Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

should i get this civic?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i get this civic?

ok, so ive been looking for some time now and i came across this forum lastnight and i was looking the buy/sell/trade and i found a 92' hatchback speed jsut like i wanted.
its 4 hrs away from where i live. im really happy but my perents....
please help me think of stuff to tell them and get them wanting to let me get this car.
it has 172k on it and its in real good shape.
and if anyone is intreasted im trying to sell a hyundai elantra IM for detials.(becaus this isnt the place to sell a car.

and how do i get the (trial) thing to go away/end?
Old 06-17-2005, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol

Yeah when I got my Del Sol I had to drive 4 hours to get it. Then drive back without any previous 5-spd training.

You should just look around, you'll find somethin.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:23 PM

im getting better at driving a stick i can get it home thats for sure.
now i just need to tell my parents that i need this car.
parents dont get that driving 4hrs to get a car isnt bad.
they are fine w/ me getting it if i get the $.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:40 PM

Default Re: (MISFITofMAGIC)

This may still get locked because of being in the wrong section. Your trial membership status will go away after a certain number of posts are reached. You wil also be able to PM people on the site after that. As far as what to tell your parents....not real sure about that. You'll probably have to think of something on your own. GL with the sale.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:07 PM

Default Re: should i get this civic? (MISFITofMAGIC)

i wouldn't trust it, unless you've got the money for a swap. I mean 4 hours is a long way to drive, if the car dies on the way back.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

172k...damn, save your money and get a better car in the future...trust me, you'll be happier
Old 06-18-2005, 07:52 PM

172k isnt bad when im plaing on doing a swap.
and all i use my car for now is getting to work im not worried about it shitting out on me my family has 5 cars and ill still have a ride.

im not selling my current car till i get this one and i know that it runs fine.

thanks for the input.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MISFITofMAGIC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">172k isnt bad when im plaing on doing a swap.
and all i use my car for now is getting to work im not worried about it shitting out on me my family has 5 cars and ill still have a ride.

im not selling my current car till i get this one and i know that it runs fine.

thanks for the input.</TD></TR></TABLE>

more info about the car would be fine . like how much or what does it look like any goodies in the car and all that , seriusly when i bough my hatchback I pay 400 $ for it had a engine that had 206.000 miles in it and the headgasket was blown but the car look pretty good so I bough it and after a few days i drope a gsr in it .
Old 06-19-2005, 12:00 AM

im not going to do a swap right away im going to drive it till i can get some money all this car has to do till i swap is get me to work and friends house's.
and if it were to break down i could use a diff. car.

i jsut want to make sure im not getting ripped off.

what are signs of wear and things to look for on this car to make sure stuff isnt going bad or that im getting a lemon.

Old 06-19-2005, 12:23 AM

4 hours to get the car isn't bad at all if its a good one, but that last thing you want is to drive all that way with a cheque in your hand and find out he was lying bout a bunch of stuff. Or worse yet, BUY it and find out after you get home. If you don't know anyone in the area, your best be would be to get him to bring it to a shop for an inspection. Just make sure you find someone who is known to do good work, and is someone that the seller doesn't know. Tell him if the inspection checks out, you'll pay for it and buy the car. If it doesn't....well, you get the idea. And about the parents thing - domestic drivers look at 172k (or whatever it was) and think that the car will fall apart any minute. My car just hit 418,000kms and has no problems (no repairs that weren't maintenence either btw). The high mileage allowed me to get the car for cheap, and the engine won't be needed when I put my LS in after I move
Old 06-19-2005, 01:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just bring it to a mechanic and have them do a buyer's guide and stand there with them and ask them to show you EVERYTHING....like if any parts were replaced due to unknown accidents...or other stuff. Most of the time...the seller will not tell you the truth about their accidents and when the mechanics tell you something is wrong(like there was an accident when the seller tells it hasn't been hit)...listen to them. How much are you planning to spend on this car?...doesn't seem you have to spend alot.

Also, you might want to do a carfax...although I no longer trust carfax...because when i bought my car, right after i bought it...it popped up a police accident report that happen like 6 months earlier . The car is still clean though because it was a very minor accident.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MISFITofMAGIC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
and how do i get the (trial) thing to go away/end?</TD></TR></TABLE>

wait 20 days from the day you signed up
Old 06-19-2005, 09:45 AM

Default Re: should i get this civic? (Huggy Bear)

thanks man that helped how much is it for a local mechanic to look at the car?
im going to go w/ my friend who is a Mechanic if i do ge the car and then i think we will jsut trailer it back home. i talked to him today.
but if he didnt come then ill go to a local mechanic.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:58 AM

Get your friend to go with you. A local mechanic is going to try to rip you off, i wouldn't pay more than $65 for someone to go over my car (then again there's an abundance of import shops where i live).
Old 06-19-2005, 11:18 AM

does anyone know of a place where i can get a loan and have my parents cosign it? i need like 2k.
i jsut need it till i can sell my car. please post any links/places/banks where i could look for a loan.
or if u have gotten a loan pot please!
Old 06-19-2005, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You should check with your local banks.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:51 AM

Default Re: (1995Ex_Sedan)

The miles are high but not real high for a Civic.

