Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Should be easy for you guys? A/C Question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Should be easy for you guys? A/C Question?

My a/c used to work great! I got in a front-end collision. This smashed my condenser. I replaced my condenser and it worked again for a couple days, then had to replace my compressor. Ever since, it's been working... just not well. It never gets COLD. At night, in the rain, or any time it's not warm outside, it appears to cool very well. But during the day, you can hardly tell it's cooler than outside temperature. I checked the pressures and everything checks out to be fine. (High and Low) Everything is filled up to where it should be and there are no signs of leaks.

I took it to an A/C shop so I can get my COLD back. All he said was that since I replaced it with a NEW condenser from Autozone, that's my problem. He said it had to be a Honda Factory condenser to get cold and work again. Is this true? Or what else should I do? Anyone have a similar problem? Thank you. My 2 year old and me would APPRECIATE it!!
Old 07-23-2010, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Should be easy for you guys? A/C Question?

Originally Posted by jonathankahan
I checked the pressures and everything checks out to be fine. (High and Low)
What were the high/Low pressure readings? And what were the engine rpms and outside temperature when the test was done?

He said it had to be a Honda Factory condenser to get cold and work again. Is this true? Or what else should I do? Anyone have a similar problem?
It's possible. What specific aftermarket condenser was installed and how does it compare to the OEM one?
Old 07-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does the fan on the condenser run normally? may be inop due to damage...
Old 07-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what year is your car BTW?

I'm not a fan of autozone stuff, since OEM condensers are relatively cheap
Old 07-23-2010, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't remember the specific readings, but a mechanic said they were very normal. I remember they were both in the blue. The condenser fan comes on as it should. As far as the brand of condenser, not sure about that. It's a 99 civic EX. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does the A/C blow COLD if you spray cold water from a hose directly onto the condenser?
Old 07-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I haven't tried that, but like I said, when it rains it gets as cool as it gets. So if I sprayed water on the condenser on a hit day and it DID get cold, what dies that mean? I know my fans come on.
Old 07-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, spraying water at the condenser makes the A/C pretty cold. What does this mean?
Old 07-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The condensor is what turns the freon gas into a liquid to absord the hot air from the cabin.

If by throwing cool water on the condensor the A/C blows colder, means that the fan isn't doing it's job or the gas is sooooo hot that the condensor fan cannot do an efficient job turning the gas into a liquid. The condensor is considered the high side and the compressor is low side. This doesn't rule out the fact that you compressor may not be doing an efficient job compressing the gas or it could be pushing the gas through so fast it's not cooling it properly.

Could be a clogged condensor, clogged evaporator (this is under the dash I think) or bad compressor. I would buy an OEM Honda compressor and see if that's the issue.

Also, if you could get the actual pressure readings from the A/C man, it can help you figure out what's going on b/c for any pressure there is a pretty specific temperature corealtion (sp?) and for cars, if the outside temp is 85*F and the temp of the air coming off the condensor is 115*F, the high side pressure should be 243psig.

I think it's the compressor, this is really the only variable to the equation, considering the A/C was cold prior to the accident.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jonathankahan
Yes, spraying water at the condenser makes the A/C pretty cold. What does this mean?
It is consistent with the A/C mechanic's opinion that your aftermarket condenser is not able to do the job needed to produce COLD A/C.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
It is consistent with the A/C mechanic's opinion that your aftermarket condenser is not able to do the job needed to produce COLD A/C.
I missed the part where he said the condenser was aftermarket, but I would agree with you. The condenser is not sufficient.