuses, but in general EFs might have more squeaks and rattles than newer EGs and Eks.

Simply put your trade really depends on the condition of the EF chassis, and most importantly, the quality (or lack thereof) of the engine build and swap.

If the engine doesn't smoke, the transmissiob doesn't grind gears, etc. etc. and there are not check engine lights then the trade might be a good one for you.

...but you need to ask why he wants to trade a fully built up car for something stock, but lowered. Either his car is falling apart and you're the "sucker" for him, or he might feel like he's outgrowing a phase and wants something more stock.

Have you driven the car yet?

Modified by B18C5-EH2 at 2:26 PM 11/12/2007
Old 11-12-2007, 10:23 AM

maybe you should some pics
Old 11-12-2007, 03:28 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: should i trade my ek for an EF? (ke98248)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ke98248 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Simply put, no.</TD></TR></TABLE>
It'd be easy to put a swap into your current car, maybe even something you like a little better than an LSVTEC.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

keep the ek, maybe somethings wrong with the ef. build it yourself and be proud of it!
Old 11-12-2007, 03:35 PM

Default Re: (die_lawn)

i agree with die lawn keep yours and forget about his!at least with yours you know what you got,build yours and then smoke his LMAO
Old 11-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont even touch that car. he could have screwed up the build somehow

Lsv FTL
Old 11-12-2007, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

drive it first and are you good friends with this person or did you just meet them you dont wanna become somones sucker

i
Old 11-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IM going to drive the car tomorrow, i checked it out tonight. The dude has all recipts from the motor, and head fork from proflow. The motor has 3K since build. Ls block crank, itr pistons,apr rod bolts, all new gaskets, ported and tanked b16 head, itr cams,b16 lsd tranny, no grinds, adj tokico struts, cant think of springs, car is the the std model, no rust at all!

Im confused, i dont have money to build my current car and its just slow and akward haha.. i dunno
Old 11-12-2007, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (streetspeed607)

IMO i wouldn't buy that esp. with the ls/vtec in it...you don't know if the guy cut corners with the build or not. personally i think if you want something with ls/vtec in it you should build it yourself so you know what is exactly done with it..(but thats just me)
Old 11-13-2007, 06:17 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: (streetspeed607)

I'm not a fan of LS/VTEC set-ups, but honestly if the guy has reciepts, the engine doesn't smoke, and the car drives well then I'd probably trade the guy.

Do you guys have smog laws in NY? Does the EF pass them?
Old 11-13-2007, 06:27 AM

Default Re: (B18C5-EH2)

eks are way better than efs that is a downgrade dont matter the motor, ur car might be worth at least 8 gs if u swap the right motor in it, the ef may never be sold for that much. ever.

for the trade

ur ek
Old 11-13-2007, 06:31 AM
vestalfootball72

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by streetspeed607 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Some one i know has offered me a 91 ef hatch with a build ls/vtec b16 tranny, obd1

whats your thoughts</TD></TR></TABLE>

build your own car
Old 11-13-2007, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i for one wouldn't mind having an ef. if everything checks out and it's up your standards, then i don't see why not.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:40 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: (michael123)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by michael123 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">eks are way better than efs that is a downgrade dont matter the motor</TD></TR></TABLE>

Can you explain WHY an EK is "way better" than an EF?
Old 11-13-2007, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i traded my really clean EG for a lsvtec turbo ef. there were problems with the ef...and i had never worked with an EF before. If you don't have any wiring skills than stay away from it. Do i regret the trade? no. I mean, my car is now pretty damn fast and clean. I do want another ek. If i wanted to enjoy my car for anything more than racing tho..i'd stick with the ek. i'm actually gonna build an ek and keep the EF as a track monster even tho it's gorgeous. Ef=track monster, Ek=clean daily driver.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:34 AM

Default Re: (B18C5-EH2)

to tell u the truth efs are soo hard to work on not really being an *** to ef owners but yea the dificultly level to get it mint and nice is pretty hard.

eks are meant to be clean and daily driven, maybe efs too but they are better built for track use and to build a monster,.

IMO eks looks are way better,
Old 11-13-2007, 09:00 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: (michael123)

I guess I'll disagree with both of you in a way.

Wiring issues?

That's relative honestly. There's nothing that makes wiring things on an EF more difficult than an EK.

If anything EKs are a bitch because they are OBD2, and in smog states it makes it damn near impossible to build higher powered ones because you need to convert to OBD1, but then it won't pass emissions, so you have to try and rehook up the stock OBD2 ECU which will usually throw a dozen codes if it's boosted, or built well and tuned via OBD1 ECU and jumper.

EFs can be left pre-OBD and tuned via Turbo Edit (think freeware pre-OBD version of Hondata). There's no rule that says every EF has to be rewired for anything, unless it's not an Si, EX or HF EF.

Only complications that EFs run into are:

1. 2 injector (DPFI) to 4 injector (MPFI) conversion can be hacked by morons when they do them

2. Swaps require mount kits

3. Less room to work on engines due to more cramped engine bay

...but if this particular car is wired up well enough, and the engine runs well, and the car drives well then I see no reason why anyone would want to keep a stock, slow EK instead.

Looks are 100% subjective, so I disagree with EK&gt;EF also. I like the way the EF, EG, and EK look, but I'm most partial to the EG overall. I own an EG and an EF so I know the ins and outs of them. Like I said before I've worked on and driven enough EKs to know they can be motherbitches to work on too since a lot of people rarely buy the proper OBD2 engine swaps needed to make the wiring/sensors less of a PITA.

IMO EG&gt;EK and EF due to OBD1, no mount kits, etc. etc. but that's another subject altogether.

If this guy cannot afford the time, money, and labor involved in a swap then who the hell are you to judge him and say he doesn't deserve an already built car? I choose to build my own cars too, but I consider myself fortunate to work at a shop. Buying another man's project can be a headache, but if the car is truly built right then I say trade and never look back.

Lastly the EF = track EK = daily isn't 100% true either. Technically you do want the cheapest track car possible, so in that respect then yes EF&gt;anything newer than 1991, but the EK chassis is stiffer and if built identically the EK will handle better - the differences may never be noticed by novice drivers though.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the car ran fine, I'd do it. I was thinking of trading my ek for a swapped ef before anyway. my **** rattles and squeaks anyway...