Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Should I buy this car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 09:29 PM
.RJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy this car?

I'm looking for a car to beat on at the track, and off the track. I'll probably do a little bit of work with the car - wheels, suspension, rollbar for track use and thats about it. Just to have something cheap. I had been looking for a Si hatch off and on for a while and one popped up in the local paper this weekend.

Specs:
94 Si hatch, 5sp, sunroof, a/c, p/s, 169K on the clock

Interior is in damn good shape. The car looks very good from 5 feet away. But it gets ugly from there. Motor has 60 or 80K on it (i got two different answers from the son and father) and was put in by his brother (or something) who works at the acura dealer. They've had the car about 2 years. Clearly suspicious i brought my compression tester along - 185, 180, 180, 150. Seems fair, the low cylinder doesnt bother me, i'll probably blow it up sooner or later.

The car runs and drives fine but there's a list of problems that i'd need to address:

- Driver's side body panels had been replaced, car resprayed and the driver door wasnt hung properly. Will have to fix the door. All the seams are tight and straight though, no evidence of frame damage
- No front lip (has side skirts)
- No radio (he says he might have stock radio?)
- Nice big dent in front of hood and rear hatch
- Low compression in cyl #4
- Rear 1/4 panel near the bumper had been bondo'd and the rust is starting to show again, but in very very small amount.
- Has the worst cat-back i've ever heard - it sounds obnoxious and it rattles and its entirely too loud. It sounds worse than Warren's ITR for those who've ridden in it. Will need to source a stock exhaust for this thing.
- Car has '3 spoke' alloy wheels. These are ungodly hideous... tires arent in such good shape either. OE wheels nowhere to be found.
- Needs front brake rotors
- Balljoints/bushings seem to be in OK shape. Will probably replace them.

Now i understand used cars are never in great shape - and i assume part of that buying a used car. But there's alot i'd *need* to fix, like the wheels, exhaust, the door and a radio of some sort.

It was listed in the paper for $3000 - the father was not around when i looked at the car so i couldnt negotiate price. I was thinking a price in the $2000-$2200 range would be fair.

Input?
Old 07-19-2003, 09:47 PM

Default Re: Should I buy this car? (.RJ)

All I can say is, thats alot of repairing needed.
Trying finding another Si Hatch and see how much they are going for and the reason i'm saying this is because, say you get the car for $2500 and image yourself spending $5000 on repairs for like door, radio etc. thats around like 7-8 grand right there. (remember this is just make belief). And you find another Si hatch that needs less repairs for about $7 grand. I'd rather go for the second Si, so basically try finding other Si hatch's IF POSSIBLE so you could compare. Try looking down the road on how much your gonna be putting in ($$). See which one would be worth the money. Hopefully thats makes sense.
Old 07-19-2003, 09:50 PM
.RJ

Default Re: Should I buy this car? (TwinkyDinkie)

$7000 for a 10 year old civic hatchback? No thanks... i'll pass.

The way i see it is i can probably pick up a stock (or aftermarket/OE type) for cheap. The wheels, i was going to pick up rotas anyways. CD players can be had for $150 or less. And the door just needs to be re-hung by a competent body shop. I imagine it would take someone who knows what they're doing no more than an hour to 'fix'. Its just an annoyance. The car is very straight and looks very good from 5 feet away. I have no idea how a door, radio and exhaust adds up to $5000.

Like i said, i'm not looking for a stock/mint Si. Why? They're damn near impossible to find and/or they command such a high asking price.

RJ
Old 07-19-2003, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It doesn't sound to bad RJ now if u can the price down to 2200 or less I think it may be a bargain seen as how the Si has way more features than any standard DX/CX/VX eg .. and honestly I've seen people buy cx egs for 3000 with worse damage.. and who needs a radio.. and you should rock those 3 SPOKE rims what are they Antera good luck on negotiating with the Father
Old 07-19-2003, 09:57 PM
.RJ

Default Re: Should I buy this car? (IM ALL BOB)

the 3-spokes look like they came from sears

I guess a better question for the thread would be more like 'what price should i shoot for' because i do like the car. I just need to get the price down. Hell i could fix it and make it stock/mint and sell it for $5000

Anyone in Va/DC/Md have a stock Si exhaust, cat-back?
Old 07-19-2003, 10:02 PM

Yeah of course thats alot thats why I said "(remember this is just make belief)" so you could see the POINT i'm making. But ya most probably hard for you to find another hatch. If you could get it for $2000 or even $2200, you most probably got a deal.
You probably could get it for $2000, ur probably wondering "ya okay...anyways" well go and give the seller $2000 CASH. Most people can't resist CASH especially if they saw 2 grand infront of them. If he still says no, explain to him all the repairs you'd probably have to go through.

