Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

should i heat my springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i heat my springs

i heated my springs on my 92 civic and it done good..it drove good and everything.....but now i have a 8 month old son, and i was wanting to know if its safe to heat them or should i get some coilovers .....................cuz i have heard some ppl say that after they heat them they have broke
Old 01-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: should i heat my springs

if you heat springs it makes them britle if i had an 8 month old i would not risk it i would just get lowering springs its alot safer and smoother
Old 01-07-2009, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No.

Get some lowering springs, seems like coilovers would be a little rough for an 8 month old.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Unless you spend a decent chunk of change on a coilover set they will ride like garbage. Seriously though, if you have an 8 month old riding in the car it's not a good idea to heat the springs because it does make them brittle. Also, I would suggest not lowering the car if you have a little one riding. Anything that makes the car stiffer and more bouncy means less sleeping in the car seat.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:57 PM
In The Garage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't heat springs. i've seen em break and i've seen them simply keep lowering at a rate of about an inch a month. three months his car was ON THE GROUND!

at least take em off, and cut a couple coils off the TOP (not the tapered bottom) of the springs. this will preserve a smooth ride, and doesn't compromise the stability of the sprung steel. I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS. but don't let the little one go hungry for some coils fo sho
Old 01-07-2009, 08:02 PM
GDD GRAMMAR POLICE

My friend a hit a bump with heated springs and they ended up breaking in the front and his car slammed down. Luckily there were no cars around.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, heating tensile spring steel, that's set at a certain spring rate from the factory on a 92, in the front its about 350lbs per inch. If you heat that, it adds more carbon to the steel and changes the molecular compound of the steel. Basically when you heat springs you replace the silicone in the steel with carbon, you create harder steel, and therefore make it stupidly brittle, under high stress such as driving down the road, they break, and well bad news, is all that ensues.

It's also a bad idea to cut coils, that also changes the spring rate, because you have less spring there, which makes it so that the 350lbs per inch goes up, depending on how much of the coil you cut, makes the rate go up exponentially, which makes the springs harder and is hell on the car and occupants of said vehicle.

In other words, very bad idea. And if you have a little one, don't risk it, and hell don't even do it for a car you daily drive, It's just not worth it. At least buy some lowering springs that are on a different spring rate and setup for the height you want the vehicle, and if you do that, upgrade your struts as well. Or fork out for some coil overs.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:20 PM

with a 8 month old i would buy stock struts and shocks. for what its worth . the kid will have brain damage bouncing around in a lowered car. your a daddy now, time to grow up
Old 01-07-2009, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jo6wo
with a 8 month old i would buy stock struts and shocks. for what its worth . the kid will have brain damage bouncing around in a lowered car. your a daddy now, time to grow up

Harsh.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

TEIN S-techs ride smooth, but heat your springs? No way Jose.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 1LowSol
Harsh.
He's exactly right though. If I had little ones they won't be riding in a car that's unsafe for them to be in.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:48 PM

jeesh man no heat, just buy yourself a set of decent street springs, giving you about 1 1/4 drop, take the yellow cone out and using a hacksaw cut the larger round section of the cone off and keeping the smaller top bumper reinstall on the strut with your new street lowering springs.

Do not heat the coils or cut coils off either a stock spring or a lowering spring. Ride stock if you can not do it the right way at this time. Springs are less then $200.00 for the 4 so its not a big expense and less so in the event you blow out a strut or dive the nose into the street because your heated spring shattered while driving.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:57 PM

ull be better of cutting them
Old 01-07-2009, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by VTECHSiLO
ull be better of cutting them
horrible advice...

don't heat or cut your springs... buy some real lowering springs.
kids are expensive, so you should learn now to stop being cheap
Old 01-08-2009, 12:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there should be some lowering spring on here for sale.....not to expensive........
or you could go stock(shocks and springs).....those are for sale on here for cheap to......
Just be safe or you'll most likely end up regretting it in the future....
Old 01-08-2009, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To everyone suggesting that driving a lowered car when you have kids is irresponsible needs to get real (especially jo6wo). Do you even have kids?

To the OP: definetely don't heat the springs. Get some quality lowering springs and shocks. I put Tein H-Techs with KYB GR-2 shocks on my wife's Accord and it rides great. Very silimar to stock but slightly better controlled body motions. No bouncing, no harsh impacts over bumps.

I have two children, an 11 year old daughter and a 4 year old son, and I have never given up my car hobby. You can be a responsible parent and play with cars, you just have to start making smart choices. You're here asking questions and that's a good start.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dren
To everyone suggesting that driving a lowered car when you have kids is irresponsible needs to get real (especially jo6wo). Do you even have kids?

I have two children, an 11 year old daughter and a 4 year old son, and I have never given up my car hobby. You can be a responsible parent and play with cars, you just have to start making smart choices. You're here asking questions and that's a good start.

I completely agree I have a 4 year old and an 18 month old. My 4 year old son's biggest treat is to ride in my EG. He cries when he has to ride in his mom's 06' IS250. I do take him on rides occasionally. Kids are expensive, but with budgeting you can have nice things. I'm in the process of a full out circuit EG build now. Sometimes you need to wait for what you want, but that doesn't mean I sacrafice quality for price.

OP: I would have to agree to get some springs, just for security and ride quality. If you can afford nice coil overs definitely go for them! I look at things like this.... If I can buy it really cheap can I afford to fix everything it breaks?
Old 01-08-2009, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 10 month old and my car is on full Tein SS coilovers.
Since I can adjust my ride height and dampenning on the fly I like to keep keep it a little high (1.5/2" drop ish) and stiff for me. Then when she's in the car it only takes 1 min to change my dampening level and make the ride smoother for her. I wish I had bought pillow ball mounts though so I could have an electonic dampening controler. it would be even sweeter to change the dampening on the fly with the push of a button from inside the car.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by the_honda_guy
he's exactly right though. If i had little ones they won't be riding in a car that's unsafe for them to be in.
thats the reason my em1 is stock height. My baby turns 2 this year. Im dropping that biotch
Old 01-08-2009, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by dren
to everyone suggesting that driving a lowered car when you have kids is irresponsible needs to get real (especially jo6wo). Do you even have kids?

To the op: Definetely don't heat the springs. Get some quality lowering springs and shocks. I put tein h-techs with kyb gr-2 shocks on my wife's accord and it rides great. Very silimar to stock but slightly better controlled body motions. No bouncing, no harsh impacts over bumps.

I have two children, an 11 year old daughter and a 4 year old son, and i have never given up my car hobby. You can be a responsible parent and play with cars, you just have to start making smart choices. You're here asking questions and that's a good start.
he has an infant though.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:46 AM

just throw some ground controls on your stock shocks and call it a day.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Go shovel some snow a few nights or paint someones living room, that will get you enough cash flo for a decent set of spriings, i had megan racing springs on two of my integras theyre under 200 and they lower it really nice and ride awesome.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by driveslow
just throw some ground controls on your stock shocks and call it a day.
Wrong! that would be a waste of time, the stock struts would blow in a month if that.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ser1N
Wrong! that would be a waste of time, the stock struts would blow in a month if that.
I have a '99 coupe with Neuspeed Race springs and stock struts, yeah that's right STOCK struts. Been dumped for 6 years on the STOCK struts and they are not blown out!!!! My car rides better than my buddy's who has Neuspeed Race springs and KYB adjustables...
Old 01-08-2009, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by 1LowSol
Harsh.
Thats not really harsh. It doesnt matter what the car looks like. Do whatever is best for your kid....

Quick Reply: should i heat my springs