Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

should i stay auto or switch to 5 spd??

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i stay auto or switch to 5 spd??

Ive been doing my research and working to actually get the money. Well i finally have the money. Now i need to now. I hear doing a conversasion from auto to 5spd is difffcult and it would never ride the same as the factory. Is that something i should be thinking about. I mean I want the car to run. I don't want it to break down or have any probelms. What does it mean when they tell me it won't run as it came from the factory? any suggestions? Note I can't just sell the car or my parents will stop paying insruance for me. lolz. So selling the car and getting another is out of the question. SHould i stay or should i not?
Old 10-13-2006, 11:38 PM

Default Re: should i stay auto or switch to 5 spd?? (tambara)

Here is the ek auto-to-manual swap.. <FONT COLOR="red">This</FONT> is the eg auto-to-manual swap. I love manual trans'.

-Shane
Old 10-13-2006, 11:40 PM

Default Re: should i stay auto or switch to 5 spd?? (nighttrain33)

thanks but im not going to do it myself. one i dont' have the time two i wouldn't want to try. i just want to see if there really is a difference if i do a conversion. will it feel the same as factory
Old 10-13-2006, 11:48 PM

Pm the authors. Luserkid has done this, and he has always been very helpful to me. Fortunately, I bought my car a manual, so I never had to deal with this.

-Shane
Old 10-13-2006, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: should i stay auto or switch to 5 spd?? (nighttrain33)

as far i as i know, for any usdm civic, going from auto to manual will be one of the nest mods you can do. Driving an auto car gets boring in the long run, i ve only had my car for about a year, but the manual tranny kept me from being bored with my underpowered ej8 ( which is the most powerfull usdm civic besides the em1 )
Old 10-13-2006, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Definately swap, manual transmissions are way more fun. Thats my .02
Old 10-14-2006, 12:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (AntiochOG)

Is the car completely stock? If it is, sell it and use that money to buy a manual. There is a possibility that you'll make money in the process. Autos tend to be more expensive that manuals. If you've modified it already, it's really up to you.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

depends what you plan to do with your car. when im in bumper to bumper traffic for afew hrs having stick is a bit of a hassle.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:41 AM

Default Re: should i stay auto or switch to 5 spd?? (john666)

thanks for the response. To the other responses i can't sell the car my parents will stop paying insurance so i must keep the car. It is mod i have magna flow exhaust. Yes I already know stick is a hassle in traffic i live in los angeles and i drive during rush hour. I just so happen fall asleep behind the wheel sometimes so this will keep me up, plus its plenty fun. So could i feel the difference between factory and modded keep in mind my standard tranny is auto. thanks
Old 10-14-2006, 02:10 PM

5spd
Old 10-14-2006, 02:15 PM

Default Re: (SOHC4life 96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC4life 96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is the car completely stock? If it is, sell it and use that money to buy a manual. There is a possibility that you'll make money in the process. Autos tend to be more expensive that manuals. If you've modified it already, it's really up to you. </TD></TR></TABLE>

HE CANT SELL THE CAR
Old 10-14-2006, 02:17 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Felliph3)

YOU CAN'T USE A KEYBOARD.

damn no one answered his question,i wouldnt know but d say if you havea professional do it,then it should come out like factory.he's not asking if manual is better than auto,hes asking if its going to be as good as a factory manual car

Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">YOU CAN'T USE A KEYBOARD.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I DID IT ON PURPOSE!!!!!
Old 10-14-2006, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: should i stay auto or switch to 5 spd?? (oneup)

Its actually(To Me) not that hard, not as hard as it seems. Takes some time. And having everything you need helps alot. If you have any questions just pm me.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:22 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

An auto/manual conversion will never be as clean as a factory manual. You have to cut the chassis, and splice in wires, and tap off others.

Not saying it's not reliable, it's just as reliable as a motorswap.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you dont have an ex, u might as well swap in a d16y8 for a little bit more money, then u will definatly be a lot happier.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:28 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tell your parents your situation. You're really bored with your automatic. And want to get a manual. Sit down and have an adult-like conversation with them and let them know it's something you really want. Make sure to make it clear you wont be doing any street racing. That's probably the reason they dont want you to have a 5spd.

I have the recipe for weaksauce, and the main ingredient is street racing.
Old 10-14-2006, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

ya thats a good point. I mean, why would it matter if u sold the car and got the same model only with a manual? Did your parents buy you the car or was it passed down.
Old 10-14-2006, 06:56 PM

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Tell your parents your situation. You're really bored with your automatic. And want to get a manual. Sit down and have an adult-like conversation with them and let them know it's something you really want. Make sure to make it clear you wont be doing any street racing. That's probably the reason they dont want you to have a 5spd.

I have the recipe for weaksauce, and the main ingredient is street racing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats whutz up!
Old 10-14-2006, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should have made it a poll so I could finally see one that has more than 10 votes and is 100% - 0%.

Swap to manual. I don't know how to say this w/o coming off like an ******* but if you swap auto to man and it "doesn't feel like the factory" then you're a ******* retard.

It'll feel just like the factory (even better) if you do it right.

It's a very simple process and shouldn't even be thought of twice unless you commmute everyday through heavy traffic...then and ONLY then is an automatic more practical (in terms of Hondas).
Old 10-14-2006, 07:06 PM

Default Re: (Felliph3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">An auto/manual conversion will never be as clean as a factory manual. You have to cut the chassis, and splice in wires, and tap off others.

Not saying it's not reliable, it's just as reliable as a motorswap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You don't have to cut the chassis on either 92-95 or 96-00. You do have to cut out a mount in the 92-95 and cut out a piece under the shifter assembly in the 96-00.

No professional will be able to get it to look like it is a factory manual car. If you are trying to hide it, carfax will still tag it as an auto, so anyone buying it will know. You could switch out all the harnesses to manual harnesses but that would be way to expensive and time consuming.

I wasn't suggesting sell the car for a faster more expensive car. If anything the insurance will be cheaper or the same and you'll have extra money in the process. It won't hurt to ask them either, the worst they could do is say no. I'm confused a little, they won't let you sell the car but you can cut it and change the transmission in it?
Old 10-14-2006, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmm i kno a bunch of people that have done this conversion and is as realiable as it could be as long as is done good and yes you will love manual a lot more do it if you got the money you won't regret it just don't let any idiot do it
Old 10-14-2006, 07:17 PM

Default Re: (GdmBlk99SI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GdmBlk99SI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmmm i kno a bunch of people that have done this conversion and is as realiable as it could be as long as is done good and yes you will love manual a lot more do it if you got the money you won't regret it just don't let any idiot do it</TD></TR></TABLE>

Anything is reliable if it's done right. I personally think he should stick with the auto because he drives in rush hour traffic in LA everyday. That would be hell to me. When I did mine I was happy with it, then I had to sit in traffic every other morning and was so fed up with it, I almost sold the car to buy some cheap auto daily driver.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey man, do it! im in the porcess of doing it right now and i am very excited. its not too hard to find parts, and you will be very happy, i know a few people who have done it and it tunred out great!

Quick Reply: should i stay auto or switch to 5 spd??