Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Should I remove the bumper supports?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I remove the bumper supports?

I'm trying to think of ways to lighten up my del sol. Can the bumper supports be easily removed and is it a good idea? Any idea how much they weigh?
Old 04-09-2003, 12:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I remove the bumper supports? (othick)

definitely not a good idea. just imagine if diana ross is out on the same road you are and slams into you? game over for you and your car. be smart, keep your bumper supports.

side note-incase you were a little confused, diana ross was recently caught recklessly driving under the influence here in tucson. crazy old lady.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I remove the bumper supports? (hanson said)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hanson said &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">definitely not a good idea. just imagine if diana ross is out on the same road you are and slams into you? game over for you and your car. be smart, keep your bumper supports.

side note-incase you were a little confused, diana ross was recently caught recklessly driving under the influence here in tucson. crazy old lady.</TD></TR></TABLE>

agreed!
Old 04-09-2003, 05:16 AM

Default Re: Should I remove the bumper supports? (impoor)

Yeah, i definitely agree w/hanson. Safety first man... if not for yourself, for others on the road.
Old 04-09-2003, 05:18 AM

Default Re: Should I remove the bumper supports? (Animal-Chin)

no
Old 04-09-2003, 08:09 AM

Like everyone else said, don't do it.

I was rear ended really bad about a month ago. The insurance totalled the car, but the damage was all cosmetic. I feel as though the rear bumper support saved my rear suspension. Luckily, it still drives fine and it was worth buying back. If it weren't for the rear bumper beam my rear susp, sway bar, exhaust, tailgate, etc., would have been ruined.

It was difference between losing the whole car with a crappy insurance check to compensate and just having a banged up rear end and still have insurance money .

G
Old 04-09-2003, 08:15 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Should I remove the bumper supports? (g_man80)

first, its illegal, when you get an inspection and they tap your bumper your screwed. 2, its unsafe as hell. 3, you better off removing your interior and rear window and hatch for carbon and lexan.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:09 AM

Default Re: Should I remove the bumper supports? (purek9hybrid)

DON'T take it out. If you get in an accident, not only will your car be badly damaged but if insurance sees that it's out you might end up getting ZERO for your car and you could get in a lot of legal trouble. I just got t boned and the adjuster checked out the car INCH BY INCH. I know weight matters to you, it does to me to but the bumper supports should stay for your own benefit.
Old 04-09-2003, 09:12 AM

Default Re: Should I remove the bumper supports? (purek9hybrid)

When they inspect your bumpers? Is that a california thing? I drove a celica with no bumpers at all for 3 years and I never got in any trouble for it. In japan a lot of cars don't even come with bumper supports. How does having bumper supports help other drivers on the road? I don't think I'm going to do it just based on the fact that I will probably sell it one day and I want them in if I do. I'm just wondering if anybody knows what they weigh?
Old 04-09-2003, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by othick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When they inspect your bumpers? Is that a california thing? I drove a celica with no bumpers at all for 3 years and I never got in any trouble for it. In japan a lot of cars don't even come with bumper supports. How does having bumper supports help other drivers on the road? I don't think I'm going to do it just based on the fact that I will probably sell it one day and I want them in if I do. I'm just wondering if anybody knows what they weigh?</TD></TR></TABLE>

They don't have bumper supports in Japan because they have different standards...
Old 04-09-2003, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know on the EF they are not light, I had to remove my front bumper support on my 89 hatch when I put the ef9 front end on. But I wouldn't remove them I know a guy who bent his frame when he hit a pole doing 10-15mph, it probally wouldn't of bent if he had his front bumper support in.
Old 04-09-2003, 10:03 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by othick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm trying to think of ways to lighten up my del sol. Can the bumper supports be easily removed and is it a good idea? Any idea how much they weigh?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I will answer your questions for you. You know what they are for so I won't be like others and say don't do it. The supports can be easily removed. Just remove your plactice bumper cover and remove your bumper supports and throw back on your bumper cover. I don't remeber what they weigh but I would have to say about 15 lbs but please don't qoute me on that. Good luck
Old 04-09-2003, 10:25 AM

Default Re: Should I remove the bumper supports? (vivid02)

firewall mat + all the sound deadening material = 35+ lbs. ALL of it. including under the driver n passenger seat...etc...etc...
Old 04-09-2003, 11:27 AM
crazy eyez killa

Default Re: Should I remove the bumper supports? (GSRslowandswap)

Take that **** out... as long as you're not mentally retarded and you can drive without slamming into other cars, you'll be fine.

Grab your ***** and be a man. Take it out.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I remove the bumper supports? (KURRRRRWA!)

aren't these just 5 mph bumpers anyway?
Old 04-09-2003, 11:50 AM
H-T Poker champion

Are you ******* stupid? Yah.. remove the bumper support. You WILL die in even a minor accident.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Should I remove the bumper supports? (Hatchy-Ownzjo0)

Definately keep those things on. You save what 5 pounds? If you are asking about the 5 mph styrafoam (sp?) bumpers, you can take those out... I did but keep the big *** bar on!
Old 04-09-2003, 11:53 AM
H-T Poker champion

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by othick &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> How does having bumper supports help other drivers on the road?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lets see.. When you get hit by someone the bumper support will stop BOTH cars. Meaning: If you take out your bumper support and get hit head on, the other person will have a face full of your engine.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:15 PM

if it's not daily driven take em out
Old 04-09-2003, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Should I remove the bumper supports? (igyloo)

i took out the rear bumper support but i kept the front.
Old 04-09-2003, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When my friend removed his bumper supports from his 94 hatch, they weren't really that heavy. I guess if you're going all out, and trying to get rid of every last pound...
Old 04-09-2003, 12:41 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hatchy-Ownzjo0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you ******* stupid? Yah.. remove the bumper support. You WILL die in even a minor accident. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Boy that statement and the one you made after it are stupid as ****! So you are saying that if I hit someone doing 5mph I will die!?!?!?!?
Old 04-09-2003, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Should I remove the bumper supports? (93H22HB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93H22HB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Boy that statement and the one you made after it are stupid as ****! So you are saying that if I hit someone doing 5mph I will die!?!?!?!? </TD></TR></TABLE>

That was funny. Bumper support removal threads always gets people worked up. LOL
Old 04-09-2003, 03:07 PM
H-T Poker champion

Default Re: Should I remove the bumper supports? (93H22HB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93H22HB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So you are saying that if I hit someone doing 5mph I will die!?!?!?!? </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's more common than you would think, smart guy.

Old 04-09-2003, 03:23 PM

I drive a gti and the big thing to do in mk3 vw's is to get euro bumpers to do the rear you have to do a lot of work to get the rear rebar to work and it's only a 2.5 mph bumper to begin with so a lot of people take the rebar out and there have been several cars that were crunched up to the passeneger seats in minor accidents because of removed rebars, don't do it you'll end up with a totalled car or dead. Whoever said if you can drive without hitting someone it's ok to take them out is a ******' moron, have you seen the way most people drive? If weight counts that means you are engaged in some type of racing, the safer you are the better.

Quick Reply: Should I remove the bumper supports?