Just my opinion. Worth the try.
Old 07-19-2003, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

honestly I wouldn't pay more than 1800 with all those problems.. but that's me.. I hate used car shopping but what purpose will this serve you RJ.. daily driver or track car? I would think Daily driver since you choose to accept the sunroof and added weight the Si has over a CX or VX
Old 07-19-2003, 11:08 PM

Default Re: Should I buy this car? (IM ALL BOB)

I think anywhere from $2000-$2500 would be an okay price.

The things that are wrong with it, besides the dents, are not terribly bad. The low compression isn't too favorable, but if you're going to be tracking it, how long will an 80k mile engine last anyway?

Wheels are cheap, a used OEM exhaust is fairly cheap, a cd player is cheap. Buy it for $2000, dump $1000 into it, and you'll have yourself a decent everyday beater that can be used at the track. And, with the dents in the hood and the other body damage (not the door), you won't be so concerned with door dings or rubbing a wall.

What color is it? Just curious
Old 07-19-2003, 11:16 PM

Default Re: Should I buy this car? (delsolguy)

if u want a track car why get the si, get the lowr modle upgrade to 4 disk brakes and save ur self the weight from the si. I wouldnt buy all that problems. forget the si, get the other models and work on them alot cheaper
Old 07-20-2003, 06:18 AM
.RJ

Default Re: Should I buy this car? (gezer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gezer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if u want a track car why get the si</TD></TR></TABLE>

More power than the other hatches, sunroof, p/s and a/c (i like those things). I'd rather just leave the motor stock till it blows up.
Old 07-20-2003, 06:29 AM

If you can talk him down to around $2200 then it sounds like a good deal. I would keep looking around. It sucks waiting, but there are some really clean/stock hatches out there. Look for older people with hatches.. Good luck

What usually happens is, you'll buy this hatch, then a week later you'll find this super clean hatch for sale. That's the kind of luck I have.
Old 07-20-2003, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He isn't going with the other models because he has racing plans in the future, a swapped hatch doesn't fit nicely in to an affordable class.

I went with him, car had obviously had a decent amount of damage, but if it's got a clean title I can see 2-2.5k being fair.
Old 07-20-2003, 06:41 AM

Default Re: (JMU1337)

Seems preety fair. Lowball as much as possible.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:32 AM
.RJ

Default Re: (Pho Real)

Settled on a price of $2500 with the seller. Pick up sometime this week.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:56 AM

Default Re: (.RJ)

You got ripped. Hope you used KY.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No he didn't, try finding an Si hatch around here for less than 3500.
Old 07-20-2003, 12:00 PM

Default Re: (dragonhaven2001)

No he didn't, save your KY fantasy statements for your boyfriend.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:38 PM
tangb2023

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Settled on a price of $2500 with the seller. Pick up sometime this week.</TD></TR></TABLE> i say is good deal for a 94.. say u spend a extea grand on exterior .. thenu got a clean *** car,, door panel u can find for 30 bucks...but plan on a swap.. most used cars have ball joint prob..
Old 07-20-2003, 02:44 PM
.RJ

Default Re: (tangb2023)

One of the board members is hooking me up with some OE steelies/hubcaps and a stock axle-back. I'll pick up a b-pipe from midas or somewhere, they're cheap.

The car doesnt need any body work really, just needs the door to be re-hung properly. I might have the front bumper re-sprayed and a stock front lip installed at the body shop. At which point the car is stock and pretty damn clean.

So for an extra $500 i've got a pretty damn clean Si hatch.

RJ
Old 07-20-2003, 03:05 PM

Did you ever find out how much mileage the engine has on it?
Old 07-20-2003, 03:10 PM
.RJ

Default Re: (delsolguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by delsolguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you ever find out how much mileage the engine has on it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope. It runs well enough and D16's arent terribly hard to find if i blow it up.
Old 07-20-2003, 04:29 PM
.RJ

f!@%!#%!!!!

The guy called me back this afternoon and we agreed on a price. He said it was not neccesary to bring him a desposit, and that i would pick the car up tues/wednesday of this week. I would have done this yesterday, except the father was not there to negotiate price after he said he would be. I figured it was a done deal.

He calls me back this evening "uh, yeah, i went ahead and sold the car, sorry"

F@!%#%!!!!

Anyone know where to find a EG Si?
Old 07-20-2003, 04:38 PM

son of a bitch! what a fcuktard
Old 07-20-2003, 07:31 PM

Default Re: (Pho Real)

You'll be happier in the future. You'll find a better deal.
Old 07-20-2003, 08:00 PM

Default Re: (dragonhaven2001)

Oh damn, sorry RJ. But I do agree with dragonhaven2001:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dragonhaven2001 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You'll be happier in the future. You'll find a better deal. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Quick Reply: Should I buy this car?