It doesnt really sound like your prepared to buy anything at the moment. Learn as much as possible about what you want and what you want to do with it first. Secure a loan and then take your time finding something.

You only want to do this once, buying a car can sometimes be a little overwhelming at your age. I realize you want to swap in a motor but theres so much more to building a car than just picking one up and swapping something in.

Make sure its the color you want, the body is in great shape ie no rust as well, it has the options that you want as well and so on.

You will be amazed at the price difference in some Civics. Ive seen stock cars go for as much as a clean Civic with a swap, suspension upgrades and nice wheels.

Good Luck!
Old 06-19-2005, 01:41 PM

what year is ur elantra? if it is newer...i would think you would have more than 2k to spend on a car (baring any othere sercumstances not mentioned ofcorse, just saying) look around man, u'll be A LOT happier if u look around. it took me 3 months to sell my last car and pick up my new one...... i didnt look around last time and i ended up with a lot of work on my hands, so my advice is to look around.......

also ask seller A LOT of questions.....have ur mechanic friend make a list of major stuff and make the seller send you pictures of everything......close up pics too......

last of all.....this is gonna be ur ride, once u sign the title ur stuck with it so make sure its gonna make u happy.

as for the 4hr ride......that aint **** last weekend i drove my teg 10 hrs to lansing michigan (with my g/f following me) to deliver it to wesman46, then drove my girlfriends car 5 hrs to pittsburgh to pick up my del sol, then drove the 5 hr trip home to norheast corner of pa! (stoped at a rest stop to sleep for an hour) it was a 24 hr road trip total. and then, after arriving back home at 4 in the am i got up at 7 am to go to work at my CONSTRUCTION job. i was jet lagged till thursday.....

the ride will suck though......but as long as u have no problems with the car it should be an allright ride.

ya gotta respect ur rents, even if u dont like what they are sayin its prolly for ur own good......i would look around for somethign closer, possibly better....

whatever u do good luck man
Old 06-19-2005, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a local mechanic shouldn't charge you more than 65$...but if you use your friend...make sure he has some experience with it...my mechanic took like 50 minutes to take me through EVERYTHING.

why would you need 2k for a stock civic with 174k? make sure you negotiate a good price...most likely a car with that much mileage has something to hide and the owner's not willing to let it slip out.

no one on HT will buy an elantra...sorry, its a hyundai. It takes hella long to even sell a nice honda on here
Old 06-20-2005, 01:23 PM

does anyone know of a place where i can get a loan and have my parents cosign it? i need like 2k.
i jsut need it till i can sell my car. please post any links/places/banks where i could look for a loan.
or if u have gotten a loan pot please!
Old 06-20-2005, 06:33 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MISFITofMAGIC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does anyone know of a place where i can get a loan and have my parents cosign it? i need like 2k.
or if u have gotten a loan pot please!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Again.....

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RangerDan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The miles are high but not real high for a Civic.

It doesnt really sound like your prepared to buy anything at the moment. Learn as much as possible about what you want and what you want to do with it first. Secure a loan and then take your time finding something.

You only want to do this once, buying a car can sometimes be a little overwhelming at your age. I realize you want to swap in a motor but theres so much more to building a car than just picking one up and swapping something in.

Make sure its the color you want, the body is in great shape ie no rust as well, it has the options that you want as well and so on.

You will be amazed at the price difference in some Civics. Ive seen stock cars go for as much as a clean Civic with a swap, suspension upgrades and nice wheels.

Good Luck!</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-20-2005, 09:43 PM

Default Re: (vancoland)

yeah, ive been looking and im sure this is what i want, as for the swap im not going to do it till like mid net summer.
im jsut lookin because i know its what i want.

thanks for the help.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its all about the gas milage, economy, and delivering pizzas.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:44 PM

Default Re: should i get this civic? (f1z1c)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by f1z1c &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its all about the gas milage, economy, and delivering pizzas.</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha Ive seen some pretty nice vehicles delivering over at Pizza Hut.....really I aint kidding. lol.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: should i get this civic? (RangerDan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RangerDan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

haha Ive seen some pretty nice vehicles delivering over at Pizza Hut.....really I aint kidding. lol.</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha...my friend used his suped up SI to deliver pizzas for Pizza Hut

Quick Reply: should i get this civic?